The swimming bath

Concerning the passenger's pool activities...

I had always thought that the pool, as it was part of the fancy bath complex on F-deck, was also part of the "Turkish Bath Experience." A person would spend some time lounging around the Turkish Baths, essentially a sauna from what I understand, hang around the cooling room a bit, then hop in the pool to get the sweat off, finally washing the salt off in the showers.

This is upheld a little by Mrs. Speddon's statement:
"I took a Turkish Bath this morning. It was my first and will be my last, I hope, for I never disliked anything in my life so before, though I enjoyed the final plunge in the pool."

Seems the novelty isn't all it's cracked up to be.

This is just my interpretation, mind you. I may be way off.

Though it would be interesting to see personalities such as Astor and Widener stumbling around the pool going "Marco!" "Polo!"

Josh.

I fancy you are right about the pool being used after a Turkish bath, unless there was a small separate shallow pool.

A Turkish bath was actually not like a sauna, which uses moist heat. A Turkish bath used dry heat and sometimes very high temperatures were reached, way above those in a sauna. The Victorians were quite crazy about them and they were supposed to cure all sorts of things.

Hmm, you'd think they would've said Olympic was first. Guess they're still bitter about it.
happy.gif

I'd tend to agree with that. Cunard always claimed, for example -- to my knowledge -- that Aquitania was the largest British ship, in terms of her total length of 901 feet 6 inches. Her tonnage (varying from a maximum of 46,150 to about 44,500 near the end of her days), however, was always less than Olympic's, which was some 46,358 gross tons and more after the 1913 refit. Both claimed the title, but I go for Olympic as her gross tonnage was larger. Though I may be biased!

Best regards,

Mark.

P.S. I think it was Aquitania that didn't have a Turkish bath. She did have a gymnasium and pool, though. Per Leonard Peskett's recommendation. He did, however, copy many of Olympic's features into his new ship -- roughly an enlarged version of the 'Lusitania' class's first two vessels in many respects.

Best regards,

Mark.

If the Gymnasium, Turkish Baths, and Pool were placed on board because of the current trend toward fitness in those days, then I wonder, why wasn't the gym located closer to the pool and baths? Even the squash court was nearer the location of the pool and baths. Why not the gym too?

Yuri

There's a lot to be said for salt water pools. One of the oldest and last existing lido's in Ireland is in the town I work in and the sea water is filtered and pumped in every day during the summer (I must find out if they have the original pump and filter system). There seems to be something much more invigorating about swimming around in a salt water pool than one dosed with chlorine, so whether by accident or design I reckon the Olympic Class pools would have been great.

The only downer with my local pool is that the water is too bloody freezing and the water pumped in from the Irish sea is the most radioactive in the world. Apart from that it's pretty good though.

Regards

Sam

While I have no references, my impression is that location of Titanic's pool was made for sound engineering reasons. It is low down, so the weight of water will have less effect on stability than if it had been on the boat deck with the gymnasium.

Also, it appears to me that the pool itself was below the waterline, but the deck into which it was installed was above the waterline. This meant that pumps may have been unnecessary to fill the pool. Opening a valve would allow sea water to flood the pool. And, a clever designer could have used the ship's own forward motion to maintain a continuous flow of water through the pool. Does anyone have details about that sort of arrangement?

Was the outside of the pool insulated? It was exposed to the heat of a boiler room, which could have been intentional. It may have been intended for natural transfer of heat from the ship's power plant to warm the pool. Just a thought for some rivet counter to explore.

The weight of water must have been a consideration in the design of the ship. Normally, such weight would be put on the centerline for balance. Titanic's pool was outboard to starboard. That causes me to look for a compensating weight offest to port. Perhaps that weight comes from the brine tank and evaporator pumps installed on the port side of the engine room. It would be curious to know what the walls at H&W heard about such matters.

The gymnasium was obviously a "perk" of the first class. Putting it on the boat deck allowed for those large windows which let in plenty of natural daylight. The result was a delightful space where the leisure class could enjoy some healthful activity in a pleasant surrounding. I suspect "going to the gym" on Titanic was more of a social affair than a workout. Pumping iron down in the belly of the ship sounds too much like shoveling coal.

--David G. Brown

I read somwhere that, origanally, White Star's plans called for the gymnasium to be on F-deck with the Swimming and Turkish Baths. In my opinion, despite the lighting comments made above, is that it would have better served its purpose on the same deck as the baths. It completes the image of a health spa at sea. I'm sure that, judging by what the designers were able to accomplish elswhere in First Class public rooms, that the gymnasium could have been pleasent on F-deck. It would have made the long excursion down to F-deck that much more enjoyable. One trip and you could have enjoyed the pool, the Turkish Baths and the gym. But who knows.

Nathan Good

A few thoughts on the swimming bath:

How was the swimming bath filled?

Dave's observation regarding the placement of the bath low down in the ship and the possibility that it was gravity filled and drained is a very attractive one. The tank could be filled and drained much faster by gravity than by pump, it could be done a no expense, and it could be done by the attendant alone without the need of an engineer to fidget with a pump and valves.

