The Queen Mary: Future, Past, Present

Marko

What will become of this ship in the end? I watching the TV show "Fear Factor" and they where doing one of the stunts from her decks. Anyways, i just wanted to know a thing or two about her, like size, comared to Titanic, luxury, glamour, top speed, engines. And also, what was taken out of her when it was decided that she would spend the days sitting there. She looks to be a bit rusty at the sides too.Does she still have her motors? I may be mistaken, i'm not sure if she is in use or she;s just a dining ship now? or a museum? anyone been on?

thank you,

marko.

I live 15 miles from the Queen Mary (makes it easy for me to drive to the THS Conventions, when they're held on the ship).

Queen Mary is longer than Titanic, and more gross tonnage.
As the ship won the Blue Ribband, "she would have easily passed the Titanic" (yes, I know the TITANIC was not meant to be a "speed demon").

When the ship arrived in Long Beach, the engines were removed (according to the tour guides, they were taken out via the funnels). The original funnels were taken off, and "wasted away". What is now on the ship are recreations.

The ship could use a little "polish work".

Right now, she is a floating hotel, as the first-class cabins are available; I have heard conflicting statements about whether the second-class cabins are still used. Third-class and crew cabins were NOT converted to hotel rooms.

Many special events are held there, and several shops are open on the Promenade Deck. There are also three restaurants, and the Observation Bar.

BTW, the ship is still a good location for films. The most famous is "THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE" (pre-tidal wave scenes). The ship "stood in" for the TITANIC in "SOS TITANIC".

I think one episode of "Charlie's Angels" (early years: "Farrah, Jacquie, & Kate episodes") was filmed the Queen Mary, as was the 'Werewolf On The Cruise Ship' episode of "THE NIGHT STALKER" (yes I'm giving away my age).

I'm not sure which was the most recent film or TV series to be filmed there. The most recognizable scenes, to me, were from the opening credits of the 1998 version of "THE PARENT TRAP" (when Dennis Quaid's and Natasha Richardson's characters were supposed to be on the QE2, in 1987).

Right now, the ship is set to commemorate the anniversary of it's final voyage.
IMHO, the City of Long Beach will probably do what it can to keep the ship a viable attraction, especially with the new Cunard terminal set to open up next to the ship.

Won't it be "truly something" if the Queen Mary 2 is berthed next to the Queen Mary. I, for one, will be there with "plenty of film in my camera".
Jason and I will have to rent a chase boat, for that day.
happy.gif

John Clifford

John said: "Won't it be "truly something" if the Queen Mary 2 is berthed next to the Queen Mary. I, for one, will be there with "plenty of film in my camera".
Jason and I will have to rent a chase boat, for that day."

We definitely will have to do that John! Sounds good to me!
happy.gif

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Clifford. Any get togethers planned in the near future? I spoke with the grandson of Anna Turja, and he said he would like to meet up with everyone again.
RE: QM1 & QM2 together, I am pretty sure I read that QM2 main port is going to be Long Beach. (Captain Wood, you out there?????) What a great boost for QM to renew interest in the great ship, a real photo opportunity, and free publicity for the line. I would imagine that many on the QM2 will stay overnight on the Queen Mary if they disembark in Long Beach, just for nostalgia.

There is a truly excellent, be all and end all site about the QM past and present at:
http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/index.html

Queen Mary is much bigger than the Olympic and Titanic. She's also a ship of a different era. What's more she's Scottish! My grandfather and great grandfather both owrked on her prior to the December 1931 work stoppage. They have just started to demolish what remains of the john Brown Shipyard at Clydebank, which I think is a shame.

And oh what a fitting tribute the producers of "Pearl Harbor" paid to the QUEEN MARY.

However brief, a prop. shot of her starboard bow
exposing her name,
QUEEN MARY was well enough to honor her tenure as a troop ship, which would subsequent 7 Dec. '41.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

To the original question, "What Will Become of the Ship?"... Marko, I have been on the Queen Mary. There is a group that have a 66 (or was it 99 year?) lease on Queen Mary. They're doing TONS of restoration onboard (i.e. "restoring" the deck planks, fixing leaks, renovating staterooms [when I went, B deck was completely being renovated] and just returning it to its original 1930's glamor...)

