The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Hi, Liz!

On March 29, 1912 Gabriel Weis won the Rubiayat at Sotheby's (London) auction house for $2.025. The volume has not been recovered (to date, anyway.) :)

All my best,

George

Hey, who else here has the Titanic Adventure out of Time game? The Rubaiyat (as I believe it is spelled) is a gold covered book with jewels encrusted in it.

BC:

I have the Titanic: Adventure Out of Time game, and yes, the Rubaiyat is the jewel covered book. I'm must be stupid, because I had to buy a hints book to figure out how to play. And I've done no better than to only get the Rubaiyat off of the ship. Can't figure out where the notebook is, or how to get the necklace. I could read the entire book and totally cheat, but don't want to do that!

Laurel

Do a web search for "titanic" and "adventure out of time". Several people have posted free hints that willget you off the ship with the 'goods". It becomes more fun when you go beyond the basic hints. Enjoy.

Does anybody have the primary source for the famous copy of the Rubaiyat which was said to be on board?

This is one of many Titanic tales that are presented as fact but no source is ever cited.

I do not know much about it. However, I would like to know more also. I have a computer game- Titanic Adventure Out of Time, and one of the objects of the game is to leave with that and if you do it changes history.

Mark

Greetings one and all:
I'm working on a play in which the Titanic's jeweled "Rubiáyát" serves as the fulcrum of action.
In the play, somehow the book was spirited off the stricken vessel. The how and why of all this is deliberately rather hazy, suffice to say that the volume has circulated (or not circulated) just under the legal marketplace since 1912.
Now, it has surfaced, and adventure and danger are the results.
My question, if Mr. Behe visits these parts, is if he, or anyone, knows anything about Gabriel Weis. I had the impression (don't know why) that the book was headed for the Morgan Library, which makes the book's loss even more acute. The Rubiáyát's sensual poetry concerns life, lovemaking, drinking, and the frustrating search for a divine presence in creation.
Here is the tycoon's latest acquisition, on the ship his wealth helped make and on which he'd nearly made passage himself. It is a ship built with extraordinary concern for comfort, especially of its First Class, but, what better a vessel to carry a copy of the humble tentmaker's poems, decorated with 1,295 jewels?
I don't necessarily need to let the facts get in the way of a good story, but, being an aficionado of the disaster since reading Mr. Lord's book when I was 14, I'd like to try to at least lend an air of probability to the tale.
My direct e-mail is [email protected]
Cheers.
Harry

Just a note here, concerning the book. You may already have this but thought I'd post it anyway. This paragraph is from "The Deathless Story of the Titanic" published by Lloyds Weekly News right after the catastrophe:

'The copy of Fitzgerald's translation of Omar Khayyam, with Eliku Vedder's beautiful illustrations, famous as "the most remarkable specimen of binding ever produced" went down with the "Titanic". Less than a month ago it realized 405 pounds at auction where it found an American purchaser. The binding took two years to execute, and the decoration embodied no fewer than 1,500 precious stones, each separately set in gold.'

And, if I had to guess, I would bet the American purchaser was (or a buyer for) Harry Widener, noted rare book collector.

Just a thought. Hope this is of some help.

Best regards,
Cook

Or to add an air of mystery, maybe the buyer was actually William Andrews Clark, the uncle of Walter Miller Clark. He was also a noted bibliophile. His valuable collection is still intact as part of the UCLA library system.

Just some months ago I read in the newspaper that there was found a trunk or suitcase filled with books in the debrisfield of Titanic. Could this have belonged to Mr Widener of the Clarks?

Regards,

Rolf
happy.gif

Hey,
Does anyone know where the rubiayat would have been stored? Which hold? Have any attempts been made (or have been scheduled for the future)to locate it?
Regards,
David

Seems to me the cover had a peacock with its tail all fanned out, studded with jewels where the "Eye" in the feathers were located- The Illustrated Night to Remember shows this.-Ironic- the peacock is the symbol for vanity- and the Resurrection!

Back