The Irish Aboard Titanic Pictures

As a scullion (basically a dishwasher) Collins earned £3 10s per month, which was pretty good by the standards of the time especially if you bear in mind that he got bed and board on the ship for no charge and had no children to support. In terms of purchasing power, that would equate today to very roughly £200 ($400 US) per month, and it was all money in his pocket - no income tax except for very high wage-earners in those days. :) Collins lived at a time when a working man was paid sufficient to cover basic needs and a little extra. He had no experience of car expenses, high fuel costs, phone bills, holidays abroad, a large wardrobe or a huge range of consumer goods to tempt him. He would have been quite happy with his £3 10s.

Grrr, It's been months and my book's still not here!!! Oh well, guess I'll just have to keep waiting
happy.gif

Hello again,

I apologize for not being on the board in months, but my family is getting ready to move to a different city and we're under a lot of pressure right now.

I ordered my Irish Aboard the Titanic in March, and it still hasn't come now, in mid-August. I'm really eager to see the pictures of Hanora O'Leary, Helen Corr, Annie McGowan and Julia Smyth. I was wondering, approximately how old are they in the pictures shown in the book? I'm only asking this because it might give me a better idea of what they look like, because my Mom says the book might never come.

quote:

I'm only asking this because it might give me a better idea of what they look like, because my Mom says the book might never come.

I hope it does!
shock.gif
Is there any way to check on your order or hopefully do you have insurance? Sometimes parcels in the mail are late as well but it depends how late the book is. I hope it comes soon. If you moved recently that might be factor as well in the book's late arrival but I'm sure your aware of that. I hope it comes soon.​

Thanks, George, for the support. We haven't moved yet, but we will in a matter of days and if the book comes to our home city once we've already left, it will be forwarded to our new house.

Again, I'm not trying to be demanding, but I woudl really like to know anything about the ages of the four people in the photos I mentioned in my previous post. I've been yearning to see what these four passengers looked like for years, and yet with the prospect of the book not coming in months, I'm beginning to lose hope. I'm going through a lot of depression due to having to leave all my friends, relatives and home, and anything about the photos would be a spark of home for me, something to enjoy and hang on to, and a reason to keep looking forward to the arrival of my book.

Hi Holly,

I just know what it's like waiting for something. Especially a book. I got Alison Weir's new book about Katherine de Swynford and John Of Gaunt on hold and it won't be published in the U.S.A til Jan. 2009. January looks pretty far away.
sad.gif

I hope Senan Molony sees this and sends you some pic's or somebody does or posts them here. I too would like to see the pictures of the Passengers you mentioned.

Thanks for the sympathy, George. It is pretty hard waiting, but I'm trying to make the best of it
happy.gif

This is the first post I'm typing on my new computer in my new house, and I'm pretty excited to be living here because it's the first city I've resided in that has a Titanic Survivor from it.

Another thing that's really hard to wait for is movies. I'm still mad that they moved Harry Potter 6 from November to July. It's so far away!

quote:

I'm still mad that they moved Harry Potter 6 from November to July. It's so far away!

That's got my Nephews up in Arms. I'm still counting the days til my Gaunt & Swynford Medieval Extravaganza book comes in. It had better be good. I hate waiting for something that ends up being a flop. Although I liked all Weir's other books. So I am so with you, Holly on the waiting.
sad.gif

Congrats on the Move.
grin.gif
So do you like your place. I like to move but hate the actual moving. Like everybody else I know.
happy.gif
I hope you settle in OK and have everything is were you want it and looks good.
happy.gif

No book yet, but I had a dream about it. In the dream, the book had a very blurry black-and-white group photo of several Irish survivors, including Miss O'Leary and Miss Corr, in their old age. A few pages later there was a brownish-type photo of some teenage survivors including Jack Thayer, some random crewman, and Helen Corr. She was wearing a white dress and had red hair. A bit later there was a blurry photo of Jamilia Nicola-Yarred and her brother, and I was wondering why they were in the book since they're from the Middle East, and I was also confused because they had pale hair and skin and Elias looked just like my Grandma's uncle as a kid. Plus, the picture was said to have been taken as they were boarding a lifeboat. Then I flipped back to the picture of the teenage survivors and it turned into a colored picture of a bunch of middle-aged people.

I really like my new house. It's already starting to feel like home.

quote:

I really like my new house. It's already starting to feel like home.

I for one am glad your liking your new home. No book yet. I'd wait a week then get on the phone with either the Post Office or the place you ordered the book from.​

After a not-so-tactful remark that I will probably never recieve this book, I sat down to think about it and realized that it's probably true.

In the face of this, I was wondering if anybody on earth could tell me what the pictures of the four girls mentioned at the start of this thread (Nora O'Leary, Helen Corr, Anna McGowan and Julia Smyth) look like in their pictures, since I'm never going to see these pictures myself (I'm making a scrapbook of pictures of young survivors.) How old are they in the pictures? What are they wearing, what is their hair like? It's not like I'm one to dwell on people's appearances it's just I've been waiting months and just a bit of information about them is better than all this agonizing waiting.

Isn't Senan Molony, the author, on these
threads? If you're reading this, or if anybody else is who knows anything about the book, could you please, please, please respond?
happy.gif

Best regards,
Holly

Alzbeta, I thoroughly suggest a visit to your local library. They might have the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. If so, you can request the book The Irish Aboard the Titanic. I'm not sure if they can get it for you, or how much it costs for such a service in your new hometown, but we should hope so. After looking on a library database, I found out libraries worldwide do have the book you are looking for.

While a visit to your library is one possibility, I have thought of another. I have the book The Irish Aboard the Titanic signed by Senan Molony. If you want me to, I can scan the desired photos and send them to you via e-mail. That is, of course, if you don't want to use the ILL system. Anyway, I hope I was helpful in any regard.

Ben, I'd like to thank you for your sympathy and understanding during this time. You've been like a friend, always answering my posts and replying kindly, and I'm really thankful for that.

It would be wonderful if you could scan the pictures to me, but I have to ask my Mom first for permission to give out our e-mail address. I just wanted to let you know so you were aware I'd seen your message.

Many, many, many thanks,
Holly 'Alzbeta' Peterson

Back