THE AKS FAMILY

mark

HELLO. I NEED HELP ON THE SURVIVNG RELATIVES OF THE AKS FAMILY. I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THEM AND ALTOUGH THIS SITE IS WONDERFUL, IT DOES NOT HAVE INFORMATION ON MAYBE ABOUT FRANK AKS FAMILY(AKA FILLY AKS). PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME ON THIS. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. PLEASE EMAIL ME.

Hey Mark- only took us a YEAR- this is Harry and Sarah Carpathia Aks Weintaub- Frank's brother and sister. This was taken in 1991 after Frank's funeral. We believe they are both still alive. Photo courtesy of M.A. Findlay
15738.jpg

opps- make that TWO years Mark. Frank's wife Marie and daughter Joyce are in this picture- Joyce died in 1995 but other child Barbara Morris is still alive.
15741.jpg

That's sad news, Michael, I'm sorry to hear that.

There cannot be many "Titanic siblings" still with us - I wonder what stories they have to tell of their conversations with their brothers and sisters.

By the way...

Doesn't Shelley deserve some sort of award for her sharing of all these wonderful pictures on the various threads of ET and her own website? They're fascinating. (Thanks too to Michael for providing/taking them)

best wishes and Happy Easter 2002,

bob

(Message edited by bobfalange on March 29, 2002)

Hi Bob,

Shelley is extremely deserving of an award. She is truly a special person - and has given so much to the Titanic community through her kindness and generosity. Her loving tribute to Walter Lord last month truly earned her a sainthood position in my book - so thoughtful of others and doing good deeds. I've known her for almost 20 years.

I don't have an exact count of just how many "Titanic siblings" are still with us, but there are many out there. Some of the many young Titanic victims still have brothers and sisters alive around the world as well.

I only met Dr. Aks after Frank's funeral in 1991. I believe he lived in Maryland at the time but will have to check. If memory serves me, Harry was born two or three years after the Titanic disaster - 1915 I think he told us. He was just as friendly as Frank, and was so pleased that so many of his brother's Titanic friends came to remember him. Naturally, during the course of the luncheon following the services, Dr. Aks did mention the Titanic and how much that tragic event shaped his entire family life. He admitted that he was "mildly interested" in the subject having heard tales of the sinking from his mother over the years. He never wanted to become the "family spokesman" to Titanic researchers and allowed "Big Brother Phil" to do that. After all, his brother was there too.....although just a ten-month-old baby.

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. I hope you have a joyous holiday as well.

Best,

Michael

Today re law some you file of the Titanic and finds I articulate of the Washigton Post of 1912 where it says that Frank I do not arrive AT the Capathia with its to mother if not who in another boat in the arms of to another person… immediately pense in it drinks that Violet Joseph alleges to have rescued. Somebody save the identity of the supposed man? Sorry by my english!

It sounds like there was a little mix-up in the paper. Frank loved telling this story of how two women (one his mother) claimed him as their infant, and it was by the fact of his circumcision and his strawberry birthmark that Leah proved "ownership". The baby was taken to the ship's surgeon's cabin and examined. I think it was Elizabeth Nye who cared for little Frank in the lifeboat. So technically , he did not arrive at Carpathia in the arms of his mother indeed.

Dear Shelley:
Sorry if my English is not very understandable. Thank you very much to share this history, nonwise of her. You say to me that it is possible that the woman who care of Frank is Elizabeth Nye and who in the Carpathia two women decian to be the mother of the small Frank, the true mother (Leah) and the other woman, without name. Thank you very much to answer this doubt

Hi, Leah Aks's son Phillip Aks real name was Ephraim Fishel. And Americanized he was called Frank Phillip, but was known as "Filly" when he was young. According to articles I have read he was a very religious man in his Jewish faith, till the time of his death.

Hi my name is Carla Cohodes I live in Houston Texas and I am the granddaughter of Lillian Aks. Her mother wasTilly( Toube) Aks. I’m trying to find out the relationship between her and Leah. One of my cousins told me a story that Toby bought a ticket to sale on the titanic however then she decided it was too expensive and gave it to a family member. Don’t know who that would be. She’s listed as deceased in the manifest back that was probably just due to the fact that she gave her ticket to somebody else and they didn’t find her. She came over another boat. I know I have family in Norfolk Virginia. We resided in Kansas City. I’d love any information anybody has thank you so much

Back