What other rooms have ROVs visited in the Titanic

Hi all,

I know the remains of the GSC (Grand Staircase) is the main part of the ship, but i was wondering what other rooms the ROV's have visited and discovered.

So far here are the rooms/foyers that exhibitions have visited on the Titanic wreck site:

The GSC- A to B Decks ( Robert Ballard's Expedition)
Suite B-51 (Cameron's Expedition)
The Reception Room on D-deck (Cameron's Expedition)
Main Entrances on D-deck (Cameron's Expedition)

Are there any other rooms that ROVs have visited and what did they discover?

Sources used: James Cameron's Titanic and the Discovery of the Titanic.

Regards Nigel

Nigel,
one of the Nautile efforts visited the third class area in the bow and found little much beyond rusticle-covered floors and rusted bulkheads - they did come across a collapsed sink basin with a light fixture in it. The mail sorting room has been explored, with the bags of mail covered in a pink, hairy fungus and the gate to the cargo areas locked. One cargo area was briefly explored but all that was found was a rotted crates, the only parts intact were the brass-capped end corners. The No. 1 hatch was accessed, but all that was found there were the iron cross bars still in place. The wireless cabin was recently visited, where wires and equipment still hang from the ceiling and dissolving walls.
The third class general room and entrance was examined at the stern in 1991 by the US-Canadian-Russian expedition. In the midst of the chaos of ruptured bulkheads and twisted beams, the black and white tiles on the floor were crystal clear.
Ismay's cabin was looked into - found were his collapsing sink basin and an overturned chair frame.
The boiler room at the tear was looked at and all 5 boilers were seen still intact in their beds.
A third class area corridor was also supposedly looked at by a French expedition and a gate was found to be locked. I am not sure if the film footage which shows this locked gate was from a passageway (it looks too wide - might be from a cargo area), but the program Titanic- Secrets Revealed used it as 'proof' that some gates in the forward third class area were locked...

My .02

Dan C.

If those locked gates portrayed are the ones with the huge bars, I think you'll find it comes from the cargo area. Specifically surounding the hatches on the way down. (But I could be wrong)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Michael,
the gate shown as being from the third class passageway were an accordion-style slider type, but the space it spanned appeared to be too wide to be a passageway. That's why I thought perhaps they were from the mail sorting room or baggage area instead of a corridor. The vertical, huge bars of the cargo hatch shaft were also shown, and are distinctively different.
The accordion-style gates (identical to those shown in the movie Titanic, used to keep back the passengers) are the right type seen in the wreck footage, but the great expanse it covered gave me the first impression it wasn't spanning a corridor. However, I could be, and very likely am, wrong...

Regards,
Dan

P.S. Michael, have you started on that 1/350 Titanic model yet?

Hi Dan, with things the way they've been, I haven't even had a chance to think about starting the model. When I do get going, I have to wonder how I'm going to find a nice cat proof place to keep it.

On the gates, I remember seeing some photos of the thing being cited as "proof" that the gates were locked, but I don't think I've seen an image of the whole thing. My impression from a Discovery special dealing with this expedition was that this gate was what seperated the mail room from the baggage room.

With all the sensationalism, I have to wonder who to trust.

Cordially,(And suspiciously)
Michael H. Standart

Has any ROVs been behind the GSC (or what's left of it) and looked at the elevators? I guess the best point of entry would be the D-deck entrance doors that lead into the 1st-class reception room?

The reason I ask this question is because it was mentioned somewhere in Robert Ballard's Discovery of the Titanic book, because of the increase of technology with underwater exploration I wonder if this area has ever been visited yet.Though some areas in the Titanic are very risky.

Regards Nigel

At the risk of making a complete fool of myself (again!), can anyone confirm/dispel the presence of the grand piano seen at the beginning of Titanic. I assume that something made of so much metal and ivory would have a fairly good chance of being recognisable today.
Was this one of Camerons models or was it the real thing on D Deck, or even one of the other "joannas" on board (there were five, I think)?

Kind Regards

Sam

No, Sam, the piano you see in the movie as the ROV floats through the reception room was done in a smoke-filled studio to replicate the real thing. A careful study of those films will help you distinguish between the two kinds of film. Very little film of the actual wreckage (compared to the reels shot over twelve dives) was actually used in the final movie cut.
By the way, I am deeply moved by the work you and Phillippe are doing to save the Nomadic, the last ship of the White Star Line in existence. Congratulations to you both.

Kyrila

Is anything left of the Ritz restaraunt on B deck? As you can tell I don't know much about the state the wreck is in today. Just wondering...

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Kyrila,
I know that Cameron had a model reception room, and the dining room of the wreck
made to put into the movie, it was to my understanding that is was sunken in water and was filmed that way. Was the reception room really done with smoke?
I guess I have to pull out my James Cameron's books and read it again.

Beverly

Brandon,
the restaurant on B-deck became a part of what the trashed-out stern section is today. There is nothing left to remotely suggest a restaurant today.

Hello Dan,

I sort of suspected that, as I hadn't ever heard of anyone taking a look at it on the wreck. I think it's sad that many of the ship's grandest rooms, such as the Ritz and especially the first class smoking room, were trashed by the implosion of the stern.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Ok, now that I have dug our James Cameron's Titanic, smoke filled rooms were used also, especially when they show the opening dive on the wreck, the bow section was suspended upside down to make it easier on the crews to get to with the model Mir Subs.

The 1st class reception room and the Millionaire's Suite were re-created from Cameron's dive on the wreck in a tank and filled with water. (pgs-144-145).

Quote:
"The sets were made to film the ROV's search for the Heart of the Ocean and many felt eerie to be diving on SCUBA". "If there are any ghosts on Titanic, then this is surely how they move- floating through the corridors, no longer subject to the intense pressure or cold".

Ok, enough said... we are both correct in what we read. And I KNEW I had read it somewhere.

Beverly

Back