Titanic Departure Photograph

Hello everyone, hope you are all well,

A bit of a random post but today, I've came across a rather odd photograph that's apparently been sold on Ebay:

It shows the Titanic being ushered out of the White Star Line Dock by Tugboats on April 10th but compared to other known photographs taken around Berth 44, This one appears to have been taken from the deck of a vessel in the River Test:

s-l1600.jpg

I have personally never seen this photograph or one taken from this angle before and wondered if anyone else has seen this previously? It looks accurate...

A bit of a random post but today, I've came across a rather odd photograph that's apparently been sold on Ebay:

It shows the Titanic being ushered out of the White Star Line Dock by Tugboats on April 10th but compared to other known photographs taken around Berth 44, This one appears to have been taken from the deck of a vessel in the River Test:

View attachment 49981

I have personally never seen this photograph or one taken from this angle before and wondered if anyone else has seen this previously? It looks accurate...
I have never seen that pic before that I recall. Good Find! Thanks.

Do you have a link for it?
It seems there were two of them. It was recently shared in a Titanic group on Facebook but stated that this is a snap shot of that photograph taken in 2011 during the BTS Convention.

I'm unable to currently post the link, but as of writing, it can be found by typing "Titanic Rare Photo" on ebay. The seller was also selling Titanic related replicas and magnets(?)

Also I wonder if this photograph was also taken by the same person / boat that took these one's (below) of the New York collision?

("From the Southampton Times and Hamphire Express of April 13th, 1912; a report on the Titanic's near miss with the New York.")

Last edited:
I'm unable to currently post the link, but as of writing, it can be found by typing "Titanic Rare Photo" on ebay. The seller was also selling Titanic related replicas and magnets(?)

Thanks I found it. Seems he is selling now copies of what was shared by others.

Also I wonder if this photograph was also taken by the same person / boat that took these one's (below) of the New York collision?

("From the Southampton Times and Hamphire Express of April 13th, 1912; a report on the Titanic's near miss with the New York.")

From what I know is that the one you posted in #1 is a private snap shot which is one of two photographs in a album.
I don't think the photographer is known. The position of the unknown photographer was not the same position as Mr. Beavis.

Just to ask, is it possible this photo was taken from the Hythe Ferry? This ferry departed Southampton Town Quarry for Hythe pier at 12:15pm and it did sight the Titanic / New York near miss, although the angle might be too high to have been taken from the deck of the small ferry.

Just to ask, is it possible this photo was taken from the Hythe Ferry? This ferry departed Southampton Town Quarry for Hythe pier at 12:15pm and it did sight the Titanic / New York near miss,

Good point!
But I do not think it was taken from that ferry. This photograph was taken after the New York incident so it's well after 12:15 p.m.
I might be wrong but I think this was taken from the other side.

Sorry, just to clarify, are you referring to the one from ebay / the 2011 BTS convention or the ones from the Southampton & Hampshire Newspaper?

If it's the former, I was under the impression the photograph was taken before the near miss since Titanic is roughly still in line with the White Star Dock and hasn't passed the Beacon Grange yet?

Sorry, just to clarify, are you referring to the one from ebay / the 2011 BTS convention or the ones from the Southampton & Hampshire Newspaper?

Nothing to sorry, I see I was not clear enough and have mixed up my postings! o_O

If it's the former, I was under the impression the photograph was taken before the near miss since Titanic is roughly still in line with the White Star Dock and hasn't passed the Beacon Grange yet?

Yes after leaving White Star Dock. You can see the Beacon Grange on the left side of Titanic.
However I do think that the photograph might have been taken from the other side (about high of berth 47/48)

Thanks I found it. Seems he is selling now copies of what was shared by others.

From what I know is that the one you posted in #1 is a private snap shot which is one of two photographs in a album.
I don't think the photographer is known. The position of the unknown photographer was not the same position as Mr. Beavis.
Do we know what the second photo looks like or has it not been published?

Looks strange.
In the oval picture, there is a modern looking channel marker buoy like this:
1606771127602.jpg

1606770444511.jpg

1606770725483.jpg

In the second of the 2 newspaper pictures there is a small launch
with a white painted cabin roof - not a channel buoy.
In the usual photographs of Titanic departing, the river opposite the entry to the WSL Dock is congested by private steam yachts at anchor
1606771852806.jpg
and as far as |
I know, there wee no such channel markers off the entrance to the dock.

1606772298373.jpg

The other pictures are obviously that of the Titanic but the he heights of the funnels in the oval picture made me wonder if this was an odd angle photo of the Lusitania.

The other pictures are obviously that of the Titanic but the he heights of the funnels in the oval picture made me wonder if this was an odd angle photo of the Lusitania.
Hi Arun!
Brilliant observation! However, I disagree. (feel free to rip my "observation" apart ;) )
1. the Aft open A-Deck Promenade
2. the Black rings around Lusitania's Funnels are not present

Some pictures: (from my own personal files)
Lusitania Launching.jpg

Titanic leaving Southampton again.JPG

\

Last edited:
Hi Arun!
Brilliant observation! However, I disagree. (feel free to rip my "observation" apart ;) )
1. the Aft open A-Deck Promenade
2. the Black rings around Lusitania's Funnels are not present

Some pictures: (from my own personal files)
View attachment 74631

View attachment 74632

\
I zoomed in on it and sharpened it up a little. Agree. I dont see the bands around the funnels. Also Lusitania's crows nest always looks higher to me in relation to her stacks than Titanic's does. But that could just be my eye with the different angles.

Back