Well Kept Titanic SurvivorVictims Graves

Hi Darren,

I know the Straus mausoleum in Woodlawn Cemetery in Bronx, New York, has fresh Spring flowers planted every year. The Straus family maintains the site as the mausoleum continues to serve as an active burial place for the family.

Although I haven't visited the cemetery for some time, I remember that George Rosenshine's grave was completely overgrown by weeds and shrubbery. The Bayside Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York, was generally neglected and I can only hope that conditions have improved.

Mike Findlay

[Moderator's note: This thread was in "General Titanica", but has been moved here. JDT]
I heard some "Titanic Parasite" took photos of Lilly Asplund's coffin. That is gross and uncalled for. I hope nothing like that happened to other's!

>>Michael, great photos of all those graves. Thanks for posting those.<<

You're welcome. I'd have to echo Denise's remarks that a lot of the graves we saw were in little more then O.K. condition. That some are reletively unmolested is due in no small part to their being in obscure locations. The Saint Mary's cemetary where we found the grave of Shawneene George (Whabee) was on the opposite side of the town of where it was supposed to be and it was quite an odyssey to find it.

This one did at least have a small pot of fresh flowers by the headstone. Hardly spectacular, but it does speak to somebody locally who knows about it and who keeps an eye on it.
St. Mary's? I live near a St. Mary's, in Maryland. Or is it somewhere else? I really hope not!

Yesterday I visited the grave of Hedvik (Hedvig) Turkula. She was the oldest survivor of the RMS Titanic at 63 years old and had to be hauled onto the Carpathia during rescue. She lived in the Hibbing, MN area where I live and here I find out recently that I have less than a mile to drive on my state highway and take a right turn on a gravel road, drove about 9 miles, to find this hugely secluded and unknown cemetary. Voila! My husband felt freaked out. The day was gray but I think it was just knowing he was so close to the bones of a deceased survivor. Sharing pictures with you. I am hoping to return and clean the family headstone and see if I can get permission to add a plaque to let passersby know of her voyage.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 72
>>St. Mary's? I live near a St. Mary's, in Maryland. Or is it somewhere else? I really hope not!<<

This was, if I recall correctly, in Pennsylvania. The gathering we were all there for took place in Vermillion Ohio.

Yesterday I visited the grave of Hedvik (Hedvig) Turkula. She was the oldest survivor of the RMS Titanic at 63 years old and had to be hauled onto the Carpathia during rescue. She lived in the Hibbing, MN area where I live and here I find out recently that I have less than a mile to drive on my state highway and take a right turn on a gravel road, drove about 9 miles, to find this hugely secluded and unknown cemetary. Voila! My husband felt freaked out. The day was gray but I think it was just knowing he was so close to the bones of a deceased survivor. Sharing pictures with you. I am hoping to return and clean the family headstone and see if I can get permission to add a plaque to let passersby know of her voyage.
It's good that there are people like you that is willing to take care of these old graves. I've run across old graves in Wyoming from the Oregon Trail that someone is taking care of. It was good to see that people still care about the history. I haven't been there yet but from what I've seen on the web the Titanic graves at Halifax are well taken care of. Cheers.

Back