Successful and/or famous descendants

I would like to lead in to the subject a little differently with this post.

To begin with, yesterday we had the opening of the baseball season at the Oakland ball park (Oakland, California). In the adjacent building, the Coliseum, Paul McCarthy was giving a concert. It was quite something.

Let's all join in for a song . . .

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out to the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks,
I, don't care if I ever come back,

and its

Root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
And it's one, two, three strikes you're out,
at the old baaaaall game!!!!"

[Note: when you sing "one, two, three strikes . . ." you are supposed to supposed to thrust out your hand with one (index) finger up, then two, then three --- and then clench your fist with a thumb up (pointed toward the bench) to signify "You're Out!!"]

Now, this leads into the subject: Titanic passenger Edgar Meyer had a sister named Rosalie, who married the nephew of Levi Strauss, Sigmund Stern. Stern later ran Levi Strauss & Co., the jeansmaker that became the largest apparel-maker in the world. In fact, Sigmund and Rosalie's grandson was Walter Haas, Jr., who owned the Oakland Athletics baseball club. His son, Walter J. Haas, only recently resigned from the A's executive administration.

Take me out to the ball game . . .

(Message edited by jcnielsen on April 3, 2002)

(Message edited by jcnielsen on April 3, 2002)

Chancellor of Brunel University, John Anthony Giffard, 3rd Earl of Halsbury, F.R.S., F. Eng. (1908-2000), grandson of Lucy, Lady Duff-Gordon, shown here in a portrait by his nephew, Sir Douglas Anderson, a court painter by appointment to H.M. Queen Elizabeth II.

50880.png

Social welfare activist Juliet, Lady Rhys-Williams (1898-1964), niece of Lucy Duff Gordon.

50881.png

Thanks, Randy, for sharing those great images. You're fortunate to know some of these people, but it's no wonder they've opened their doors and hearts to you. Your tribute to Anthony Giffard back in 2001 (above) was superb. I'm glad you posted something recently on this thread so that I could stumble across it.

Warmest regards,
Doug

Hey Doug and Phil,

January 14 was the anniversary of Tony's passing and I wanted to remember him.

Yes, I am fortunate to have gotten to know Lucy's kin, not because they're aristocratic but because they're such warm and generous people. Wealth and titles are impressive, I suppose, but this family is rich in kindness, too.

I'm glad you guys liked the pictures!

Will some of the relatives come to BTS? Well, maybe to the private dinner, if you'd like them as your guests. I'm sure they would enjoy meeting everyone. It will most likely be the two great granddaughters, Tony's daughters.

Randy

My great grandfather, Mr. Walker (i don't know his first name)had a ticket for Titanic, but he missed it. Or at least that's the story he told. Is there any way for me to find out if this is true? If it is, i guess that makes me a survivor of Titanic. (Sort of anyway.)
Rachel

Yet another installment of famous/successful Duff Gordon relatives:

Two of Lucy Duff Gordon’s great nieces are still active.

Susan, Lady Glyn (nee Rhys-Williams), who lives in Paris, is a noted sculptor and designer in stained glass. A series of her bronze medallions were once commissioned by the French Mint. The French Ministry of Culture has endorsed her work as well. She is also a poet. One of Lady Glyn’s most recent sculptures is her "Pink Phoenix" which was commissioned by the Princess of Wales Hospital in South Wales in 2001 and was unveiled in the summer of 2003. Lady Glyn is the widow of the writer Sir Anthony Glyn. She is the last relative of Lucy Duff Gordon who actually knew her.

Mrs. Elspeth Chowdharay-Best, who lives in London, is a spokesperson for the British initiative ALERT, an anti-euthanasia education and lobbying group. She has no memory of her famous great aunt but does recall her equally prominent grandmother, novelist Elinor Glyn, Lucy’s younger sister. Mrs. Chowdharay-Best is the widow of the well-known lexicographer and researcher for the Oxford English Dictionary, Dr. George Chowdharay-Best. Mrs. Chowdharay-Best is Elinor Glyn’s literary executor.

this is an old picture of some of Fr.Thomas R.Byles relatives taken by Albert J.Byles. from left to right my aunt Maude Byles, my grandmother Emily Byles, my uncle George Byles. in front my mother Florence Annie Byles, my uncle Albert Byles. My Grandfather Albert James was a cousin to Fr.Thomas Byles.. and nephew to Sir William Pollard Byles, who was given title for a gift of land to the manchester ship canal.. he died in 1918..

Back