The Queen Mary didn't start making money until the early 90's, but now it's quite profittable; the city of Long Beach were even thinking about scrapping her back in the 70's. Now, however, with Carnival building its new terminal there, QM will REALLY start raking in the money... I think the QM will be there for a VERY long time...

Just to add a little more, the "cubby hole" cabins were gutted and either turned into larger hotel rooms, or convention centers. Some, I believe, were taken out to house the entrance to the Queen Mary Museum...

Colleen:
Do you mean Long Beach will be one of the QM2's World Tour ports? I believe its main ports will be Southampton and New York... I hope, though, that the Queen Mary 2 will join the QM1 for a few days in Long Beach...

-D.O.

Would like to see a Mission Impossible or MCU movie have some action scenes on the Queen Mary in Long Beach and that could easily increase recognition of the ship.

I stayed on the Queen Mary about 9 times while I lived in LA. I posted some videos to my YouTube if you want to see her interiors: YouTube

Only 1st Class cabins are currently in use. Public Rooms are only open during events etc and some are closed off completely outside tours and ghost hunts (Mauretania Room & 1st Class Pool). She's amazing and I will remember my time there forever. It was definitely neglected, but I also kind of enjoyed that things hadn't really been touched. The veneered walls are actually made of an extinct tree and are still just as beautiful as ever. I've been on many tours and have seen the 2nd and 3rd class areas, but unfortunately (but as expected) they're stripped of fittings so it's just bare bones stuff.

It breaks my heart to think she is running out of funding but I've heard it since I even started staying there. Just the cost of replacing metal on her hull cost them about 4 million dollars. I always asked to stay in the original suites so I got to see some beautiful rooms, but I guess some of them are more modernized too (though I don't know why you'd want to stay in those). Mostly I just always loved that I could experience an old steamship in it's grandeur as she's one of the very last remaining.

I stayed on the Queen Mary about 9 times while I lived in LA. I posted some videos to my YouTube if you want to see her interiors: YouTube

Only 1st Class cabins are currently in use. Public Rooms are only open during events etc and some are closed off completely outside tours and ghost hunts (Mauretania Room & 1st Class Pool). She's amazing and I will remember my time there forever. It was definitely neglected, but I also kind of enjoyed that things hadn't really been touched. The veneered walls are actually made of an extinct tree and are still just as beautiful as ever. I've been on many tours and have seen the 2nd and 3rd class areas, but unfortunately (but as expected) they're stripped of fittings so it's just bare bones stuff.

It breaks my heart to think she is running out of funding but I've heard it since I even started staying there. Just the cost of replacing metal on her hull cost them about 4 million dollars. I always asked to stay in the original suites so I got to see some beautiful rooms, but I guess some of them are more modernized too (though I don't know why you'd want to stay in those). Mostly I just always loved that I could experience an old steamship in it's grandeur as she's one of the very last remaining.
thanks for the link!
I think you should stick to the happy memories you have of her and hope for the best :)

Very sad indeed to hear the state of the ship. As a young boy sailed on her and never forgot the one day of a very rough Atlantic weather waves size of a hill crashing down her hour after hour. Pitching badly to the point you hear the propellers grinding away bite bite bite with that vibration shudder and then followed by the raiser speed of the propellers. The stressed on the hull must be awful and after so many years to. Much can be said for the state of USA Liner too. I am afraid building ships out of steel to last for ever is not the best material to use. Still those heavy plated battle ships have a better chance of a longer life in retirement yet.
I still have an ambition to her one day looks like the sooner the better.

Very sad indeed to hear the state of the ship. As a young boy sailed on her and never forgot the one day of a very rough Atlantic weather waves size of a hill crashing down her hour after hour. Pitching badly to the point you hear the propellers grinding away bite bite bite with that vibration shudder and then followed by the raiser speed of the propellers. The stressed on the hull must be awful and after so many years to. Much can be said for the state of USA Liner too. I am afraid building ships out of steel to last for ever is not the best material to use. Still those heavy plated battle ships have a better chance of a longer life in retirement yet.
I still have an ambition to her one day looks like the sooner the better.
I wish I was a sailor like my friends Jim, Sam, and you, for example. So many stories to tell, and so many more memories. I've always wanted to go visit her but I guess I won't be able to.
Perhaps she'll be gone before I even hit 18 :(

Back