Thomas Albert Street

Thanks guys. Sorry I'm not even sure what a CR10 is. All we have is a discharge book. The original query was whether or not William and Albert could have been the same person. He had always told his daughter and wife that he had been on the Titanic, and they had no reason to doubt him. The problems arose when we discovered that the only "Street" on board was named as "A Street".

Hi all,

I'm a great grandson of Thomas Albert Street. He died long before I was born, but I know that though he never spoke of even being on the Titanic to the rest of the family, the subject was brought up with him when a relief fund parcel arrived at his house sometime in the 1960's.

All that said.... I think he might be a relative of William & Henry, looking at the family tree we're putting together!

I'm keen to find out which boat he was on. I've seen many records of him being rescued on boat 9, but on the list of boat 9 survivors he is not present. It also conflicts with his account of what happened, which is that he jumped into the water and woke up in a boat; the info on boat 9 says it did not pick up anyone from the water.

Cheers

Rich

Rich, lifeboat occupancy lists always include the definites but not always the probables. Your Grandfather is generally cited as being 'probably' in boat 9. His mate George Kemish (who is generally standing next to him in survivor photos) certainly was in boat 9 and he too claimed to have swum for it after jumping from the ship. But as you say there is no evidence that anybody in boat 9 was pulled in from the water. It's more likely that both were among the small group of firemen who were in the boat when it was lowered. Many of the male survivors, seeing the animosity directed at them by newly-widowed women on the Carpathia, realised that it would be more acceptable to present themselves as having been rescued from the water, even if their presence in a lifeboat was perfectly justified.

Street was one of the few surviving crew members who managed to get a small lump sum of money from the Titanic Relief Fund, which had been set up rather for the benefit of the dependents of victims. It's highly unlikely he ever received anything more, and certainly not in the 1960s. The Fund had been wound up in 1959, after setting up annuities for the few remaining dependents.

Thanks Bob. Certainly sounds like the sort of conclusion I was coming to. I can imagine there was a real sense of guilt among the crew who'd survived. Whether he was part of a group who just got on a boat unknown, or whether he was ushered onto one by officials and was then the subject of scrutiny from the newly-widowed women on Carpathia I'll probably never know.
The account I have is that sometime in the early 60's (though could just as easily be late 50's) a parcel arrived for him. One of my distant aunts was there at the time and (knowing full-well what it was....he worked on a few ships including Olympic just before Titanic) asked "what's that then?" He replied it was a parcel from the Titanic fund, to which she said something along the lines of "oh, you were on Titanic?!" Again, she (and the rest of the family) knew full-well he was, but he never ever spoke of it, until that one day. He never spoke of it again as I understand it, but he recalled jumping into the water and passing out from the cold. He then said he woke in a boat.
He actually died of Bronchitis. He used to get it every Winter, and the rest of the family at the time put it down to likely being something to do with that night.

In an interesting twist I only learned over the weekend, I have a second relative from the Titanic, but on my father's side of the family. He was also a fireman, and from what I've found since the weekend it looks like there's a good chance he was also in boat 9. The two families wouldn't be joined until the late 1970's, and there were two of them possibly sitting side by side!
The other chap's name was George Terrill Thresher. I can't find as much on him, and I believe he died at sea in the 30's.

Cheers

Rich

Funds were still being disbursed in the 1960s:

Chicago Tribune, May 27, 1961, p. 9:

Survivor of Titanic Gets $280 Damages

Burgess Hill, England, May 26 (AP)--Mrs. Roberta Bolling, 68, who survived the sinking fo the Titanic nearly 50 years ago, finally got a $280 check today in compensation for losses and sufferings she endured that night. The check was from trustees administering the compensation fund.

Clearly, Mr. Street may have received something in the '60s . . .

Hello my name is Sue Harding. My mothers maiden name was Phyllis Jean Street and Albert Street was her uncle. Both my parents were born in Southampton and still have relations living there. My maiden name was White. The picture on the right is definately Albert Street. Are you on facebook. My e.mail is [email protected]
It would be good to talk.I would love to see more photos and more info. Regards Sue

Hello my name is Sue Harding. Thomas Albert Street was my mothers uncle. Her name is Phyllis Jean Street and she remembers abit about Thomas Albert. We only have one photo of him and we know definately he was in lifeboat No.9. I just wondered wether you had any photos. Are you on facebook. My e.mail is [email protected]. Would love to hear from you Regards Sue

I am a past life regression therapist in india. One of my clients gave details of being thomas albert , married to mary, born in Hampshire, travelling in a huge ship, etc. After googling details we Reachd here. Would like to know more so that facts can be corroborated. Thank you

Back