Which message has been altered?

There were the Mount Temple and the Parisian too in the mix. and many other lesser known ships some of which - like the Campanello - have been considered as the "mystery ship" that was supposedly between the Titanic and the Californian. It is usually an attempt to exonerate Captain Lord and the crew of the Californian.

I suggest checking the links in Paul Lee's Titanic page: http://www.paullee.com/titanic/index.php . In particular, the recently updated Ice Warnings Received by the Titanic and A Complete Record of Wireless Messages.
Thanks for posting the link. It's an excellent site. Have been there many times in the past.

Yes, I often refresh my memory going through the ‘Indifferent Stranger’ and Paul Lee’s website and his ‘ice warnings’ section. (Wasn’t aware of any recent updates since last week when I checked, and haven’t yet checked again ).

The peripheral stuff is (I consider) very important. It adds the odd additional missing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.

Paul Lee couldn’t ascertain where the Antillian was because he didn’t have Booth’s ‘Signals of Disaster’ containing Captain Japha’s position sent to The Californian.

Sam has demolished the Almerian myth by piecing together the bits of the jig saw puzzle with a bit of the puzzle found by Tim Maltin.

I don’t have access to the Dutch newspaper archives to check whether what Paul Lee quotes about the SS Campanello is correct or not. I have found on here a newspaper report of the La Bretagne from it’s wireless operator and Captain Mace that the La Bretagne sent a message to the SS Campanello noon on 15th April.

One thing that I think I have found is that the SS Campanello at around this time period of 1912 was going all over the Atlantic and to various multiple ports.

I am quite happy to accept that the SS Campanello got within a few miles of the Titanic wreck site a day later than the Lloyds report. So a day after the night of the disaster.

What however is of concern is the errors made by the British Inquiry over this that could easily have been discovered at the time and the failure to question Adams about this.

Probably the timing of the SS Campanello’s coordinates of ice etc fit in with this southern drift of the ice etc.

Last edited:
Yes, I often refresh my memory going through the ‘Indifferent Stranger’ and Paul Lee’s website and his ‘ice warnings’ section. (Wasn’t aware of any recent updates since last week when I checked, and haven’t yet checked again ).

The peripheral stuff is (I consider) very important. It adds the odd additional missing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.

Paul Lee couldn’t ascertain where the Antillian was because he didn’t have Booth’s ‘Signals of Disaster’ containing Captain Japha’s position sent to The Californian.

Sam has demolished the Almerian myth by piecing together the bits of the jig saw puzzle with a bit of the puzzle found by Tim Maltin.

I don’t have access to the Dutch newspaper archives to check whether what Paul Lee quotes about the SS Campanello is correct or not. I have found on here a newspaper report of the La Bretagne from it’s wireless operator and Captain Mace that the La Bretagne sent a message to the SS Campanello noon on 15th April.

One thing that I think I have found is that the SS Campanello at around this time period of 1912 was going all over the Atlantic and to various multiple ports.

I am quite happy to accept that the SS Campanello got within a few miles of the Titanic wreck site a day later than the Lloyds report. So a day after the night of the disaster.

What however is of concern is the errors made by the British Inquiry over this that could easily have been discovered at the time and the failure to question Adams about this.

Probably the timing of the SS Campanello’s coordinates of ice etc fit in with this southern drift of the ice etc.
"What however is of concern is the errors made by the British Inquiry over this that could easily have been discovered at the time and the failure to question Adams about this."
It's been awhile since I've read both inquires. My take on them is that U.S. inquiry while they did ask some goofy question at times was that they were genuinely trying find answers where as the british inquiry was pretty much just going thru the motions with a pre determined outcome. Whether or not that's the case it's my impression of the matter. I know other members have expressed similar thoughts in the past. Cheers.

Last edited:
At the British Inquiry was pretty much just going thru the motions with a pre determined outcome
I am glad that someone said this because that was precisely the impression that I got from several seemingly carefully framed questions at the British Inquiry as well as not summoning some key survivor witnesses who might have had useful information. As I see it, the fact that the British Inquiry started after several key survivor witnesses had given evidence over 11 days in New York laid the groundwork for what happened next. That in itself might seem natural since the survivors first arrived in New York and needed to give evidence there (if summoned) before returning to the UK. Yes, it was the natural course of events but it did give the Wreck Commissioner's team the opportunity to not only know what was said across the 'Pond' but also plan how they were going to approach their own investigation later. IF, a certain degree of cover-up....or at least glossing over...was in the committee's collective mind, they could not have had a better opportunity. And - to quote Steven - some 'goofy' questions asked in New York made the British Inquiry appear more credible by comparison; while it was certainly better structured, that is not always the same as credibility.

Back