Hello. I am almost through reading Titanic- An Illustrated History. It is very informative and interesting, with excellent paintings by Ken Marschall and photos from inside the Titanic and of her passengers.

However, I would like to ask the opinion of those who have read it. Would you say the individual stories of passengers that Don Lynch writes in this book are accurate?

Thank you

ADRIANNE

Don Lynch has been studying the Titanic for decades. His research is always extremely thorough. He has access to all of the Titanic Historical Society files and has interviewed many passengers at length over the years. All of us may make mistakes sometimes or learn new facts, but Don Lynch has probably forgotten more than most of us will ever know about the Titanic's passengers and crew. And he has an almost photographic memory when it comes to details on various passengers, so he probably hasn't forgotten very much.

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I got it for christmas!!

It was absolutely amazing! Don Lynch's words were so powerful, and Ken's paintings were mindblowing! I learned about passengers, Alice Cleaver's actions to Save (or "save"?) Trevor Allison. I enjoyed reading the tensions aboard the Carpathia. It was neat seeing some of Ken's rarest wreck paintings, such as the empty Grand Staircase, etc. I'm going to reread this book so many times!

Also the book was heavier and thicker than I thought, but I do love reading thick books
1608992361473.jpg

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I got it for christmas!!

It was absolutely amazing! Don Lynch's words were so powerful, and Ken's paintings were mindblowing! I learned about passengers, Alice Cleaver's actions to Save (or "save"?) Trevor Allison. I enjoyed reading the tensions aboard the Carpathia. It was neat seeing some of Ken's rarest wreck paintings, such as the empty Grand Staircase, etc. I'm going to reread this book so many times!

Also the book was heavier and thicker than I thought, but I do love reading thick books
View attachment 74905
That's a good book. It's on one of my coffee tables right now. Often thumb thru it. I worked with his cousin and he took it to one of the family gatherings to get signed for me. His other book with Ken is good also. I never met him but his cousin and others have told me he his a really nice guy. Happy Holidays and enjoy that book. One of my favorites also.

I thought that it was a good book when it first came out but over time my reaction to it has become increasingly lukewarm. I felt that the writing style was too "novelized" and the book is short on informative detail; it also has a few significant errors - like misidentifying Alice Cleaver or mentioning that Collapsible Lifeboats A & B were lashed upside down on the roof of the officer's quarters. Since it is a book about the maiden voyage and the disaster itself, it comes across as a very poor relation to the superb On a Sea Of Glass.

But the illustrations are good and some of them, like the one on p119, very informative.

Last edited:
On p30 of this book, Don Lynch claims that "Alice Cleaver's lack of experience was obvious. Mrs Allison often had to repeat instructions and assist in caring for the two children"

My question is, how did Lynch know that? He does not quote any source and in any case, none of the 3 adult survivors from the Allison entourage are mentioned in the Acknowledgements section of the book. No one is clear about Sarah Daniels' whereabouts soon after the disaster and there is no known interview with her; so she could not have told Lynch even if she had been alive at the time of his research. Mildred Brown lived till 1976, but here on ET it is quite clear that after her return to England Mildred lived out a quiet life and as far as is known, never mentioned the Titanic. The bio confirms that no interviews with Mildred have ever come to light and so Lynch could not have got the information from her. Moreover, Mildred Brown was berthed on a shared F-deck cabin F33, 3 decks below where the Allison family, Sarah Daniels and Alice Cleaver were accommodated. Obviously, Alice Cleaver herself would not have told Lynch that; as a matter of fact, despite her young age, Alice Catherine Cleaver had worked as a nursemaid for rich, fashionable families since her teens and so had plenty of experience. Also, she was the designated nurse for baby Trevor Allison only and had no responsibility towards Loraine Allison.

... I expect they would probably tweak the bit about Alice Cleaver if they had the chance :) I say that having been on the end of an ear-bashing from Alice's family myself. C'est la vie!

It had come up for preorder on Amazon late last year, and a few weeks ago my order was cancelled and the listing disappeared. It was due to be released this fall, and I can’t find it up for preorder anywhere now. Has the whole thing been axed?

3D0C63EA-D401-40E1-956B-D18BE5F5C371.jpeg

Its been 30 years since the original edition and I am leaving my copy in India. Therefore, this Second Edition would be a good addition to my collection in the UK.

I like this new cover art better as it is depicted from a slightly higher angle showing more of the boat deck.

Back