Voxelpunk Titanic in VR

TimTurner

I put this on it's own thread, since it seems a number of Titanic-specific games have their own thread.

I started building a model of Titanic a few years back in a popular voxel game (Minecraft). Then I decided I could do better if I built my own voxel engine in Virtual Reality. While the game does do other things, it's core has always been there for this specific model project.

My game is called Voxelpunk, and while it isn't officially released yet, I thought I'd share some work-in-progress as I rebuild Titanic (for the 3rd time!) on a 1 block = 6" resolution. The player can change size, so I can fit Titanic in my living room (1:25 scale), or walk around it life-size (1:1 scale). This Titanic model will be content when the game is released. The game will be free (alternative funding model) but you'll need a VR-capable Windows computer and a headset like a HTC Vive to play. No firm release date yet.

I've completed the basic form of the Tank Top. I've just started on the main engines and smoke uptakes. Current work is building the form of the hull up to C deck.

If you see any inaccuracies, let me know and hopefully I can fix them before they get out of hand. I've noticed that the propeller nacelle wings in my model are horizontal, where they should be at about a 45 degree angle. Also, I know the main engine isn't centerline, that's just a temporary form for guidance.

I've almost completed the hull form. Changed the background color so it's easier to see the shape.

One of the major features I'm working with is a copy-paste tool, so it speeds up the process a lot. I still need to work on rendering the whole thing at once, but it's big. Just the hull here is probably close to 500,000 voxels.

This video isn't very polished. Mostly I just wanted to give an update.

I've been working on some of the underlying technology and fixing software bugs. In this video, you can see the bulk of G Deck is complete. You can't see much of G Deck because the floor of F Deck is already there.

You can see hatches 5 & 6 in the stern, rising up to where the aft welldeck on C will be. Both Port and Starboard hatches number 4 go down into food stores, and some of the 3rd class berthing is there.

I've also started to convert the living spaces to use white for wall color, instead of the same gray I started with for the deck.

The coal bunkers have been a bit difficult, since I have no good blueprints of their exact layout. The diagrams don't really display their features well. The smoke uprisers are also something of a guesswork/interpolation.

I've been realizing my stern section is a few feet wide, so I'll need to nip and tuck the hull a bit in the near future. The curved hull sections are really the pain in voxel-based modelling.

I haven't updated this in a while, since I've mostly been working on my game engine, rather than the Titanic model.

Just introduced a 3rd person camera this weekend, which I've been working toward for a while since it allows me to capture nice in-progress timelapse videos like this one. This is the first timelapse I've released of me actually building the model.

This is F Deck, between watertight bulkheads A and C. Firemens' berthing and 3rd class.
src=""

Astute observers may note that the bow here is a couple feet too wide on either side, an issue I'll have to address eventually. This is the reason I didn't add the firemen's bunks that line the hull here.

Still working on it... another minor update.

Almost done bringing in the port side bow. Then I can copy-paste to starboard.

Back