Hi Y'all, recently I came across this image, of a Galley on Olympic or Titanic
(published by the Daily Sketch)
1623472531179.png

Lets compare a photograph of the Chefs taken outside the Portside Verandah on A-Deck
Chefs together outside the portside Verandah.JPG

This fellow
1623472587159.png

1623472614923.png

In TTSM Vol 2, the Author also believes it is Titanic's Galley. I wouldn't even be surprised if this is a Father Francis Browne photograph, as he sold several to the Daily Sketch.

it is him, in my opinion, but I'm happy to hear y'alls opinion :)

In TTSM Vol 2, the Author also believes it is Titanic's Galley. I wouldn't even be surprised if this is a Father Francis Browne photograph, as he sold several to the Daily Sketch.

It's most likely Titanic (at last from my part I think it is)
I am not sure if it is really from "the daily sketch" as I can not remember having seen it there. It was printed also in two other period newspapers I know.
It's not a Browne photo but a photograph taken by the press.

He has been identified as Alexis Bochatay.

@Ioannis Georgiou Is there anyone else that can be identified in that photo? Be good to make sure it's linked to their biogs.

Walpole is sitting in the middle and standing far right must be Maytum.
So far I have only 3 (Walpole, Maytum & Bochatay) names would need to look into my files if I have somewhere any update.

Stupid question (from me) @Cam Houseman but where is it that ET stamped picture on ET!?

It's in the bio of Walpole.

There is a 2nd version of that photograph with some of the people in standing/sitting different.

I remember having discussed that photograph with Daniel Klistorner a few years ago. Out of memory we think this photograph might have been taken on Olympic in 1911.

Thank you, in the standing photo Walpole is carrying knives and (presumably) Maytum has a steel for sharpening knives. I wonder if Walpole’s pantryman duties relate to the butchers section any more than any other.

Here are some images from the Book, The Last Dinner on the Titanic
3 Galley Photos, one artists rendering of the Galley, and one deck steward- Victualising Steward

Attachments

• Galley 4.jpg
    Galley 4.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 240
  • Galley 3.jpg
    Galley 3.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 233
  • deck steward.jpg
    deck steward.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 205
  • Galley 2.jpg
    Galley 2.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Galley 1.jpg
    Galley 1.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 484
Walpole is sitting in the middle and standing far right must be Maytum.
So far I have only 3 (Walpole, Maytum & Bochatay) names would need to look into my files if I have somewhere any update.

It's in the bio of Walpole.

There is a 2nd version of that photograph with some of the people in standing/sitting different.

I remember having discussed that photograph with Daniel Klistorner a few years ago. Out of memory we think this photograph might have been taken on Olympic in 1911.
oh thanks Ioannis!

@Ioannis Georgiou Is there anyone else that can be identified in that photo? Be good to make sure it's linked to their biogs.

Stupid question (from me) @Cam Houseman but where is it that ET stamped picture on ET!?
Hello Mr Hind,

I think I can identify some of the other crewmen in this picture.

1644066754414.png

1 – If this ship is Titanic, this man could be Alfred Windebank (38 years old).

1644066803105.png

2 – This man is most likely chief pantry steward Wilfred Seward (25 years, 5' 10" high).

1644066830723.png

3 – Unknown, is standing in the background of the inside kitchen picture

4 – Unknown. Even if there are similarities, this man is obviously not Alfred Maytum (53 years old, 5' 3½'' high). He looks to young, is too big and has more hair than Alfred Maytum.

1644067001554.png

5 – unknown

6 – This man is most likely Alexis Bochatay (30 years old).

1644067066088.png

7 – James Walpole

8 – Charles Proctor

9 – Unknown

10 – Unknown

11 – I found a young crewman in one of the pictures taken in Plymouth. He bears a certain resemblance to the man in kitchen crew photo. I speculated in another thread that this man could be kitchen porter Reginald Hardwick (21 years old).

1644067140841.png

Hello Mr Hind,

I think I can identify some of the other crewmen in this picture.

View attachment 78802

1 – If this ship is Titanic, this man could be Alfred Windebank (38 years old).

View attachment 78803

2 – This man is most likely chief pantry steward Wilfred Seward (25 years, 5' 10" high).

View attachment 78804

3 – Unknown, is standing in the background of the inside kitchen picture

4 – Unknown. Even if there are similarities, this man is obviously not Alfred Maytum (53 years old, 5' 3½'' high). He looks to young, is too big and has more hair than Alfred Maytum.

View attachment 78805

5 – unknown

6 – This man is most likely Alexis Bochatay (30 years old).

View attachment 78806

7 – James Walpole

8 – Charles Proctor

9 – Unknown

10 – Unknown

11 – I found a young crewman in one of the pictures taken in Plymouth. He bears a certain resemblance to the man in kitchen crew photo. I speculated in another thread that this man could be kitchen porter Reginald Hardwick (21 years old).

View attachment 78807
There are undoubtedly at least three of the Titanic's galley crew in that picture.

However, as Ioannis Georgiou mentions above in post #4 both he and Daniel Klistorner believe that group photograph was taken in 1911 aboard the Olympic, most of those men never set foot aboard the Titanic.

It's nice to think we may have a photo of some of the galley men before disaster struck but given Georgiou and Klistorner's considerable experience evaluating the photographic history of the Olympic class ships, I'd take their word for it.

There are undoubtedly at least three of the Titanic's galley crew in that picture.

However, as Ioannis Georgiou mentions above in post #4 both he and Daniel Klistorner believe that group photograph was taken in 1911 aboard the Olympic, most of those men never set foot aboard the Titanic.

It's nice to think we may have a photo of some of the galley men before disaster struck but given Georgiou and Klistorner's considerable experience evaluating the photographic history of the Olympic class ships, I'd take their word for it.
I know, it is speculation but Seward for example was on the Olympic too. So, even if this picture was not taken on Titanic, we got another picture of a surviving crewmember. If this ship really is Olympic, then Windebank and Hardwick can't be in the picture :)

Hi Y'all, recently I came across this image, of a Galley on Olympic or Titanic
(published by the Daily Sketch)
View attachment 76957

Lets compare a photograph of the Chefs taken outside the Portside Verandah on A-Deck
View attachment 76958
This fellow
View attachment 76959

View attachment 76960

Always this problem of what ship photo's were taken on ? . Though gives people a challenge to try to work out , if you look on U tube at " Olympic: life of the first Olympian {part 2) "it shows parts of the galley ,stewards and crew serving up dinner.

Always this problem of what ship photo's were taken on ? . Though gives people a challenge to try to work out , if you look on U tube at " Olympic: life of the first Olympian {part 2) "it shows parts of the galley ,stewards and crew serving up dinner.
Good point, a lot of Olympic/Titanic pictures are mixed up often.

Speaking of the Galley, I believe there were more rare photos, such as B-57 and B-59, were in the Illustrated London Daily News, although I can't remember. You can find the 1912 issue of it here:

I think that video you mentioned was a Promotional film around 1922 or so? I think Mark would know, he's the local Olympic expert, lol.

Back