Third class passengers during the sinking

There was an interpreter who helped the passengers. Not sure how many languages he would have spoken. Several survivors saw the interpreter helping the 3rd class passengers.

Charles Joughin

Q - Did you hear any such instructions given?
A - Yes.
Q - By whom?
A - I saw the interpreter passing the people along that way, but there was a difficulty in getting them along because some of the foreign third-class passengers were bringing their baggage and their children along.
Q - Who was the interpreter?
A - I do not know his name.
Q - Where was he standing?
A - He was standing just abaft this emergency door leading into the third-class.
Q - He was pointing or directing those who came to the door?
A - Passing them along.
Q - You did not hear any directions being given to these people to go to this door, when further instructions would be given to them?
A - I only saw and heard the interpreter doing his business.

John Hart

Q - There is a third class interpreter, is there not?
A - Yes.
Q - What was he doing?
A - He was trying to keep some of the foreigners quiet.

"I believe that somebody went forward after the collision to try to see what damage was done after the collision had happened, and there, met the passengers coming along. He came along with them. I believe that was the interpreter Mellor."

Q - He was bringing them along E deck?
A - The main alleyway, E deck.

Q - When you went down below, did you find any difficulty in getting the women to leave their baggage behind?
A - Some were inclined to take their baggage, but they, of course, would not be Europeans. I take it they were foreigners.
Q - You found a difficulty in getting them to leave their baggage behind; they wanted to take it up with them?
A - I did not find any difficulty at all, because I had no foreigners.
Q - But the foreigners did not want to part with their baggage?
A - I have heard so.
Q - You say at the time this passage seemed to be obstructed by third-class passengers bringing their luggage?
A - Yes.
Q - Would that lead to any confusion?
A - It would.
Q - Did it, as a matter of fact?
A - There did not seem to be much confusion, only it hampered the steward; it hampered the interpreter and the men who were helping him, because they could not prevail on the people to leave their luggage.
Q - You spoke of seeing an interpreter in the third-class part of the ship trying to get the third-class people to come along and go up to the deck?
A - Yes.
Q - Did I catch you rightly to say the interpreter was doing it and men were helping him?
A - I could see two or three stewards.
Q - You could?
A - Yes.
Q - Third-class stewards?
A - I suppose they were, I am not quite sure.
Q - Trying to persuade the people?
A - Yes.

Samuel Rule

Q - Did you see any stewards going forward or aft to the third class?
A - As I passed out on E deck, Muller, the interpreter, was getting all his people from forward aft, and they were taking their luggage with them on E deck.
Q - He was getting them from forward to aft?
A - Yes, the afterend of the ship.
Q - Were there any women among them?
A - No, all men.
Q - They were passing the men along E deck?
A - All the foreigners.
Q - And they were bringing the baggage along?
A - Yes, the trunks and valises and all that, with them.
Q - Was there any chaos in the alleyway?
A - None whatever; you would think they were landing on the tender taking their baggage to New York.

Note - The watertight doors on E-deck were not closed for some time because the crew were directing the passengers up Scotland road and towards the aft section, including the interpreter.

Q - No one went to close those doors that night?
A - No, because when I left the deck the interpreter was forcing people along the watertight doors in the alleyway.

I've checked the plans so many times. I just realized the way up to the 3rd class promenades was quite easy. So why didn't people in third class go to their promenades up through the main staircases and then tried getting to the 2nd class promendade. From there it would've been really easy for women and children to get in a boat. I'm quite an ignorant so if people could tell me about any obstacles (crew members, botswick gates...) I'd like it a lot!

PD: I'm not an english native, may have some mistakes when writing:)

Mainly I would say it was down to unfamiliarity with the ship. Passengers from the different classes were strictly forbidden from entering other areas of the ship however it was much easier for the first and second class passengers to access the boat deck as their areas were a lot closer to it.

Also, a greater number of third class passengers didn't speak English so may have had a hard time understanding what was going on.

Mainly I would say it was down to unfamiliarity with the ship. Passengers from the different classes were strictly forbidden from entering other areas of the ship however it was much easier for the first and second class passengers to access the boat deck as their areas were a lot closer to it.

Also, a greater number of third class passengers didn't speak English so may have had a hard time understanding what was going on.
Okey. But from what I know, there were only small doors separating different classes in certain points such as the ones in the draw.

39274-5204b785907dccfb6eb3a00efe629cae.png

So if there wasn't any crew member around people could have gone through the litle door and pretend they were 2nd class passengers

Sense títol.png

The waist high gates were closed and crew members seemed to had been there as mentioned by Daniel Buckley. Even passing from there most were unfamiliar how to continue. Some got help by crew members, others used the staircase and others climbed over the cranes or used the crew ladders.

Back