There has never been an indication of a dedicated pump for the bath, so a ballast pump in one of the adjoining boiler rooms probably had an extra valve on the manifold to service the tank as a back up.

"And, a clever designer could have used the ship's own forward motion to maintain a continuous flow of water through the pool"

This is doubtful. Ram circulation (piping that capitalizes on the ship's forward momentum to move water) is obvious to us now, but unknown in 1912. You don't see that sort of thing until American W.W.II warships, mostly to assist the circulation of main condensers in very large vessels. If it had been incorporated in the design, it would have been mentioned for the innovation.

Was the pool tank insulated? Was it heated by waste heat from the boiler rooms?

Insulated? Probably not. I have an incomplete list of insulation to be fitted and the swimming bath is not mentioned. It also seems too sophisticated for the period. Heated by waste heat? Again, not likely -- intentionally in any event.

On the Queen Mary, the pool tank consists of an inner tank contained within an outer tank. The system forms a cofferdam in the event of a leak. I seriously doubt Titanic was sophisticated enough to have a tank-in-tank arrangement so hot air from the boiler room below probably did rase the temperature of the structure and the water, but I seriously doubt this was a "design feature" or it would have been mentioned for the novelty it was in the technical press.

Did the weight of the water so far off the centerline require a counterbalance?

The nominal pool dimensions (in feet) are 33 1/2 x 15. Taking the water depth at 5 feet deep the capacity is 2512.5 cu ft seawater. Multiply by 64 #/cu ft for the weight of sea water and divide the results by 2240 and the weight of the water in the tank is just under 72 long tons

72 tons is much less than 1% of the ship's displacement and despite the mechanical advantage the weight has being so far from the centerline, I do not think that a dedicated counterweight was needed, nor do I think the weight contributed to a noticeable heel. If it did, the heel could be relieved by ordinary counterflooding of double bottom tanks.

Was the pool heated at all?

I am well aware of Gracie's comments about the warm pool temperature, but I am also struck that there is NO MENTION WHATEVER of mechanical arrangements to heat the pool. I don't just mean Shipbuilder, but complete lists of pumps and water heaters and hot water reservoirs exist for Olympic and there's nothing mentioned at all.

It is unlikely that the ship's domestic water heaters were used (coincidentally, they are just around the corner from the pool) The huge capacity of the pool would utterly defeat these comparatively small heaters, and using the pool as some kind of reservoir for warming water for distribution elsewhere in the ship is, well, unappetizing. Would you like to take a bath in second hand salt water?

The Queen Mary heated her pools with waste water from steam condensers, but in the case of Titanic, those condensers are at the other end of the ship and there are no unaccounted for pipes that would be eligible candidates.

In addition, the bath was meant to be a final plunge for the Turkish Bath, which, like today's sauna, requires a plunge into cold water, not warm.

I have often wondered of Gracie wasn't offering up a facile, but insincere compliment to the ship's pool. He could hardly have written "I froze my ass off."

How often was the pool filled?

On the Queen Mary, the pool was drained and filled several times a day: after the early morning people used the pool, after the gents, after the ladies, and especially after third class was invited in late in the afternoon in the 1960s <g>.

Since salt water was free and possibly it cost nothing to fill and drain the pool, I vote for several times a day.

Why isn't the Gymnasium adjacent to the Turkish Baths and Pool?

In the original plan, it was directly across on the port side, but late in the design, it was decided to build a deckhouse outboard of the No 2 funnel and fit the gymnasium there. The reasoning probably went like this:

First, it gave White Star bragging rights to talk about "exercise in the fresh sea air," ... which you couldn't very well do down below.

Second, it allowed WS to show off all that expensive gym equipment in a beautiful room. I guarantee you, placing the gym on the boat deck showed the equipment off a dozen times over than had it remained tucked away in a remote corner of the ship.

Third and most important: To promote revenue. The use of the gym was free, the use of the Turkish bath and Pool were not. By placing the free amenity in the most conspicuous place possible, the company could aggressively promote the revenue earning Turkish Bath and Pool with a little salesmanship on the part of the Gym Attendant. Clever, clever Bruce.

Bill Sauder

Bill -- thanks for the info. I don't know that much about my own bathtub!

My automatic circulation concept would be a simple venturi bailer using a clamshell over the discharge pipe. If the opening faces aft, a low pressure is created and water will be "sucked" out of the pipe. Now, if the pool had an inlet at atmospheric pressure...self-circulation would result.

On at least one photo of I believe Olympic's pool it shows a low water level, but not empty. And, the water is absolutely still which indicates the ship is moored without the engines running to create vibration ripples. If the pool level was equal to the ship's draft, perhaps we are seeing the light draft prior to coaling and victualing?

-- David G. Brown

Yuri,

As for the tiles, Olympic's must have been redone in the pool. If you count the pre-1913 and post-1913 tiles, you can see the number of rows differs. This must have only happened because the pool was retiled.

About various things in the pool, at the forward end were some valves and pipes, what were they for?

14348.jpg

Also, near the port holes, there was another valve for something, even had handles next to it to operate it. What might this have been for?

14349.jpg

Daniel.

Back