Successful and/or famous descendants

One of my online friends related an interesting rumour -- that Ravishing Rick Rude (real name: Rick Rood) of WWF and WCW fame was descended from a Titanic victim. (Hugh Rood, I assume, but she wasn't specific. She knows as much about the Titanic as I know about wrestling.)

I don't know if Mr. Rude is a descendant of Mr. Rood (or anyone else on Titanic), but this got me wondering: are there any descendants of Titanic victims or survivors who have gone on to great public success or fame for reasons other than being a descendant? Any corporate CEOs, university presidents, bishops, prominent scientists, or the like?

There is a highly successful drag racer named John Force, who has won several championships. I've always wondered whether this is a family connection between him and Madeleine Force Astor. Force is not a very common name, so I would imagine that a family connection isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Hi, Tracy,
Can't answer your question, but Madeleine's son with John Jacob has relatives here in West Palm Beach who are romance writers. They don't have many good things to say about him. Apparently he was a mean ol' son of a gun who had little interest in family ties. I've tried pumping them for more information but they don't like to talk about it. However, JJ Jr. founded the Winn Dixie Supermarket chain here in Florida, which features Astor-brand canned foods and frozen foods, many of which can be found in my cupboard at this very moment! (And not because of the link to Titanic, but because it's cheaper than Green Giant!)

Kyrila, that's very interesting to know about JJ Jr. and Winn Dixie. We have Winn Dixie stores here where I live and I've seen Astor brand products. I'd always wondered if there was a connection and now I know. Thanks!

Hopefully, someone will be able to answer my question about John Force being related to Madeleine. This is one that has been bugging me for a long time.

I know of a famous relative of Mr. and Mrs. William Angle. Perhaps you've heard of him, David Hudson??

ps. Geoff, I got your email, thanx. I emailed you a second question regarding the Angles but I never got an answer. I think its my server. Don't hit reply, type my screename in the address box.

All,

Lucy Lady Duff-Gordon's grandson, Anthony Giffard, Earl of Halsbury, who passed away January 14, 2000, at the age of 91, was for many years an important figure in business and politics in England.

A scientist by profession, "Tony" Halsbury was a Fellow of the Royal Society. He began his career as a research chemist, having studied physics at Chelsea Polytechnic and earned a 1st class external degree from London University in 1935, the year his celebrated - and notorious - grandmother died.

(Tony told me that, in-between classes and trying to support his family, he used to walk from his lodgings in Chelsea all the way to Lucy's house in Hampstead to have lunch or tea with her. He remembered how they used to talk, play cards, play the piano and sing, although she was then developing bad health in the form of sciatica which proved due to breast cancer. "She was great fun, " he said, "and we were fast friends.")

After a time with Lever Bros., Tony spent 2 years at Decca Records where he and a team of chemists developed an "unbreakable" vinyl disc.

As Managing Director of the National Research Development Corporation, a job he came into as a Labour Government appointee in 1949, Tony blossomed, leading advancements in technology in the burgeoning field of computers. Through his work with NRDC, he is considered today to have been one of the true pioneers in Britain's computer industry. He later served as president of the British Computer Society which still maintains as its logo a design of Tony's based on his own family crest.

Tony went on to serve on the Science Museum Advisory Council, as Governor of the London School of Economics and Political Science, and as Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Civil Engineers.

He also chaired the Institute of Cancer Research. Although a defender of the use of animals for medical experimentation, Tony authored a private member's bill in the House of Lords to regulate conditions for laboratory animals.

From 1960-62, Tony was Governor of the BBC and during this same period chaired the Committee on Decimal Currency, the findings of which body lead the way for England's conversion to the decimal system. He also designed several of the new coins.

In 1967 Tony Halsbury served as founding Chancellor of Brunel University, a position he maintained till 1998.

He would later chair the Review Body on Doctor's and Dentists' Pay and the Department Committee Inquiry into the Pay of Nurses and Midwives. The former proved contentious and he was obliged to resign. The latter ended more happily with the committee being enabled to recommend higher pay raises for nursing personnel than the Government had previously approved.

Tony's later years were spent in drafting and finally presenting before the House of Lords (in 1996) his controversial Obscenity Bill in which he called for a legal redefinition of p~~~~~~~~~. This bill did not pass the House and though his disappointment was great over its defeat, he was far more troubled by the bill proposed in 1998 to abolish hereditary peerage rights in the House of Lords.

As his grandfather, the 1st Earl, had been in 1909, Tony was a staunch opponent to the proposition of altering the historic composition of the House of Lords.

