The Officers' Bathtub

>>And in a lot of places they still would. However, plumbing was well in use and even expected on the liners, especially the crack express liners of the North Atlantic which were expected to have the latest in just about any innovation.<<

Well that explains it for me.I knew that baths did not have taps connected back in those days. I did not realize that she was that luxguished.

A plumbed-in bath could have the taps directly mounted on it (at the side or one end) or separate but obviously directly above the tub - same options as today. Very few people, of course, could afford such a luxury in their own homes. For most, bath night involved hauling a portable tin bath in front of the fire in the back parlour and filling it from kettles of water heated on the kitchen stove. It was common in those times (and much later) to keep a kettle permanently on the boil, so that tea could be made or hot water supplied for washing at any time.

>>For most, bath night involved hauling a portable tin bath in front of the fire in the back parlour and filling it from kettles of water heated on the kitchen stove<<

That's what i thought Captain Smith had.Which i was proven wrong lol.

Back