Ship Caught in Exciting Storm off New Zealand

>Captain Yiannis Avranas was accused by the passengers of leaving hundreds behind with no one other than the ship's onboard entertainers to help them evacuate.

Rather like Captain Voutsinas of the Yarmouth Castle who, likewise, fled in one of the only lifeboats to escape before the boat deck became impassable. "To coordinate the rescue."

>Memo to self: NEVER sail on a Greek Liner.

Especially one that is older than one's parents.

>It is my guess that the Cunard captains would probably consider it absurd for them to do a song and dance act in the ship's show

They probably would consider it absurd, just as they probably consider it absurd to pose for several thousand meet and greet photos each week which mostly go unsold. My point being, if the board of directors told them "You have to. People like it" they would sing and dance.

For a Captain to abandon ship before his passengers are off is beneath contempt. He's a God damn coward. He should have his Masters License stripped. How any man, passenger or crew, could board a lifeboat before the women and elderly, is beyond me.

Human decency is gone.

>For a Captain to abandon ship before his passengers are off is beneath contempt.

"God damn the passengers. If I had a gun, I'd shoot the passengers."

~LaBougogne officer, July 4, 1898.

Familiar with the Vizcaya? Quite a chilling affair. Ocean liner en route to Havava from NYC. Rammed by a schooner, and sank like a stone, while still very close to NYC. Quite a few Vizcaya survivors clambered aboard the schooner, which soon began to sink as well. Regarding the Vizcaya survivors, the captain of the schooner advised his crew "Damn them, and save yourselves." Which they did, leaving the survivors to sink for a second time. A handful made it through the night by climbing into the rigging. Both wrecks are popular dive sites.

>>He should have his Masters License stripped.<<

If I recall correctly, he did. If nothing else, nobody ever offered him a job as the master of any vessel. Unfortunately, incidences of the captain and crew abandoning their passengers to their fates are all too common.

From The New Zealand Herald:

Tourists on cruise from hell fight back
quote:

A Thames woman is calling on fellow passengers to join forces after their P&O cruise to Vanuatu ended in a terrifying, white-knuckle return journey to Auckland.

Dianne Connors and her husband, Bruce, were on the 47,000-tonne Pacific Sun when it rolled wildly in high seas north of New Zealand on July 30. The ship was at the end of an eight-day return cruise to Vanuatu.

Though they escaped physically unhurt, Mrs Connors is having counselling. She has used the three sessions offered by P&O, but will need further treatment.
Two page story begins at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=165&objectid=10529730

Back