Titanic 1997

natsu30

I saw this movie in theaters. I was about 14. When you are 14 you don’t grasp the gravity of the situation. Now that I’m an adult and I’m rewatching it on Netflix I not only appreciate and understand the fictional storyline but also thinking about the more than 1500 people that died because the people in charge didn’t want to clutter up the deck… it was just such a terrible tragedy. It just hits way different now than it did when I first saw the movie.

Yes it’s a great movie! There are some inaccuracies scattered in there though. It wasn’t about the deck looking cluttered, rather it was about meeting regulations. And in fact, Titanic carried four extra boats according to law in 1912.

The concept of lifeboats was different than our modern understanding. It was thought that in any emergency where a ship would sink, another ship would come to aid and the lifeboats would be used to ferry passengers to the rescue ship. They weren’t meant to carry the entire passenger population at sea. They were meant to go back and forth between sinking and rescue ship.

The disaster, of course, changed their approach to lifeboats, 24 hour radio watch, etc.

Alexandrea Owens-Sarno (who played young Cora Cartmell) reported that she has been told that there are a lot of real life Coras today because their moms and mums fell in love with her character when they were teens in 1997.

Alex's old modellling she posted to her IG:

11017657_807264339349242_2086082602_n (5).jpg

Despite the massive slamming this film now gets, one thing is true-there will never be another Titanic movie that recreates the ship and the sinking the way this one did. After 25 years we can point out the flaws, but that doesn't change the fact that Cameron and his team went way above what was done before. This is the main reason I personally enjoy ,and went to see initially, this film.

Despite the massive slamming this film now gets, one thing is true-there will never be another Titanic movie that recreates the ship and the sinking the way this one did. After 25 years we can point out the flaws, but that doesn't change the fact that Cameron and his team went way above what was done before. This is the main reason I personally enjoy ,and went to see initially, this film.

100%. People can hate on the fictional love story and the occasional cheesy 90s line. But that shouldn’t overpower the amount of work that went in. No other film was that faithful to the set or sinking.

I'll be honest I don't have problem with the love story, it's Ismay and Murdoch portrayal with the third class stuff I dislike. A lot of movies did this "Ismay going in a lifeboat is bad" when the Mersey report from 1912 already show the contrary and Ismay onversation with Smith was nothing compare to what Elizabeth Lines overheard, the conversation was more about titanic performance and him beating the olympic, but Cameron made it about headlines for some reason. On Murdoch, it's him taking Cal bribe at first then rejecting it, that bother me.

I'll be honest I don't have problem with the love story, it's Ismay and Murdoch portrayal with the third class stuff I dislike. A lot of movies did this "Ismay going in a lifeboat is bad" when the Mersey report from 1912 already show the contrary and Ismay onversation with Smith was nothing compare to what Elizabeth Lines overheard, the conversation was more about titanic performance and him beating the olympic, but Cameron made it about headlines for some reason. On Murdoch, it's him taking Cal bribe at first then rejecting it, that bother me.

Exactly my feelings. It vilifies and victimizes certain people (and whole groups of people). He approached these events in the headspace as a director, not as a historian (he even admitted this). I’m a movie, you need your hero, your villain, your greedy person, your coward, etc.

I’ll always defend Cameron for his dedication to accuracy on everything else, but the way he portrayed real life people is a little iffy sometimes.

He had the heroes with Rose and Jack and the villain with Cal and Lovejoy, didn't needed to vilify Ismay and in ghost of the abyss, I remarked while he changed Murdoch portrayal, he didn't for Ismay.
You are right, Cameron's view of Ismay was/is too simplistic, and he was just looking for a convenient villain.

The rather tiresome self-appointed moralists who insist upon Ismay being "a coward" should consider if they would have acted differently had they been in his shoes (or rather slippers !) that night. Nine times out of ten, I'd quite confidently say they would not.

I know for a fact I'd have jumped at the chance to get into a lifeboat and would have felt no shame about surviving.

On Murdoch, it's him taking Cal bribe at first then rejecting it, that bother me.
That's a hugely disappointing scene and I've always wondered why a greater fuss was made over his depicted suicide which at least had an argument of honour and duty begind it.

The bribe scene really was a cheap, clumsy and despicable sullying of Murdoch's memory to show the meaningless worth of money that night.

You are right, Cameron's view of Ismay was/is too simplistic, and he was just looking for a convenient villain.

The rather tiresome self-appointed moralists who insist upon Ismay being "a coward" should consider if they would have acted differently had they been in his shoes (or rather slippers !) that night. Nine times out of ten, I'd quite confidently say they would not.

I know for a fact I'd have jumped at the chance to get into a lifeboat and would have felt no shame about surviving.
The Mersey report already showed it's not a bad action (and Ismay was far from a villain with titanic).

the film's eight year old Cora Cartmell didn't exist on the real ship, but she is a composite character representing all the little girls and boys who died that night.

Back