The experience of the wrecking

There was no air inside the stern "trying to get out." Any air in spaces open to the sea would have been compressed to ambient pressure every step of the way, and any sealed spaces would have contained air at sea-level pressure until they imploded.

In any event, those within the ship wouldn't have felt the pressure increasing, because they would all have drowned within a dozen or two feet of the surface.

The human body is not crushed by pressure at depth - the current free diving record is 170 meters, well over 500 feet.

Well, I hope you're right Alicia. I don't like to think of people with eardrums popping or very much worse etc., but I'm still not so sure. Re the ambient pressure, that's the answer to the fish question above, isn't it? Deep sea fish don't 'explode' if brought to the surface because the pressure inside them equals the pressure outside. Many deepsea fish surface at night (as Inger can testify via her dive boat odessy's...)?

Deep sea fish don't 'explode' if brought to the surface because the pressure inside them equals the pressure outside. Many deepsea fish surface at night (as Inger can testify via her dive boat odessy's...)?
Depends on what we define as 'deep sea', but some marine animals do traverse quite a range of depth. I've seen photos of an oarfish near the surface, taken by divers, although usually they'd only be seen there if sick or dying. This one was still alive. The Chambered Nautilus is capable of migrating from depths of 450m to within 90m or less of the surface. Gas in their chambered shell enables them to maintain a neutral bouyancy and accounts for their remarkable range. Because they came up at night, dive boats adopted the practice of setting traps for them overnight, then releasing them during the day so divers could photograph them in daylight conditions. Unfortunately, so I heard recently, the return trip to the depths at that time of day left them open to greater danger, and the practice is now discouraged. Marine mammals, such as sperm whales and Weddell seals, can dive to remarkable depths.

Marine biologists collecting at depths of, say, 200 feet take a needle to pierce the swim bladder of specimens they collect in order to avoid the problems associated with gas expansion.

Free divers do indeed make it to remarkable depths, but there are physical adaptations and effects that take place during their dives. Among the many things that happen to the human body under pressure, the spleen compresses and releases extra blood cells which assists trained divers, and the lungs compress. Current theory on shallow water blackout - one of the biggest problems facing freedivers - suggests that the problem arises when re-expanding lungs 'suck' oxygen from the diver's blood.

I think the imagination of a dozen people, mysteriously having survived the sinking and spooking around the sunken wreck in an air pocket sounds like a story for a creepy movie.

From what I understand, if a human body is imperilled great depths the air filled spaces in compressible areas of the human body like lungs, middle ears, sinuses, nasal passages, stomach and intestines shrink so much that the blood leaves the capillaries to fill in the spaces. The record in free diving lies at about 120 metres depth (= 393,7 feet). If that's the limit a human body can go I wouldn't want to imagine how it would crush these organs it in 2.5 miles depth. I'd say there's no chance that anybody trapped inside the ship would've reached the bottom alive.

Regards
Christine

Yes I agree Christine. No way would they have survived until the Titanic reached the bottom, but even a surviving just a few feet below the surface trapped in the ship would be pretty awful... And that is what I am wondering. Is it more than likely even if it were just for a small period of time would some people have experienced this - even if it were for just 3/4 minutes.

I'd imagine those enclosed in the ship experienced those final moments like a trauma. Loosing the ground under their feet, the ingress of the water, furniture and/or instruments breaking loose and assailing onto them... It must've been hell. I doubt they had much time and given the circumstances that's probably the best that could happen to those poor souls.

Regards
Christine

G'day Christine! How goes my favourite Bailey's lifter?

I think the imagination of a dozen people, mysteriously having survived the sinking and spooking around the sunken wreck in an air pocket sounds like a story for a creepy movie.
Already been done, hasn't it? Not with the Titanic, but a fictional vessel in a miniseries? I still have unwelcome flashes of it when I'm diving wrecks and I look in portals. Can't help but recall the scene that has a diver look in a portal, only to be suddenly met by a face looking out! As ridiculously, laughably far-fetched as the scenario was, there was something terribly eerie about it. Something similar was shown in an episode of Seaquest DSV, tied in with a ghost story. Of course you had to look past the plot devices such as the 'innovative' cover funnels that enabled them to make the ship air tight...it took suspension of disbelief to new heights, and that's before you even get to the supernatural elements. Still, that last scene with the ship lit up on the bottom of the sea had its own creepiness. Some (smaller) wrecks in tropical waters are illuminated from within at night by bioluminescent 'flashlight' fish. I've never seen it, but have heard descriptions from those that have.

