Thank you, Robert.
I know nothing about radios, but I know that the Titanic radio could have been switched to 1 MHz (300 meters). I assume they have never used this frequency?

Shipboard transmitters were confined to transmit only on certain wavelength such as 300 meters or 600 meters. Their receivers however could tune to many others. For example, the powerful transmitter at Cape Cod that Carpathia, Olympic and Birma were listening to get the nightly news broadcasts operated on 1500 meters, which was why Carpathia never heard Titanic's CQD until 10:35 NYT when she switched back onto the 600 meter wavelength. Cape Race transmitted on two wavelengths, 600 meters and 1600 meters. When communicating with ships, it used 600 meters.

We know Titanic's call letters were MGY. However, originally, it was to be MUC. I don't know the reason for the change.

AlexP -

I am not sure about the different wavelengths available in 1912 ?
Were 600 Meters and 300 Meters the only ones in use 1912 or were there others that were available and that their transmitters and receivers could be tuned to ?
Just a thought but maybe if they were having trouble in getting contacts on 600 Meters they could suggest " Let's try 300 Meters and see if we have any better luck ? "
I think 600 Meters had been picked because it was one of the best wavelengths for long distance communication ?
It is still or at least was always reserved for only emergency communications ?

Shipboard transmitters were confined to transmit only on certain wavelength such as 300 meters or 600 meters. Their receivers however could tune to many others. For example, the powerful transmitter at Cape Cod that Carpathia, Olympic and Birma were listening to get the nightly news broadcasts operated on 1500 meters, which was why Carpathia never heard Titanic's CQD until 10:35 NYT when she switched back onto the 600 meter wavelength. Cape Race transmitted on two wavelengths, 600 meters and 1600 meters. When communicating with ships, it used 600 meters.

We know Titanic's call letters were MGY. However, originally, it was to be MUC. I don't know the reason for the change.

Thanks Samuel -

I hadn't heard about 1500 Meters and 1600 Meters before.
Were they used just for the news broadcasts or also for two-way contacts ?
Were there other stations that could transmit and receive on 1500 and 1600 such as land stations ?
Also I had never heard about the switch from MUC to MGY.
Was 300 Meters the "shortest wavelength" in use in 1912 ?
Could ships communicate with each other on 300 Meters but Cape Race could not ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I wonder if any of radio operators complained about any problems with the signals on the night of the disaster? I know that Titanic had some difficulties in hearing the communications from Carpathia, but it was apparently due to the noise from the escaping steam. Was there anything else?

According to Cottam, he tried calling Parisian and received no response. He then went back onto the Cape Cod wavelength and took down 4 messages for Titanic that were being broadcasted. Then went back onto the standard shipping frequency and called Titanic to inform them about the messages he just picked up from Cape Cod. That is when they told him to come at once.

It still does not add up. I believe the first communication between Titanic and Carpathia after the collision was at 12:30. Mr. Cottam was listening to Cape Cod for 7-8 minutes, but before that he was on the right wavelength, and he heard nothing.

I wonder if any of radio operators complained about any problems with the signals on the night of the disaster? I know that Titanic had some difficulties in hearing the communications from Carpathia, but it was apparently due to the noise from the escaping steam. Was there anything else?
Have to check this out.....Someone probably knows the answer.
I believe it was either Phillips or Bride who complained about signals being "jammed" because there were so many other stations transmitting at the same time.
There were also some comments that Evans on the Californian had been one of the guilty operators of jamming on several occasions.
This was also a problem besides the noise from the escaping steam.

Mr. Cottam was listening to Cape Cod for 7-8 minutes, but before that he was on the right wavelength, and he heard nothing.
More than likely he was listening a little more than just 7 or 8 minutes. You cannot depend on simple subjective estimates of time, distance or for that matter, angle estimates.

Robert, there were several operators who complained of strong atmospherics (X's) that night. Baltic complained about being jammed by Birma and Californian while she was trying to communicate with Carpathia in the morning. Bride mentioned being jammed by Frankfurt I believe.

Interference from ionospheric disturbances, lightening discharges, or just about anything that creates unwanted energy in the electromagnetic spectrum. It's the type of random crackling sounds you hear in an AM radio that is tuned off channel.

Back