Collision Sinking which contributed most to the loss of so many lives

That is indeed a very good point. To one that I have no real answer. The loading of the boats however could be seen two ways. One is that Smith had no way of knowing that his previous order (to have them swung out) was completed. So Lightoller going to Smith to ask permission to load the boats, was Lightoller's way of telling Smith that the previous order had been carried out, and the next step in the evolution (which required the masters consent) need an affirmative response from Smith.

But the rockets.....

No Michael! and I've never shot an albatross either!

Sam is probably right in that it came from a landsman's interpretation of what was going on.

Since the evidence wasn't actually verbatim, how can we know exactly the expressions used by individuals to Smith after completing a given task? e.g. "Excuse me sir - it's getting a bit 'hairy' around here. Don't you think we should be putting those poor sods in the boats?" as opposed to:
" Sir - All the boats have been prepared for embarkation do you wish us to proceed embarking passengers first?".

Somehow I think the latter form fits the bill and is an approximation to what Erik is describing.

Cheers,

Jim.

There is plenty of evidence that Capt. Smith was not reactive despite some impressions that Lightoller or Boxhall may have given. Two examples,

QM Hichens: I heard the Captain say "Get all the boats out and serve out the belts." That was after 12.

AB Poingdestre: I was going up on to the boat deck to go towards my own boat, and I heard the Captain pass the remark, "Start putting the women and children in the boats," and then I went to my boat, No. 12.

One has to also keep in mind the noise of the escaping steam that was going on for quite some time, and some orders may not have been heard by everyone.

>>No Michael! and I've never shot an albatross either!<<

Nor have I, though I've wanted to on the odd occasion.
wink.gif

>>Somehow I think the latter form fits the bill and is an approximation to what Erik is describing.<<

So do I.

It was very interesting to read the expert opinions expressed here, particularly about Captain Smith; a hero of mine.

Schuyler Johnson's post which started these discussions could have been a straight take from the script of Cameron's Titanic and we know what a jaundiced view of Smith he had. In his defence he had a movie to make and in journalistic phraseology " never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

One of the many odd things that surrounds the debate of Captain Smith is....Captain Smith. Is there any written testimony on any other very serious incident in which Smith was involved, sort of like a comparison from one situation to another.

The situations that Sam points out show that Smith was capable of issuing orders, but also shows that Lightoller and Boxhalls description might not be entirely accurate.

>>Is there any written testimony on any other very serious incident in which Smith was involved, sort of like a comparison from one situation to another.<<

You might find something from the Olympic vs. HMS Hawke incident. The transcripts of the investigation have got to be buried somewhere. There's also that near collision with the New York where his engine orders saved the day. He was certainly capable of acting decisively in a crunch.

Back