I guess this is what I have work with then. So does anyone have any info to contribute to the John Jacob Astor VI information topic? Any Questions. I saw a photo of young JJ and I think he is a good mix of both parents. I wonder is Vincent had any say over his younger brother's education or did J.J.'s stepfather make all those decisions.

Sorry, George. I tried!

J.J. Astor VI was born on August 14, 1912. Before his father died, he had set up a $3 million dollar trust fund for him, to be inherited at the age of 21. Vincent and J.J. VI did NOT get along very well. Vincent wanted nothing to do with him, as he had never approved his father marrying Madeleine in the first place.

J.J.'s young life was strongly shaped by his mother's amorous dealings with William K. Dick and later Enzo Fiermonte. For more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jacob_Astor_VI

In his later life, he was known as "Jack". When Vincent Astor died in 1959, he left Jack nothing at all.

Its easy to understand why Vincent didn't care too much for J.J Astor VI. I might would feel the same way had my father went after such a sweet young thing and doing my mother that way.

Thanks Jason And Mark.

Hi Darren,

Well then it was stupid for Vincent to blame an innocent little baby and that baby's Mother for his parents problems. Col. John J. Astor made his own decisions.
It wasn't Madeleine's fault he left his first wife nor her Son, J.J.VI. J.J.VI was Vincent's brother or half brother.

quote:

I might would feel the same way
Oh me too. Vincent and Madeleine were about the same age ~ creepy! I would be appalled at my father were he to do such a thing. Perfect example of mid-life crisis syndrome.

I agree George, that it is NOT fair to "blame the child for the sins of the father", but just the same, if you were Vincent, every time you'd look at #VI, you'd be looking at what happened to your family and be reminded of the unpleasantness of it - not to mention the folly of your father. That's hard to do for a lot of people.

If I were in such a situation, I don't think I'd be all that friendly either. I'd be resentful. Right or wrong, that is how I'd probably feel, and it IS how Vincent felt. I think that I, too, would be happier by having as little to do with J.J.VI as possible.

And it's not as though J.J.VI or "Jack" made himself very likable either. He was very self-absorbed and actually became quite a playboy and womanizer when he grew up. Of course, Vincent did not approve of this.

Vincent was furious with Jack for NOT taking any part in WWII (as he himself had worked for President Roosevelt -a distant relative- as well as for Allied Intelligence), and practically excommunicated Jack for deliberately faking mental illness so as to not be recruited by the Draft Board.

In addition, Vincent was upset with Jack for NOT putting what money he did have to good or charitable use, as he himself actively did.​

quote:

Of course, Vincent did not approve of this.

Poor Vincent ,Poor Vincent. My heart bleeds for him, until I think that Vincent kinda dug his own grave in regards to how his brother turned out.
Vincent has no one to blame but himself for the way Jack turned out. If he had been more of a father figure. Who did Jack have to raise him but Mama and Mr.Dick. One was just a stepfather with two boys of his own and Mommy probably spoiled him, "because he doesn't have a father." As I said if Vincent didn't like the way his brother turned out he has no one but himself to blame. Actually Jack kinda sounds like his Pappy the Colonel in personality.​

I actually met John Jacob Astor VI in 1983. My infant son & I were on a train on our way to NYC and we met him on a train. We had a lively conversation, he was a friendly gentleman. My son is a Chanler and is therefore a direct descendant of John Jacob Astor so we had much to discuss. He spoke about his parents and the Titanic quite casually.

Back