Titanic Book and Submersible Gift Set

Erik Wood

A very chilly afternoon to all,

Whilst at Barnes and Noble today I spyed (and begged to let my wife to let me buy) a little box in which said A Titanic Book and Submerisable. Now apparently this little model sinks and breaks apart just like the Titanic did. It comes with a book that from what I could tell on the box was kind of a steam engineering for idoits type of thing. I would know a lot more about it if my wife would let me play with it but I can't open it until Christmas. I was hoping that somebody around here would be able to tell me what the heck this thing is.

From what I can tell though it gives a simi good impression of how the ship sank. If this is correct it should show the non ship drivers how and ship sinks and why.

Erik

Hmmmmmm...interesting. If this thing shows up under the tree, I hope you'll tell us your impressions of it. (As it clearly isn't an engineers model, I don't know how useful it will be, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

It comes with a book that from what I could tell on the box was kind of a steam engineering for idoits type of thing.

Erik: Um, Steve Santini could probably tell you more about that. (I believe he co-authored it.)

From what I can tell though it gives a simi good impression of how the ship sank. If this is correct it should show the non ship drivers how and ship sinks and why.

I think a lot of us "non ship drivers" already have a pretty good idea how that part works. ;^)
Though I must admit, that "Toy Titanic" -- no slight intended -- is quite appealing to me, too.

Cheers,
John

Hello,

I know about the thing. My neighbor has it, in fact. I've never really saw it in "action", but he has demonstrated how the plastic Titanic breaks apart. I hope we're talking about the same thing; it came with a small book, as well. It's actually a nifty lil' item!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Hi Erik,

I own the Titanic book and submersible which are both very good. I've put it in my bathtub, and in my opinion it accurately shows how the Titanic sank that night.

The book has good information in it, along with many pictures. Let us know what you think of it.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Hi,
this little goodie is actually quite spiffy. It contains a 16 inch long plastic, scale model of Titanic. the model has a slide open slit in the starboard bow. place it in water, slide open the ‘gash’, the model sinks by the bow, breaks in two, and falls to the bottom of your pool or bathtub. incredibly tacky or really cool, depending on your point of view! ;-).

there is a picture of the box cover and book cover on my website:

http://titanicbooksite.com/author%20pages/hughessusan.html

Happy Holidays all!
Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Well I just put the model in the old bath tub and "pulled the plug" and watched her sink. In regards to any "non ship driver" not knowing how ships sink. It is a pretty good statement that ships sink because water comes in, but as to those not in engineering or in the profession knowing how and why ships sink I will put it in the same category as those who think that bulkheads are watertight and ships are unsinkable.

While I have only glanced through the book from what I can see it gives a very good description of how expansion steam works. I was rather suprised at how the model worked and eventually broke in two. Santa was good to me this year. All I wanted was a working right leg but I didn't get that. Perhaps next year.

Erik

Well, since we seem to have drifted onto the topic of Santa being good to us, I have some news to report in that regard. First, the old gent paid close attention to the Notice To Airman (NOTAMS) and stayed away from nuclear power plants, so the Air Force didn't blow him out of the sky. (The Air Force is pretty twitchy these days.)

Secondly, since Santa didn't become a magnet for a missile, the following books turned up under the tree this morning.
1)Titanic Survivor by Miss Violet Jessop
2)The Titanic Disaster as Reported in the British National Press, compiled by Dave Bryseson.
3)Titanic, Women and Children First by Judith B. Geller
4)Selling the Sea. An Inside Look at the Cruise Industry by Bob Dickenson and Andy Vladimir
5)Cruise Ships, An Evolution In Design by Philip Dawson

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike,

I have the later two books and they are good. The others I am not sure that I have heard of. Santa was so good to me that he even gave me a police scanner and a bran spanking new computer which has yet to come out of the box.

Erik

A scanner huh? Well, you just trot on over to the local Radio Shack or any other place were they sell such and get a frequency guide. POLICE CALL is pretty good, it's updated annually, and it has such as rail, air, and maritime freqencies included in the data.

(Now if only Santa could have given you a right leg where everything is intact!)
wink.gif

In the back flap of the "CRUISE SHIPS" evolution book, it advertised a title on steam which I think I'll go ahead and order. It's called "STEAM AT SEA" by Dennis Griffiths. Any feedback on that?

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Amazon has a listing for Steam At Sea. Doesn't say much about it but here is what they had:

Steam at Sea details two centuries of marine engineering and the developments made to improve machinery which powered steam ships used for both naval and commercial duty.

Thanks Tracy. I went ahead and ordered it. The publication date is listed as November of 2001, so it should have the latest and greatest information. (I put a premium on that.)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Many Blessings to ya'll. Considering I have had this horrible cold for Christmas and a neighbor committed suicide, (was very heartbreaking on Christmas Eve night)
God truely blessed me and brought my 23 year old son home to visit. That was the best present I could ever receive.

As for my books, I got..

The Story of the TITANIC, As Told By Its Survivors
written by Beelsey, Gracie, Lightoller and Bride,

And, the most hard to find and sought after
Titanic - Psychic Forewarnings of a Tragedy,
written by our esteemed commrade, George Behe

I also have a 1/400 scale, lighted Titanic coming.
Where I am going to showcase her as she is quite large, I have no idea on Gods green earth as I have limited space as it is. It may become my fireplace mantel decor. Maybe I can backdrop her with a mirror. hhmmmmmmm...

Hope all is well for my Titanic commrads.

Beverly

Back