Titanics Engines

Does anybody know who designed the Titanic's Engines? What the make and model is? The same with the boilers. i would like to learn a lot about these. do you know of any good sites or books on them? Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Hi Christopher!

Here is some information you may find useful about the Titanic's engines and boilers.

The engines for the "Olympic Class" liners were designed by a team of engineers under the direction of Rt. Honorable Alexander Carlisle and built at the Harland & Wolff foundry shop in Belfast, Ireland.

These ships, Olympic, Titanic and Britannic, were fitted with two sets of main reciprocating steam engines. Each engine was of the four crank triple expansion type. The primary cylinder of each engine was 4.4 feet in diameter; the intermediate cylinder 7ft in diameter and each of the two low-pressure cylinders were 8.1 feet in diameter with a stroke of 6.3 ft. The balance of valves and cylinders starting forward was:

Two slide valves with two ports and a common chest were operated by two connecting rods with a crosshead and single links to the low-pressure cylinder. These were connected to the high-pressure cylinder, which contained a single piston valve, two slide valves and immediate and low-pressure cylinder. Finally, there were two further slide valves at the aft end of the engine. All the valves were controlled and run by the Stevenson motion method.

Each of the main engines crank and thrust shafts were machined by hand at Harland & Wolff and were of 2.3 inches in diameter, the immediate shafts were 2ft 2.5 inches in diameter and the tail shaft was 2ft 4.5 inches in diameter. The crank and cross shafts each had a 9 inch diameter aperture, and the immediate and tail shaft was increased to 12 inches. The tail shafts were fitted on loose couplings so that they could easily be withdrawn for repair through the stern.

The two sets of engines each drove two steel boss shafts to which bronze wing propellers of 23.6 feet in diameter and when subjected to the 15,000 hp from each of the engines, would then rotate at a maximum speed of 75 rpm

The exhaust steam from the main engines was used to drive the Parsons turbine used to drive the central solid magnesium-bronze 16.6 foot diameter central propeller. The Parsons engine was designed to take the exhaust steam at 9psi then expand it down to 1lb absolute using a steam condensing plant. The condensing plant was operated at a vacuum pressure of 2 ft 4.5 inches on a barometric pressure of 30 inches. The turbine itself operated with circulating water between 55-60 degrees F. This turned a a turbine rotor 12 feet in diameter consisting of forged steel blades assembled in fans and mounted to a rotor shaft. The blades on this rotor were between 1.6 feet and 2.1 feet in length and were segmented. The length of the cast iron rotor casing from the first to last ring of blades was 13.8 feet. The turbine was unable to reverse, so the central propeller was not in use while the vessel was being maneuvered. A Unique feature of the Parsons turbines fitted on the Olympic Class is that the turbine could be operated with electric power when steam was unavailable. An electric lifting gear on its own power supply was provided for lifting the massive turbine cover for servicing and repair. The turbine rotor alone was weighed in at 130 tons with the entire assembly weighing 420 tons. The rotor shaft was unusually large at 1 ft 8.5 inches, which resulted in a center propeller shaft of 1 ft 10.5 inches. When powered by the 16,000hp turbine engine the center propeller had a maximum speed of 165rpm.

Here is a simplified five-step description of how the process works:

1. Steam from the boilers, at 215psi, enters the small high pressure (HP) cylinder, moving the piston in the cylinder.

2. The steam exits the HP cylinder, and is routed to the next cylinder along, the slightly larger intermediate pressure (IP) cylinder, moving the piston in the cylinder.

3. The steam exits the IP cylinder, and is routed to the next cylinder along, the much larger low pressure (LP) cylinder, moving the piston in the cylinder.

4. The steam, at 9psi was then passed to the Parsons turbine that powered the center propeller.

5. The steam exits the turbine and is then passed to the condensers, where it is cooled, turning it back to water, ready to be passed to the boilers, where the whole process starts all over again.

To provide the huge amount of steam needed to run the massive engines, each vessel was fitted out with 29 boilers forged and assembled by Harland & Wolff, 24 of which were double ended, at each end of each boiler were three Morrison furnaces for a total of 159 furnaces in all. The 24 double ended boilers were 15.9 feet in diameter and were 20 feet in length. The remaining five were single ended and were 11.9 feet in diameter.

