The Portrush Letter

I highly enjoyed this article - I've read it three times, now.
My thanks to Senan Molony for taking the time out from his busy schedule to study the letter and write the article for us.

As one of the people who had decided not to believe that an officer shot himself on that fateful eve, I found it rather thought provoking to learn certain things of Officer Wilde.
I am now choosing to further my research research into the officers lives before Titanic.

It is a great article - the photos are a superb addition, Senan! (and yes, I'm sheepish that Jeff and I never sorted out uploading them to On Watch - but they'll get a very wide audience here). All the cameos of various figures involved in the disaster are fascinating, but of course the most striking one is Wilde. Smith's recollections allow him to step out of background obscurity for a moment...particularly in his relationship with his wife, and his grief at her death. So much of that sadness we have to infer from official records, but the letter gives you a more intimate glimpse of what he must have suffered in losing her.

Great research there!

Well, there wasn't much crafting involved, actually. The letter speaks for itself.

I still don't really know what the author means by suggesting McElroy may not have "got down so far."

But you're right, Inger, the pictures help bring it alive, and that's down to Dan Moore, decent man.

That letter was an excellent contribution. After reading it again I now realize what John Smith meant when he wrote, "I don't think he [McElroy] got down so far, for he was a clean big fellow." It appears to be a reference to McElroy's alleged comment to Lightoller that "it looks as if we will have sand for supper tonight." To me "got down so far" was John Smith's way of saying that McElroy would not make it to the bottom of the Atlantic because his frame was too buoyant to sink. And in a sense he was right. McElroy's body was recovered by the MacKay-Bennett but later buried at sea on the 22nd April 1912.

Denise and Samuel,

Many many thanks for that, especially the link....you probably won't believe this but I actually live in a small town in Northern Ireland, right on the North Coast called PORTRUSH!!!!

regards,

Don

Back