TITANIC'S SISTER OLYMPIC WW1 DAZZLE SCHEME

Actually, that liner looks like the Lusitania. (Notice the absense of the cowl type vents on the upperworks which were so prominant on both the Aquatania and Mauritania.) If this is the case, this would be an exceedingly rare photo of the ship near the end of her life.

Hi Mike,

my guess is that would be the Mauretania at Gallipoli, early May of 1915. The photograph is likely after April 25th, as Mr. Drewry's head wound does not seem visible or slowing him down. Lusitania could not have been at that location - correct?

Best,
Eric

The profile looks like Mauretania to me. If the location stated on the caption is correct, it could not have been Lusitania, as she didn't see any war duties. The photo is rather indistinct, and because of the distance and blurriness, I think her cowl vents are there but it is difficult to make them out.

Russell

>>Lusitania could not have been at that location - correct?<<

Since the Lusitania never went to that part of the world, that would be the smart bet. The caption states the name of the location was Imbros (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbros ). If this is correct, then it would have to be the Mauritania. The profile is just wrong for any other ship. However, if the caption is incorrect, all bets are off! Try as I might, I just can't make out any of the cowl vents which were such a destinctive part of Mauritania's profile.

However, the photo isn't the best and niether are my eyes. The short version is that you could be right and I could be wrong.

Hi Mike,

I think the answer lies in the paint scheme - compare the Drewry image with some images of the Mauretania at Gallipoli in 1915 (you can find some in JM-G's Dazzle and Drab). In the Drewry image the side of the Promenade Deck, beneath the Boat Deck, is painted black from just aft of the starboard running light straight on back. The cowl vents are somewhat visible - the easiest to see are those by the Bridge, but I believe the Lusitania had cowl vents there by 1915 so I the best clue is the paint scheme I think.

Best,
Eric

There's no record anywhere of Lucy being anywhere near Mudros at any time. Ship seems to have a shorter 'nose' and no high ventilators on foredeck than Aquitania. Can the photo be dated? I would venture to say it is Mauretania, there seems hints of the cowls along top of house and the two behind bridge are visible - and M is known to have been at Mudros as was Olympic.

Back