The possible role of fire in the sinking of the Titanic

but the coal bunkers served to make the flooding uneven by partially holding back the water from free flooding across the entire beam, correct?
No, the coal bunkers were ran transversely. There were no longitudinal obstructions in a boiler room except for the 16 ft diameter boilers themselves.
1690220794674.jpg

So last night I couldn't fall asleep again and ended up watching a few video's on Titanic. One had a new theory, well new to me that is. Don't remember hearing it before. It involved the coal bunker fire. The theory went like this. The reason Titanic was going so fast was because of the coal fire they had to shovel that into the boilers to get rid of it. They were using more coal than needed producing more steam that had to be used up by going faster than they normally would. Which caused them to run faster that night and hit the berg. Of course none of this made sense to me for all the various reasons. I was just surprised that the author of many Titanic works would even put that theory out there.

No, the coal bunkers were ran transversely. There were no longitudinal obstructions in a boiler room except for the 16 ft diameter boilers themselves.
View attachment 113030

Thank you. For some reason despite having the engineering book from the time she was built and other documentation I’d read over the years it escaped my mind that she had transverse rather than longitudinal screening bulkheads, which renders that model I referenced dubious at best.

H&W actually did excellent work with the basic design architecture; free flooding from beam to beam is why she didn’t capsize, period. If she had been double hulled the argument over carrying the bulkheads higher would be meaningless, the ship would have been resilient against anything; as it was, with lessons learned from “Titanic” they produced some fabulously rugged ships— as their later Justicia showed.

A never ending problem with all these social media platforms that are out there. Worse yet is when journalists or producers try to do some honest research for a story, they have no idea where to find credible sources anymore.

Back