(The 1st Earl of Halsbury had been a notable personage, serving as Lord High Chancellor -"Keeper of the King's Conscience" - for 17 years in three Conservative administrations, the longest tenure in the history of that office. He is best remembered today as author of the definitive "Halsbury's Laws of England.")

It was fortunate for Tony that he did not live to see the outcome of the House of Lords debacle which would have hurt him terribly.

He suffered a massive stroke in August of 1999 and though he showed periodic signs of his former self, he required constant care and was moved to a nursing home in Dorset where one of his daughters looked after him.

I was to have visited Tony in October at his invitation (made during my last visit with him the previous March). He wanted to show me some scrapbooks he'd recently come upon, one being an album he and his sister had kept of the summers they spent with their grandmother at her house at Versailles.

My last letter from him was to the effect that "the guest room is ready, my friend" and so "is your chair and mine before the fire." But days scribbling in my pad at his side were not to be.

It was with some concern that I wrote him after not having received a letter in some time; we had written twice a month for nearly ten years. I was naturally broken-hearted when I received a letter from his daughter telling of his condition. I offered to keep my date and come over if I could be of any help at all. But there was nothing to be done but send the flowers which I expect he never saw.

He died the following January. I was not able to attend his funeral but I did make it over for the special memorial service held for him in April at St. Peter ad vincula.

It was my farewell to "Tony" and indeed a tribute I was honored to pay to this great man who had befriended me across class, cultural, and generational lines, who opened his heart and his home to me so that as he as looked into his well of memories, I might record them for posterity. I will never forget the privilege he bestowed upon me and I hope my work, when it sees the light of day, will do justice to him and the loving memories he so thoughtfully shared.

Randy

Hi Randy

First I must say that the mail you posted is one of the best things I have seen posted hear in a long time. Sorry if this offends anybody but it would seem the message board is quickly becoming a chat room for board and sad people. If they are not fighting with each other then they are talking about anything but the Titanic or other ships. Moan over back to what I was talking about.

Randy like you Anthony Giffard was a personal friend of mine and we talked on numerous occasions. I also on one occasion went with his daughter to Dorset on a visit to see him at the nursing home when I was down there talking to another relative about a completely different thing. I do have his daughters telephone No if you are interested and I believe she has most of his collection .

Like you Lord Halsbury has a very special place in my heart and always will. Although very dignified he also had the charm and whit of a real gentleman, and would stop at nothing to help people he thought he could.

Regards
Graham

Graham,

I am glad you knew and liked Tony too. I am still close friends with both his daughters, Clare and Caroline, both of whom are very warm-hearted and giving people. Like me they've been slow to move into 21st century computer technology but now they have e-mail! And after corresponding by letter for years, it is odd to sit down and dash off a note in an instant!

I do not know Tony's son, Adam, whom I understand does not use his title. I met him only briefly at the service of thanksgiving. His tribute to Tony was very emotional.

May I e-mail you with some questions?

My best,

Randy

Michael & Kyrila,

You are both kind friends as always. I hope when we all ETers someday meet I can share my pictures and letters from Tony. There aren't too many people I know here who care much for my work.

Mike, I assume your computer bug problems are now subsided? You and I seem to have bad luck that way!

And Kyrila, I wish you luck in your Titanic Talks (and on your book).

My best to you both,

Randy

Hi Randy, I'd be thrilled to meet with you whenever the opportunity comes. Perhaps if Phillip Gowen can arrange another get-together in South Carolina...

Fraid my computer bugs haven't entirely vanished. This bloody Microsoft ME must have been designed by gremlins and Mr. Murphy of Murphy's Law infamy. Updates just don't want to install. Still, my e-mail works, I can websurf as needed, and I can chat with my friends. That's what's important.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Hi Randy

Thank you for replying to my mail on ET. You may contact me by private e-mail any time, And if I can help I will.

The link beside this message should take you there.
I will look froward to talking to you later.

Mike
Yes I agree that windows ME was designed by gremlins I am seriously considering getting rid of this program and working from a earlier edition. Microsoft forgot to say that this edition is not workable for commercial use. Bugs galore and more crashes than the M1!

Regards to both
Graham

Randy,
I care about your work. Your tireless dedication to researching Lucile and her family has been an inspiration for my research into Stanley Lord's life. I greatly look forward to meeting you one day. I second Mike's invitation to any subsequent South Carolina get-togethers.

Mike and Graham. I'm still using Windows 95. It works just fine and I haven't seen a reason yet to fix something that isn't broken. I've used Windows 98 on a friend's computer a time or two and I don't see much of a difference between it and 95.

Back