Titanic: First ever full-sized scans reveal wreck as never seen before

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member

That programme was on BBC Breakfast show to day. They where rather making out it was all new. Quite frankly I have seen most of it years ago now. The dumbest question was we now may understand how the ship sunk! Yet no mention of the fact the ship hit an iceberg and put a hole in her a filled up with water and sunk!

This is excellent new imagery, incredibly clear and detailed, and gives us the best overall look at the wreck that we have ever had. The views of the whole stern are breath taking, and the rapid collapse of the superstructure aft of the Grand Staircase is very sobering. She looks very different now than how she did just a few years ago.

In an ideal world the model would be released to all for study, but you can bet that it won't be!

I know this is going to sound stupid and don't get me wrong the stern is still in ruins but does anybody else think that it isn't in as bad of shape as you thought I mean it looks incredible the wreck its stunning
Precisely my thoughts. As a former scuba diver, I have seen several shipwrecks around the world close up and even penetrated a few but obviously far shallower (in the 20 to 50 metres range). Some of them had sustained extensive wartime damage and compared with those the Titanic's stern appears 'better'. Of course, in reality it is bit of a "psycho-optical" illusion; we are so used to seeing the severely damaged stern section through the water that digitally clearing it leaving just the ship elements suddenly makes it appear more intact.

But all that apart, these are superb pictures and I hope that there are lots more to follow.

Yes I think it all has to do with our technology advancing

That's because they are new images which were captured last summer, by Magellan Ltd. It's never been done. What's important is that, they could offer new insight as to what happened that night, as the images freeze the wreck in time which is the biggest takeaway, in my opinion. There's a lot to study here.

Last edited:
What's important is that, they could offer new insight as to what happened that night!
That's a very big could? We have heard so many theories over the years, or is this just another theory to make money? If was that good why did they not say so!
Then we had that ridiculous reporter comparing the size of Titanic wreck on a London football club pitch which was barely half the size of the ship. Saying how big and enormous the ship was. Clearly hasn't see the size ships of today which can be up to 5-6 bigger than Titanic ever was.
What the programme was lacking were true hard headed well know Titanic historians.

Very true. Will there be internal images as well in due course?
No, Magellan only mapped the exterior.

We won't know until the images are studied thoroughly; you do realize that careful study of this kind of thing takes months, do you not? What Magellan has done is unprecedented - 715,000 images were created to piece together the wrecksite, and you can view it from any angle! What's not to like? So I don't understand your pessimism and complaining, which quite frankly is spoiling the party for the rest of us who are blown away by the clarity and detail from the images. Furthermore, Parks Stephenson was interviewed for this so to say it is lacking "true hard headed well known Titanic historians", is not correct.

Magellan is working on a documentary on the expedition, so that will be interesting to see.

For anyone who wants to take a tour of the wreck with these images, I found this video on YouTube last night:

Here's an article on the expedition which lasted six weeks: