Visit Titanic Competition

95659.jpg

A picture I took only ten days ago or so...

Many here will recognise the great bulb researcher Jack Halogen - one half of the famous Halogen & Anode research partnership.

His wife 'Tricity was buying the drinks at the time, I think. This was snapped in the lounge of the High Tension Hotel in Southampton, at the recent annual conduction of the Bulb Tungsten Society.

Many will also recognise the model of this pioneer. It is the famous Conchita bulb, and there are no prizes for guessing that she spent a long career on the Spanish mains.

Almost as famous as that other blown bulb of history, the Cutty Short, this bulb operated in parallel.

You'll note that there is a head hiding behind the couch. I think that is Geoff Voltfield, but I couldn't be sure.

Also note the bulbs immediately whipped from their holders on the wall. An unfortunate feature of BTS gatherings.

We had a lecture about Princess Elettra Marconi (silly surname, I know), and there was the usual row about who was right, Shortt or Sircutt.

More heat than light generated, unfortunately.

Gosh, Bob, you do take me back.

That picture made my bulb run cold.

I remember the loss of the General Bulbgrano very well.

Falkland hell! That takes me back...

There was a news blackout about it, I remember.

But should we really be talking of other great bulb losses of history, do you think?

If so, this thread could run and run. I am immediately reminded of Davy Sockett and that famous last stand against the Mexican repairmen.

Remember the Dynamo!

Well, where does one start?

Was it King Canute who first got in the way of current? That's one wave you want to avoid, Your Majesty. Electro-Canuted.

1066 and all that? Poor King Harold had at least one light knocked out by Norman Archers. Norman was struck off the Register of Approved Electrical Contractors for that one... and of course they had that portentous comet at the time, didn't they? At least something was blazing in the night sky...

King Henry VIII? An electrically-minded monarch. Very keen on his wire and the particular output his input might get him. Had no fewer than six separate suppliers. You can imagine them all vying to generate... there must have been sparks flying at 'Ampton Court. They just never produced the necessary bulb...

Er... let's see, what else...

Oh yes. The Charge of the Light Brigade.

The Russians - and I don't blame them - were absolutely astounded at the audacity of the British call-out men. Fancy producing a charge like that for half an hour's work! We're living with the legacy of that to this day.

Electro-historians still argue as to whether that was a positive or negative charge... but there was nothing good about it that I can see. Crimea river... my bills still have a standing charge.

Then there's the first outlaw, Robin of Nottingham, convicted of fiddling the meter on his local provider, Sherwood Force. Sheer brute force in his case, he just jemmied the box open.

How did he ever get turned into a legend, apart from having made Marian?

Anyway, I should switch off and go to bed.

Tomorrow we can talk about Soviet Russia's five-year-plan to provide power for industry ("Battle of Stalin Grid") or anything else you want.

Molony powering down.

Just one more thing:

Inger, I've tried holding your "No Lights" up to the mirror, as you suggest...

"274911-04" actually seems to say "PO-IIPETS."

I know people in Northern Ireland have strong accents, even for a Southerner like me, but I am still left highly confused.

"No aye-aye Pets?" Is this some laboured reference to Captain Smith's monkey? I thought we had disposed of that canard...

Meanwhile do you think it should now be 3POP-OIIEH, seeing as we're no longer in the dark?

Sean,

But Henry VIII did produce the necessary bulbs: Ed Watt the Sixth, Lizzybulb the 1st, and Bulby Mary. Also Henry Fritzy from an alternate energy supplier, not connected by direct currant -- er, current -- Lizzybulb Blown-it, Lady Tal-bolt.

What a hoot of a history! Thanks.

Back