Why did Titanic settle down into the water after the collision, and did she continue to do so during the sinking?

Hi,
I've been wondering on why the Titanic after the Iceberg collision settled down into the water. And did the ship continue to do so during the Sinking?

I'll try answer this question as best as I can based on what is known.

The fact that Titanic didn't capsize is a mystery that is hard to determine why. I have done some brief research and it has mostly been linked towards the suitable design of the ship. It is known for a fact that there was a list to port during the sinking, however the ship didn't capsize, even after the breakup. Again, this is mostly summed down to the design of the ship.
Site member Dave Gittins responded to a question like that last year (which I have linked) by stating "Quite simply, Titanic didn't capsize because she was pretty well designed. Water entering the starboard side could easily flow across the ship and keep her reasonably upright. There were a few obstructions, like the firemen's tunnel, but overall the design was good."

Now, once the ship slipped beneath the surface, the bow mostly descended calmly, albeit with damage occurring as the funnels were snapping off of their wiring, destroying the bulk of the davits. The mast also snapped back, destroying the wheelhouse, but other than that the bow descended pretty calmly until it impacted on the bottom.

The stern on the other hand, experienced an implosion within the first 200-400 feet under the surface. This caused the stern to begin spiraling out of control right until it settled as it landed on the ocean floor.

I'll link this here. Answer by Gittins

Feel free to respond if you want anything clarified.

Tom Lynskey has an interesting theory of it having to do with the coal bunker fire. The stokers shoveling coal from the burning bunker on the starboard side to an empty bunker on the port side to get the fire to go out, resulting in a 2-3 degree port list. Then the ship's starboard side hits the iceberg, the water flooding in creates a starboard heeling moment bringing it back that way. Lightoller orders the D-deck shell door opened hoping to load lifeboats through it. Scotland Road on the port side begins to flood, and that open shell door starts dipping underwater, bringing the ship's list back toward port. By now, the ship settled enough in the water, with enough flood water down low to weight it down, to help prevent it from fully rolling over.

It's on the Titanic Honor & Glory Youtube page from several years ago, I think the video is Miracles of the Titanic Sinking or something like that.

Tom Lynskey has an interesting theory of it having to do with the coal bunker fire. The stokers shoveling coal from the burning bunker on the starboard side to an empty bunker on the port side to get the fire to go out, resulting in a 2-3 degree port list. Then the ship's starboard side hits the iceberg, the water flooding in creates a starboard heeling moment bringing it back that way. Lightoller orders the D-deck shell door opened hoping to load lifeboats through it. Scotland Road on the port side begins to flood, and that open shell door starts dipping underwater, bringing the ship's list back toward port. By now, the ship settled enough in the water, with enough flood water down low to weight it down, to help prevent it from fully rolling over.

It's on the Titanic Honor & Glory Youtube page from several years ago, I think the video is Miracles of the Titanic Sinking or something like that.
Thanks you two!

Thanks you two!
One interesting thing I have just thought of is that one side of boiler room five is the underside of the swimming pool , now as boiler room five fills up the compartment of the swimming pool on the starboard side at G deck level would act like a buoyancy tank there by assisting the list to port

Back