Titanic: First ever full-sized scans reveal wreck as never seen before

The hull numbers were either etched or stamped on. Titanic's propellers were made of bronze metal which have little or no iron, but they can react with oxygen. Which means a green patina aka a film will form on the metal protecting it, from further corrosion.
One other option. The blades could have been cast bronze, and the hull numbers could have been in the actual molds.

One other option. The blades could have been cast bronze, and the hull numbers could have been in the actual molds.
I've looked again and according to TTSM, Mark Chirnside's excellent article on Titanic's centre propeller and Sam Halpern's "Speed and Revolutions The Development of a Slip Table for the SS Titanic" article (also outstanding research), the propellers were made of manganese bronze. As far as the hull numbers go, I have not come across any further information as to how they were placed, apart from what I posted earlier.

I've looked again and according to TTSM, Mark Chirnside's excellent article on Titanic's centre propeller and Sam Halpern's "Speed and Revolutions The Development of a Slip Table for the SS Titanic" article (also outstanding research), the propellers were made of manganese bronze. As far as the hull numbers go, I have not come across any further information as to how they were placed, apart from what I posted earlier.

I would need to check my copy of Chapman's Navigation, Piloting, and Seamanship, but IIRC, all bronze used in maritime applications is manganese bronze alloy.

So apparently part of the model has been uploaded onto Sketchfab, which allowed me to look at the model a little, although parts of the model is very low quality, and some parts are missing. All rights belong to Atlantic Production/Magellan.

A good overview shot, showing how the stern is bent around the forward part of the Well Deck, which is the reason for it looking so mangled.
1685398658854.jpg

The Starboard C-Deck Promenade, with the gangway doors missing.
1685398746816.jpg

Apparently the Portside Second Class Promenade has begun to split away from the stern, a new development.
1685398836257.jpg

Here's the Promenade walls in 2003: (NOAA)
1685398942338.jpg

You can see that while the very aft end is bowed outwards, it is still pretty much still attached to the Stern back then.

It also appears that this area of the stern has shifted to port, very much.
1685399192504.jpg

The Stern counter appears to be leaning more downwards than it was 12 years ago.
1685399399114.jpg

(RMST Inc, WHOI, 2010)
1685399447818.jpg

These are just my observations, lol.

Attachments

• 1685398875414.jpg
    1685398875414.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 43
This article on the Times is paywalled unfortunately, but the gist is that the recent 3d scan has revealed what looks like a jewelled tooth among beads and other passenger possessions.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 13.06.35.jpg

This fanciful line in the article got me wondering it the whole thing wasn't a spoof!

There is no clue as to whom the necklace might have belonged to, though the suspicion is that they were travelling in first class. The team at Magellan intend to use artificial intelligence to identify the owner and, if this is successful, will try to contact their relatives.

This process will involve analysing footage of passengers boarding the doomed voyage and examining their clothing to see whether they might have been wearing the necklace. Facial recognition will also be used to identify the person.

Channel Island Titanic expert and ET member from way back @Mandy Le Boutillier is quoted, although it is unclear whether that is in the context of this particular discovery. Be good to hear more.

big-tooth2.jpg

ITV News:
Lost necklace from wreckage of RMS Titanic discovered by Guernsey-based firm after 111 years

The object next to the shark tooth looks for all the world like a boar tusk set in gold. I wonder whether this is a cache of 'exotic' items that were popular with collectors in the late 19th and early 20th century. Perhaps owned by someone returning from a grand tour, or even perhaps someone trading in colonial/exotic antiquities? Fascinating find!

The Stern counter appears to be leaning more downwards than it was 12 years ago.

Think about it- for this to be the case, the fantail would either have had to have dug further into the mud, or collapsed over itself. However, the same amount of rudder is showing, the wing props haven't moved, and the counter has not collapsed over the rudder at all. What you are seeing is how the fantail has always been- we have just never seen it so accurately before. Paintings, models, previous photo mosaics even- all are out the window now.

I think the stern looks much worse than in many previous photos. The poop deck area is starting to come down at an alarming angle. I thought that and the engines would be the last recognisable parts of the ship
Looks like it's held up by gravity and part of under the mud likely helping metal hold aft stern weight. Bow looks like a ski slope where cranes are.
No one scanned for the builders plaque.

I never realised just how much the stern was flattened. My mental image of it was always based on Ken Marschall's paintings of it from the late 80's, wherein it still had some vestige of volume to it.

It's unfortunate that we didn't get more detailed imagery before now--though the fact that we have this at all remains amazing. But, what I'm saying is that at least some of the damage is certainly progressive failure over the past 40 years. I suspect at this point the bow and the engines may end up being the last pieces of the wreck largely intact at this point, beyond the screws and other bronze fittings.

...we have just never seen it so accurately before. Paintings, models, previous photo mosaics even- all are out the window now.

Right - the first thing that leapt out to me was the degree to which the forward bow section was bent downwards - far more so than previously illustrated and accepted. There's simply no way one can reasonably attribute that to progressive deterioration; the destructive forces involved upon impact with the sea bed did a much bigger number on our old girl than we thought.

Back