The Queen Mary: Future, Past, Present

I posted this a while back but I'll say it again, maybe it is time to just tow the Queen Mary out a few miles into deep water and scuttle her. That way she could at least become a marine life habitat and possibly also a recreational diving attraction.

Am I right that three of the propellers are still left ? If so leave one at Long Beach and send the other two to Clydebank, Scotland and Southampton, England respectively.

It's sad but every story must have an end.

I am envy of JJ Astorll 9 times on the ship wow. You certainty make a very guide tour person. Perhaps if every make in time I I might meet you there?
Yes I was a tad obsessed. Most of the concierge even knew who I was. The weird miniature guy obsessed with Steamships hahah. She is a beauty though, even in her dilapidated state. Most of her wood paneling is also from a tree that is now extinct. It would be such a shame to ever see her scrapped. I know I read the city of LB plans to sue to make sure she's taken care of. I hope that's true.

When the day comes she has to go as a under sea marine sanctuary or cut up for scrap. Lets hope the same was done as for the Olympic, all the class timber work and other fine features are saved and put on public display to be see, and not lock up in someone private property.

When the day comes she has to go as a under sea marine sanctuary or cut up for scrap. Lets hope the same was done as for the Olympic, all the class timber work and other fine features are saved and put on public display to be see, and not lock up in someone private property.
I have to agree. I am unfortunately one of those Private Properties that have tried to snag as much paneling and furniture from Olympic I can afford and find over the years, but in my heart I agree that everything should be viewable to the public forever. It's why in my will (though I'm going no time soon hopefully) I've asked my family to donate all my items from Titanic, Queen Mary, Olympic and Lusitania to go to the museums when I pass.

Reading about one propeller remove melted down to make souvenirs key ring. Now I have one of them and
QM propeller.JPG
Queen Mary propelller.JPG
came with a Certificate of Authenticity. However genuine it is a another question?

Fun fact, that doesn't have to do much with this, but I know they had to sail her all the way around the southern tip of South America (because she couldn't pass through the Panama Canal) and then back up to the California coast!

I actually know nothing about mechanics, but can the ship sail on two propellers? I'd assume they'd have to either wait till it docked in LB and they stripped it and sold it or, if a ship can go on two, then they took it before she left for the US. Just thoughts?

Fun fact, that doesn't have to do much with this, but I know they had to sail her all the way around the southern tip of South America (because she couldn't pass through the Panama Canal) and then back up to the California coast!

I actually know nothing about mechanics, but can the ship sail on two propellers? I'd assume they'd have to either wait till it docked in LB and they stripped it and sold it or, if a ship can go on two, then they took it before she left for the US. Just thoughts?
A ship with four screws can indeed sail with only two working. It's speed will be reduced however.

Btw JJAstorII, you mentioned that you'd like your Queen Mary treasures to one day go to museums with ties to her.

There is a place I'd like to put in a good word for. That is Clydebank Museum and their address is Clydebank Town Hall, 5 Hall Street, G81 1UB.

Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland is where the Queen Mary was built.

They have never forgotten her and many people living in the town today are the grandchildren or great grandchildren of the men who constructed her amid the grim economic backdrop of the Great Depression which hit industrial Scotland right between the eyes in the thirties. It was a horrible time to be alive.

The town museum can't afford to bid at auctions or haggle with antique shop owners for items. They must rely solely on donations.

They are crying out for stuff to do with the town's most famous ships namely Lusitania, Aquitania, HMS Hood, and the "three Queens". I know for a fact that they have politely requested items on loan from museums around the world but have nearly always been (sometimes rather rudely) refused.

Just keep them in mind is all ;)

A ship with four screws can indeed sail with only two working. It's speed will be reduced however.

Btw JJAstorII, you mentioned that you'd like your Queen Mary treasures to one day go to museums with ties to her.

There is a place I'd like to put in a good word for. That is Clydebank Museum and their address is Clydebank Town Hall, 5 Hall Street, G81 1UB.

Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland is where the Queen Mary was built.

They have never forgotten her and many people living in the town today are the grandchildren or great grandchildren of the men who constructed her amid the grim economic backdrop of the Great Depression which hit industrial Scotland right between the eyes in the thirties. It was a horrible time to be alive.

The town museum can't afford to bid at auctions or haggle with antique shop owners for items. They must rely solely on donations.

They are crying out for stuff to do with the town's most famous ships namely Lusitania, Aquitania, HMS Hood, and the "three Queens". I know for a fact that they have politely requested items on loan from museums around the world but have nearly always been (sometimes rather rudely) refused.

Just keep them in mind is all ;)
Absolutely I will consider them and thank you so much for the reference. I always want to help a struggling museum and most importantly I just want the items to be loved and taken care of as I have while owning them.

I was at the launch of her sister ship and saw both of them in their "grey suits" between 1940 and 1945.
The SS United States crossed our bows when we were sout-bound west of Uishant in 1952. I believe that was when The US ship took the Blue Riband from her.
I did inspection work on the superstructure of her young cousin, QE 2.
I was newbuild Inspector for Underwrites at the John Brown Yard from 1974 until it closed and long after Marathon Le Tournea took over - up to 1995.
Happy memories.

I was at the launch of her sister ship and saw both of them in their "grey suits" between 1940 and 1945.
The SS United States crossed our bows when we were sout-bound west of Uishant in 1952. I believe that was when The US ship took the Blue Riband from her.
I did inspection work on the superstructure of her young cousin, QE 2.
I was newbuild Inspector for Underwrites at the John Brown Yard from 1974 until it closed and long after Marathon Le Tournea took over - up to 1995.
Happy memories.
Love hearing stories from when they were working girls! Thanks for sharing!

Back