You're not far off with your description of what happens to the body's cavities at depth. Barotrauma - pressure related injuries - are one of the first lessons taught to a scuba diver. Failure to equalise your ears and sudden pressure changes can result in injuries even at comparatively shallow depths - shore divers are warned that even large waves going overhead in shallow depths can cause inner ear barotrauma. Of course, the situation isn't quite the same as it is for free divers or those sucked down in a shipwreck, as divers are breathing compressed air at the ambient air pressure, which then expands if trapped (say in lungs, sinus cavities etc) as the diver re-ascends. However, most people would be familiar with the effects of pressure on the ear if they dive into deep water - it is necessary for free-divers as well as other divers to constantly equalise the pressure in their ears. Failure to do so results in at least discomfort, and at worst inner-ear 'squeeze' and finally a rupture. Discomfort may be alleviated temporarily as the blood fills the cavity and achieves equalisation.

The most radical change in pressure occurs within 10 metres of the surface. Above that we have one Atmosphere of pressure. At 10 metres that is 2 atmospheres, at 20 meters it's 3, etc etc. So within that first 10 metres, the pressure has doubled.

Those who were sucked down would have experienced noticeable discomfort in the ears primarily - it is necessary to equalise every few feet, and I doubt that they were doing this. However, as they would have been drowning or suffering debris related injuries, I doubt that this was paramount for them.

>>Already been done, hasn't it? Not with the Titanic, but a fictional vessel in a miniseries?<<

Perhaps you're referring to Goliath Awakes? I saw this flick at the Topeka gathering Erik Wood hosted a couple of years ago. We got a good chuckle out of it.
wink.gif

Maybe it is possible that people could have been trapped inside the Titanic once she went under in an air pocket. But if they had surly it would have been very very short lived before the compartment they were in were fully flooded. I would think if this did happen ( dose anyone really think it would have ??? ) then it would have only been for about 3/4 minutes max - and they would not have had any comprehension of what was going on - and that the ship had gone under.

But maybe this whole idea is mad. The fact that the Titanic broke in 2 surly means that the likely hood of air pockets would be more unlikely as I imagine this would have caused her to flood rapidly with such a big hole. The Titanic breaking in two would make a huge hole for water to surly get in everywhere.

But having said that did Titanic’s stern not get so twisted and deformed because of escaping air on her way down — so maybe even with such a big hole from the break up she did not fully flood once submerged — hence all of this is likely.

One thing I do think - if anyone were inside the Titanic in an air pocket it would have been very short lived before that compartment were fully flooded and no way would it have got to the stage of eye balls popping.

I wonder what the realism of this is ?

I don't think there was too many people below deck in the stern section, aft of the split. If there was I think(hope) they would have passed away quite quickly, I imagine the stern would have filled with water very rapidly.

All the Best,
John.

Call me squeamish, but can we stop all this speculation about what it was like to die on Titanic? Having said that, I see from re-reading the thread that I was the one who actually started it. Sorry .....!

What's that line from the Perfect Storm? When, after what could have been closure through a dream, the partner of one of the drowned fisherman gives a primal cry of "But what was the final moment? What was the final, final thing?" That need to know, to understand, haunts some loved ones for the rest of their lives. Fear of what that unknown end could have been can lead to hideous conjecture with which the survivor torment themselves. Others simply experience denial and refuse to contemplate it. Some fit in between the two extremes.

For those without that personal connection, however, there seem to be several impulses at work. We can be terribly conscious of a need not exhibit an intrusive, morbid fascination; the urge - or suspicion that we or others feel the impulse - to rubber neck seems repulsive. But at the same time, there is a need to 'bear witness'...to try to understand and acknowledge the pain and suffering of those who died that night. That is something I think many here are very conscious of not losing sight of in all our fascination with rivets, frocks, professions, social manners, drama and personalities.

I don't think it's your fault at all for bringing this up, Monica...the somehow compulsive need to know can exist uneasily with the contradictory feeling that it's either not appropriate or that the information (or speculation) is just too painful.

Back