The Captains Tub

I have nothing against you, Jen, but I think Paul is right... We've got plenty of good pictures of Capt.E.J.Smith's bathtub to satisfy our curiosity. Let's just give the old sailor some dignity and let him rest in peace by leaving his bathtub where it belongs on the Titanic...

Paul,
I agree. What would be accomplished by bringing up
artifacts that were already have been documented
photographically, where they create more visual
impact in their environment, rather than restored
and under floodlights in a museum?

Dan

Dear, Paul William and Dan, I took what you wrote to heart, I too agree that there would be no point in bringing up the Captains tub. Thank you for helping me to realize that I was wrong please Accept my apology. Jen

Please Jen, there's no need to apologise! Certainly not to me anyway. Until I saw the Titanic Exhibition some years ago in Greenwich, (UK), I was quite keen on the idea of bringing up any and all "relics" from the wreck.

However, I found that seeing items all buffed up in display cases under spotlights, with thousands of noisy oiks running around caused me to have a change of heart. It just didn't FEEL right, if that makes sense.

I still understand the attraction though. And, as someone said on another thread, if an item of significance could be salvaged which would add to our understanding of what happened, (like the scrap log for example), I'd be all for it.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul, I think I was the one who spoke about the log. I'd love for it to see the light of day, though I would wish for anyone BUT RMSTI to find, conserve and read what it has to say.

It's not much of a secret that I have strong reservations on the salvage recovery issue. I probably always will. While I have no problem with somebody trying to make an honest buck or two, RMSTI's enterprise, as far as I'm concerned, is going way too far. They ain't got no respect!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

LEAVE ARTIFACTS ALONE! DO NOT DISTURB THIS MASS GRAVE. If you want to know why then visit the salvage message board for a number of excellent points.

I believe that there's a lot of rust currently engulfing Cap. Smith's bathtub. With this in mind, maybe it's a metal tub with some sort of enamel coating. There's no way we can really know this, I'm not a bath expert. Maybe the original plans could tell us...

William,
I'm no expert either but I am currently renovating a house that has a similar tub from the same era. This one appears to be, as you say, a metal tub with an enamel-type coating.
I would imagine that through the years the enamel coating would crack with age, allowing seawater to penetrate to the metal, an easy task considering the awesome water pressure at that depth. Any chips in the coating caused by falling debris or pre-sinking defects would also contribute to this process. The rust would then leach through the cracks. Some of the rust on the tub could also be stains from fallen 'rusticles' from the ceiling above. Those are my uneducated observations.

This is something I heard from a movie (think it actually was Indiana Jones: Last crusade).

"Ask yourself, why do you seek the cup of Christ? Is it for he's glory or for yours?"

I guess bringing the bathtub up is something in that direction. Theres no point to it.
But then again, that's only my opinion.

Well said, Pierre! That sounds about right to me.

Although I sometimes think that some of the Titanic artifacts should be brought up to save them before they are eaten by the seawater, I still think Titanic needs to Rest In Peace. 88 years, and still no one will give the poor souls of the Titanic a rest.

ADRIANNE

Hi all,
i think we should bring to the surface as much as possible from titanic to bring it back to its former glory for all to see up close.
If i was a passenger i would have wanted as much as possible saved even if i was not.....

shane.

Back