Warning the passengers

Mike, one very big problem was that a lot of people, passangers and some of the crew(Like stewards, stewardesses, et el) didn't beleive it was serious, and when word started to get around, a lot of people still didn't beleive it. The idea of an unsinkable ship sinking was rediculous. Even some of the officers didn't beleive it was serious at first. (See Lightollers testimony in the U.S. Senate Investigation as an example.) If some of the officers don't beleive it's serious, how do you get a fussy first class lady to give up the certain comfort, warmth and safety of the ship for the cold open lifeboat about to be set off on the North Atlantic in the middle of the night?

I have no doubt that effective communications was one of the first casualties, but as to neglect, well, the Sunday boat drill was canceled, and when the ship was going down, it was all the officers could do to find crewmen who were actually competant to man the boats. There weren't that many. I'm sure this just scratches the surface, but you get the idea. Rumor has it you're a smart guy. ;-)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

That's what they all say. Anyhow, click on my name and and email me if you have a chance. I wanted to recommend some back issues of TI's journal.
Mike

Mike, I tried E-mailing you through the board, but clicking on your name doesn't seem to work. At the risk of getting trash from the odd troll who drops in here, my e-mail address is [email protected]

Phil, if you're reading this, I don't mind if people can e-mail me clicking on my name. Trolls are a bit of a risk, but I've got a loaded delete button on my machine for that.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

There were a few people who didn't want there email address shown so I disabled that link for everyone I don't think it is possible to do it for individuals. It is probably easier for people to give out their email address on a post if and when they want it known.

The "Formatting" option on the menu bar tells you how to insert an email link like this.

Mike,
Being new to all of this, allow me to ask perhaps the stupid question of the day regarding this topic...is it possible that with all of the partying going on "the ship of dreams" and all....that folks had been dancing, perhaps drinking (although it was Sunday) and generally staying up later than normal...I guess what I am saying , is it possible that people were hastily notified but due to the passengers exhaustion that they did not respond to the calls. Or just not wanting to get out of their beds?

I am bracing myself....

Maureen.

I'm not sure which Mike you're asking this of, but I'll take a stab at it. I'm not aware of any parties/galas/dances which took place on the Titanic on Sunday so exhaustion really wouldn't be much of an issue unless somebody was recovering from a Saturday bash. The problems were several fold, starting with a slow appriciation for just how much trouble the ship was really in. Andrews, Ismay and Captain Smith were the first to know the ship was doomed. Then there was the popular beleif that the ship was unsinkable, so when word started to get out, it wasn't with any real sense of urgency. Even some of the senior officers didn't really understand the full extent of the danger at first. It's not much of a shocker that nobody really took it seriously.

Add in insufficient lifeboats, no drill, no real organisation among the crew, and few crew actually qualified(even fewer who knew their assignments) to man the boats and you can see how things sour in a fine hurry.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Once Smith knew the ship was doomed he sent Murdoch to wake the passengers and stewards. But as we all know he only woke some (who knows how many) and told the stewards to do the rest. So, I would assume that there was a drop in communication there which may have lead to it. But I think that third class were the last to know and if they were not all of them.

Erik

All that has been written seems to show a general air of ineffiency on board Titanic. Lack of communication: lack of boat drill: lack of urgency.

Was this peculiar to White Star, or common amongst other shipping companies in the early 1900's?

Martin Pirrie.

I have a few comments I would like to add. I think that Smith did the right thing by under playing the situation. If mass panic had insued then many more would be dead. As a passenger Captain a boat drill is just a way to make passengers feel safe. In the even that you had to evacuate the ship in a timely and orderly manner most of the passengers would not have gone to the right boat. The go where ever the closest boat it that is the far away from danger. I will say that boat drills help the crew. If they know what to do then the situation will get done or fixed. Today Boat Drills are required upon leaving a port. Back then I do believe that they were required for crew only and some companies like White Star usually did them after the Sunday Inspection. But that could be wrong I will have to dig on that one.

Erik

Back