What is your favorite Lusitania documentary

No ship the size of Lusitania had been SUNK by such an event, but Mauretania had a torpedo fired at her. Thanks to captain whoever's quick thinking and the ship builders competence, the missile missed by several feet.
For the record, the captain pushed the engines to their maximum and hard-swung the helm (P or S, I will have to check).
The torpedo missed by several feet. In the defence of Turner, I will have to say that he expected some kind of similar action to be taken in such a circumstance.
Regards, Ryan.

> In the defence of Turner, I will have to say that he expected some kind of similar action to be taken in such a circumstance

Which is no defense at all. One recurring theme in survivor accounts of the events of May 7th is that earlier in the day, for some reason, Turner slowed the ship down to such an extent that it had people talking amongst themselves- yet another interesting detail to be found in the L.o.L. transcripts. So in addition to his ignoring the orders to zig-zag, stay in mid channel, avoid headlands, there is also the matter of this still not-well-explained slow down in the middle of a war zone in an area where he already knew a submarine was, or submarines were. His later explanation of his horrendous judgment errors during the ship's final hour, that he misunderstood the orders, is beyond risible.

Frankly, even if the Germans had hung a banner off of the NDL pier saying "we are going to sink you on May 7th" which the passengers saw and chose to ignore, they would most likely have survived, and the crossing been as safe as Cunard assured those who asked that it would be, if the captain had followed his orders and the ship been where she should have been.

>No ship the size of Lusitania had been SUNK by such an event, but Mauretania had a torpedo fired at her. Thanks to captain whoever's quick thinking and the ship builders competence, the missile missed by several feet

which reenforces

as of May 1st, nothing of the scale of the Lusitania torpedoing had yet happened, at least with regards to transatlantic travellers, so rationalizing away the ad (which ran on the travel page and not in the hard news section of the paper) would have been easier then than it would have been for someone reading it on May 8th.

Because anyone who who read the warning on the morning of May 1, who was aware of the event you described, would probably have interpreted it as a sign of the safety of the large Cunard ships, not of the danger of torpedoes.

The cavalier attitude of Lusitania passengers to the threat of attack by submarines is striking when one considers the high feeling of nervousness on that part of at least one segment of the travelling public that prevailed just a few months before.

In the first months of 1915, Cunard stepped up its advertising campaign in the leading fashion trade paper, Women’s Wear Daily, in reaction to a falling off of business from buyers and stylists. Fashion professionals were among the most frequent sea-goers but these men and women had curtailed their shopping expeditions to Paris due to the war, or more specifically to the threat of U-boats. Their absence was cutting into profits and Cunard, for one, was very proactive in regaining the confidence of these business travelers.

Cunard took out full and double page ads in WWD, promoting its voyages, and stressing the speed and safety of Lusitania in particular. The paper’s editorial department even cooperated in Cunard’s campaign by publishing on the front page increasingly longer lists of names of prominent fashion folk who were travelling on Lusitania.

The media blitz obviously worked as Lusitania’s passenger list for her final trip was full of buyers. It also included two undisputed leaders in the New York fashion world, manufacturer Max Schwarz (Max M. Schwarz, Inc) and designer Caroline Hickson-Kennedy (Hickson, Inc). The Schwarz and Hickson empires were mainstays in American fashion at the turn of the century and were in fact pioneers in creating the mystique of "Fifth Avenue," where their palatial showrooms were located. Sadly both Schwarz and Hickson-Kennedy lost their lives in the sinking.

A separate point is that, in contrast to all the subsequent stories of last-minute cancellations by apprehensive wealthy passengers, two documented cases bear out personal rather than political reasons for not sailing. Top fashion designer "Lucile," Lady Duff Gordon, cancelled her passage because of genuine health complications (she had an emergency hysterectomy), and Mrs. Claude Graham-White, wife of the famous aviator, cancelled because of a sudden legal matter involving a family investment.

For me it's a draw between Murder on the Atlantic and The Last Voyage of the Lusitania by Network First.

The latter is specially moving for me as they use the music of Enya for the soundtrack.

The Last Voyage of the Lusitania, not sure of the title but I taped it off National Geographic channel years ago and it was profoundly moving, in fact probably the most moving documentary I have seen on maritime disasters and the shots of Ballard flipping through photos of some of the dead passengers was just terrible. Never forgot it. I think the Lusitania was every bit as great a tragedy as the Titanic.

>>The Last Voyage of the Lusitania, not sure of the title but I taped it off National Geographic channel years ago and it was profoundly moving, in fact probably the most moving documentary.<<

Hi You got the title right I remember the documentary myself in 1993. It was narrated by Martin Sheen at least the one I saw was. It was really sad seeing Robert Ballard look though all those Photos of the Victims. But that was what interested me in the Lusitania in the first place thinking of the people that sailed upon her. That's what makes a ship the people, who made her and who worked on her and who sailed upon her.
happy.gif

Back