Engine Stats:

Weight: 1,000 tons
Height: 30 feet
HP Cylinder Bore: 54 inches
IP Cylinder Bore: 84 inches
LP Cylinder Bore: 97 inches
Stroke: 75.6 inches
Horsepower: 15,000

I hope this helps with your question
smile.gif

Best Regards,

Brian

Hi!

A quick glance, out of interest: 75 r.p.m. and 165 r.p.m. were *not* the maximum speeds. Those are the usual speeds expected in service, although in both cases the engines could do much better.

There were also further differences with Britannic.

Best,

Mark.

Hi Nicholas!

You asked: 'so what kind differenes did they do to the Britannic'

In terms of the engines, there were a number of changes and technical refinements. Britannic's propelling machinery was more powerful than her sisters', while her propellers were slightly different -- certainly in terms of diameter -- and the boilers' heating surface was enlarged. The main engines had piston valves fitted, instead of the slide valves with release rings seen on Olympic; and an additional bearing was installed in the centre of each reciprocating engine. I wrote an article back in 2002 for Michail Michailakis' website:

http://www.hospitalshipbritannic.com/rms_engines.htm

Best wishes,

Mark.

What is the width of the reciprocating engines engines does anybody know. Does anybody also know How many gallons of water each boiler holds and demensions on the condensing units.

Hi Chris,

Based on the height, and from photos I have seen of the engines at varying angles, I was estimate they were around 15-20 feet wide at their base.

Best Regards,

Brian

Hi Chris,

Based on the height, and from photos I have seen of the engines at varying angles and considering the LP cylinders were 8.1 ft in diameter, I would estimate they were around 12-15 feet wide at their base.

Best Regards,

Brian

Hi Chris,

I can't find any reference to how many gallons the boilers or condensers could handle, however here is a detailed description of their dimensions and operation:

All the boilers were 15 ft. 9 in. in diameter, the 24 double-ended boilers being 20 ft. long, and the single-ended 11 ft. 9 in. long. Each double-ended boiler had six, and each single-ended boiler three furnaces, with a total heating surface of 144,142 sq. ft. and a grate surface of 3,466 sq. ft. The boilers were constructed in accordance with the rules of the Board of Trade for a working pressure of 215 lb. per sq. in.

There were two main condensers, having a combined cooling surface of 50,550 square feet, designed to work under a vacuum of 28 ins. with cooling water at 60 F. The condensers were pear-shaped in section, and built of mild steel plates. Four centrifugal pumps were fitted for circulating water through the condensers. Each pump had suction and discharge pipes of 20 in. bore, and was driven by a compound engine. Besides the main sea suctions, two of the pumps had direct bilge suctions from the turbine room and the other two from the reciprocating engine room. The bilge suctions were 18 in. diameter. Four of Weir’s “Dual” air pumps were fitted, two to each condenser, and discharged to two feed-tanks placed in the turbine engine room.

Best Regards,

Brian

James, I have been transfering from orignal print outs of the engine rooms and the refrigeration system and the steam lines to the deck plans from this site that was made in microsoft paint and i am adding the extra detail. If you are able to wait I will be posting close ups of the plans from the aft turbine room bulkhead to the forward wall of the forward most boiler room.

James heres a link to the Tank Top its still a work in Progress and its not 100% accurate due to the template im using isnt exactly percise but it gives a good general idea of how the major refrigeration pipes run and the steam pipes after they come through the forward bulkhead of the Reciprocating Engine room down to where it gets to the Turbine Room (The Pinkish colored lines are the Refrigeration lines)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Rusty_S85/Titanic/TankTopResized.gif

The first side profile that I updated has more than the closeups, I havent had the chance to crop the updated version down yet.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Rusty_S85/Titanic/TitanicProfileUpdated2.gif

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Rusty_S85/Titanic/Titanic1of3.gif

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Rusty_S85/Titanic/Titanic2of3.gif

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Rusty_S85/Titanic/Titanic3of3.gif

(Now these I know I cant really copyrite these but I feel I can copyrite the profile plan cause I have made major changes from the Olympic side plan which includes changing the deck layout and adding the forward enclosed promenade deck and like before these are all Work In Progress that I work on when time permits and that I update with new findings.

Back