Ship's lights

vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver at anchor, less than 50 meters in llength. Probably with illuminated gear like a dredge. If ne light is actually green, seen from stab'd side. Rule 27(b)

Here is one more video
Should not the bigger ship display red sidelight? Or this green one is not sidelight at all?

The all lights in this video are flickering, except the green light and the lighthouse’s light.
I am thinking about Mr. Gibson. If all Titanic’s lights were flickering why did he think the masthead light was Morse lamp?
Could a flickering light be mistaking with Morse lamp at all? I have never seen Morse lamp, but I believe it should be different kind of flickering.

Here is one more video
Should not the bigger ship display red sidelight? Or this green one is not sidelight at all?

The all lights in this video are flickering, except the green light and the lighthouse’s light.
I am thinking about Mr. Gibson. If all Titanic’s lights were flickering why did he think the masthead light was Morse lamp?
Could a flickering light be mistaking with Morse lamp at all? I have never seen Morse lamp, but I believe it should be different kind of flickering.

Possibly, but as I understand it, the flickering would have to be very regular. Otherwise Mr. Gibson, paraphrasing the immortal words of CDR Bart Mancuso in The Hunt For Red October, might have mistaken the "Morse lamp's" alleged message for dimensions of a pinup model.
Demonstration of Morse signal lamps by Royal Navy

Thanks.
It is hard to imagine how a flickering g light could have been mistaking with the Morse lamp.
Maybe at the time Mr. Gibson first saw the Titanic something was going on with the power.

Back then, coal was the fuel in the boilers. Coal gives off lots of smoke. Normally, when a ship was underway, the smoke was left astern. However, when a ship was stopped in cold, flat calm conditions and in a temperature inversion situations, the smoke will hang about just above the vessel and swirl around. I suspect that Gibson was seeing smoke swirling around the foremast light. In the following photograph, imagine the same situation with a temperature inversion.
ss badger 16x9 1.jpg

Incidentally, have you ever considered what happend to the Table cloth of steam vapour over Titanic as she sank?
sinking at 4 miles.jpg

I don't know what is "the Table cloth of steam". Could you please explain?
Perhaps the following modification of Titanic at 3 miles, bow down and showing a red light might do?
sinking at 3 miles.jpg

Incidentally, if a rocket burst ws seen through water vapour, the light spectrum may have been broken up... much like a rainbow, and that might just explain why some witnesses saw lights of different colours?

Back