The engines

Those poor stokers...
happy.gif

What is "a pod type propulsion system". The Rolls Royce gas turbines used on large modern ships such as the Ark Royal are not set up in external "pods" - they are down in the engine rooms of the ships in line with the longitudinal axis of the vessels, the general arrangement being not too dissimilar to the Titanic's low pressure steam turbine. (I assumed that this is what Alyson was thinking about in her reference to Rolls Royce and the Titanic). External pod type propulsion is presumably used only on small vessels?

A pod propulsion system is when the propeller is mounted on a pod beneath the ship. From what I know about them (which is not much), they basically do away with the rudder. The Queen Mary 2 is fitted with four pods. The two rear most pods can be turned almost or completely 360 degrees.

That sounds more like a steering system. I was trying to draw a parallel between the steam turbine on the Titanic and the use of Rolls Royce gas turbines in the engine rooms of modern ships (on an aircraft, of course, those same engines would be enclosed in engine pods, which are normally attached to the wings).

>>What is "a pod type propulsion system". <<

You may be thinking of the Azipod systems. As you already figured out, the engines are not inside these things but electric motors which draw their power from the diesel electric system. The Azipods can be turned so not only do they move the ship, they can turn it as well. It's a very useful system when it works properly. Between the Azipods and the bow and stern thrusters, the ship can literally turn on a dime or get herself up to and away from docks without the use of tugs.

>>(I assumed that this is what Alyson was thinking about in her reference to Rolls Royce and the Titanic)<<

Yes.

I was wrong in saying the Titanic Engines were Rolls Royce but on the other hand-

There is one docomentry on Titanic's Engines and it stated at some point about Rolls Royce. So i know there is something to do with Titanic and Rolls Royce.

I was slightly confused by the earlier reference to the Queen Mary II because I thought this was propelled by diesel engines? I was trying to link the low pressure steam turbine on the Olympic class vessels to the present day use of gas turbines on the Invincible class carriers and other modern vessels such as the Sheffield class destroyers, Duke class frigates and Broadsword class frigates. These must work in much the same way as the Titanic's turbine engine, the rotary action of the turbines being linked to the propeller shafts, presumably by reduction gearing.

>>I was slightly confused by the earlier reference to the Queen Mary II because I thought this was propelled by diesel engines?<<

She is. What they do is generate electricity to power the motors in the pods. From What I've been able to make of the Titanic's turbine, she didn't have reduction gearing but was a direct drive.

Back