What happened to Lusitania's bridge?

Auden G Minor

I am a Titanic enthusiest!
I have never seen the bridge on the wreck and I have no idea what happened to it, can anybody tell me what happened to it?

Seeing as how the Lusitania sank in such shallow water it is very likely that the bridge along with most of the superstructure was crushed on impact with the bottom. That's why the Lusitania's wreck barely resembles an ocean liner.

1606062647174.png

Last edited:
The British Depth Charging of the wreck would also account for the destruction. What you are looking at in the paintings and photos is essentially a ship that has sank in shallow water, and then also had bombs dropped on it.

Real shame they did that to be honest, it's a historic wreck due to the fact that it is one of the main reasons the US entered WWI as well as being one of the Gamechangers that caused JP Morgan to get the WSL to create the Olympic Class.

The British Depth Charging of the wreck would also account for the destruction. What you are looking at in the paintings and photos is essentially a ship that has sank in shallow water, and then also had bombs dropped on it.

Real shame they did that to be honest, it's a historic wreck due to the fact that it is one of the main reasons the US entered WWI as well as being one of the Gamechangers that caused JP Morgan to get the WSL to create the Olympic Class.
Yes. And the hundreds of fishing nets dragged over her through out the years probably didn't help much either. From what I've read they can be quite destructive as well, especially once she started to deteriorate.

The bridge of the "Andrea Doria", at a similar depth, had been flexed by the tides and current of the Gulf Stream causing it to collapse. I, however, concur with the Admiralty's depth charging the "Lusitania" s the principal reason for the collapse. Fishing nets would would have a similar effect once the wreckage was weakened, though considering the gauge of her steel, it would take a long time for that to happen.
I personally believe any and all recognizable structure of the ship should be recovered, conserved, and placed in a non-politically assigned museum. There are no human remains left under that wreckage and historically, she is critical to the 20th Century.

Back