Titanic... or The Titanic?

RMS Titanic or just Titanic. (Note italics.)

In the early 1960s, I served in a U.S. Navy destroyer, USS The Sullivans (DD-537). "The" was part of the ship's official name, named after the five Sullivan brothers, sailors who died together in WW2. It wouldn't have been referred to as "The The Sullivans".

According to many modern style guides, you do not have to put 'the' before a vessel's name, unless it is part of the name itself like The Sullivans. Also, if you are citing a ship prefix there is no need to put full stops in the prefix. Thus, RMS Titanic or HMS Edgar is all you need.

This reminds me of the "she vs. he" nomenclature for ships.

As most people know, a ship is considered a "she." For example, she is in drydock, she is anchored out, she is alongside the pier, etc.

But in this ancient mariner's experience, when a ship is underway, a second ship's bridge crew will usually refer to it as a "he." For example: he's cutting across our bow; his bearing is holding steady; look, red over white, he's fishing; he's turning to port; etc. My guess is that a reference to another ship underway is most often about the actions of the watch officer or captain, and thus, historically masculine. (The "ship" isn't cutting across our bow, it's that "guy" driving it.)

If another ship were a floating derelict, I would refer to it as "she." When Titanic's stern section was finally sinking, I think it was it Mr. Boxhall who said or quoted somebody, "She's gone."

Reminds me of the words used by Capt. Stanley Lord:

"When this man was coming along he was showing his green light on our starboard side, before midnight. After we slowly blew around and showed him our red light."

RMS Titanic or just Titanic. (Note italics.)

In the early 1960s, I served in a U.S. Navy destroyer, USS The Sullivans (DD-537). "The" was part of the ship's official name, named after the five Sullivan brothers, sailors who died together in WW2. It wouldn't have been referred to as "The The Sullivans".

Yes, I was under the same impression. I usually only say "Titanic", not only because everyone knows what I'm talking about, but also because everyone I know already knows how crazy I am with the ship. However, I also let out some "The Titanic" from time to time, but these are rare and also depend on the context. But I think "Titanic" is the more general form of refering to the ship.

Reminds me of the words used by Capt. Stanley Lord:

"When this man was coming along he was showing his green light on our starboard side,"
Thanks, Sam. So, Lord didn't say, "When this girl or lady was...."? :)

I've been on the bridge of a ship when the captain said, referring to another ship nearby, "What the hell is he doing?"

At times in the past there has been an attempt to give warships the masculine "he" pronoun while reserving "she" for the less bellicose cargo ships. The latest period I've seen any serious attempt at this was around the Napoleonic era, although I suspect there has been poetic pronouning since. This, of course, goes contrary to the old naval joke that warships are called "she" because it costs so much to dress them and keep them in paint and powder -- a reference to the female proclivity for makeup and new dresses (sails on a ship).

On the Great Lakes the tradition is to name freighters are named for people, and almost always male business executives. This brought about the almost universal use of "the" when speaking the ship's name to avoid confusion with the human being carrying the same moniker.

-- David G. Brown

When i'm just talking to my friends or family about "The Titanic" I usually hear myself say just "Titanic" but when I am writing "Titanic", I write "The Titanic" because it is a proper noun. Also when I am like talking to formal people like teachers, I say "The Titanic".

When I'm typing about "Titanic" I use just "Titanic". When I'm referring Titanic in speech, I sometimes use "The" Titanic. Simple. :)

Back