Mark VII

Hello forum members,

Question: did Frank Browne take the tender Ireland or the tender America to Queentown’s harbour?

On page 94 of the book Father Browne’s Titanic Album the America is mentioned, but I doubt whether that’s correct. One of the last photos Frank included in his famous album was of the starboard anchor being raised.

Titanic_anchor_Queenstown.png

This photo could only have been taken from the Ireland, which was docked on the same (starboard) side. The tender America was on the other (port) side of the Titanic and it’s difficult to imagine that Browne first boarded the Ireland to capture the image and then switched to the America.

There could be an alternative explanation. A book that a great grand nephew wrote about Frank includes a story (page 33) in which his uncle – who was the bishop of Queenstown – came for Browne with his own boat. If it docked on the starboard side, Frank could also have taken the said photo of the anchor. However, I have not read this story anywhere else, nor do I see any visual evidence in books and websites (including this one). Or am I missing something?

If not, then I assume that Frank went ashore with the tender Ireland, the same the Odell family took. It’s a pity that they didn’t include Browne in one of the photos they took aboard the tender. That would possibly have solved the question what camera Browne used. He had his camera out because Frank shot – like Kate Odell – photos from the deck of the tender. To be more specific: he took the penultimate and Kate the final photograph of the Titanic afloat.

Back