Arthur John Priest

I need to find out more about my great great uncle Arthur John Priest, my grandfather's uncle. [Yes the picture of him on this site has a striking resembalance to my Gramps] I trying to find out whether he ever lived in London? My grandfather's mother [Alice] is a lot younger than "Uncle John" [he was known to the family], I remember when I was younger that the family used to laugh about him as he was like Uncle Albert of "Only fools and horses" because every ship he goes on it sinks! My grandfather doesn't give out much information [He made my family tree hard to do on that side of the family] as there probably been some dispute in the family back then as his mother moved up north. He says she was born in London? so does that mean John might have lived in London for a short time? or did any naval training there... or he stayed behind in Southampton when the Priest family moved to London... I just need to find out correct information...

Hello Alison,what was your grandfathers name,Arthur John Priest is my grandfather, my dads dad, I do not not know if he ever lived in london,Arthur"s wife Annie came from liverpool she moved to Southampton before i was born where she is now buried. yours sincerely, Wendy.

I was looking for information on Arthur John Priest’s family. My grandfather was Harry Priest (Arthur’s father and brother was a Harry as well) and was married to a Frances McVeigh from Derry, Ireland. I’m not sure if there is a relation, I just figured I could ask.

Hey S Priest I'm currently working on a project to mark Arthur John Priest grave he is buried in Hollybrook Cemetery Southampton and we are trying to make contact with his relatives to let them aware of the project and we need to contact yourselves for permission to mark the grave as we believe the grave is privately owned and we also need to know more information about his final years as that information is some how lost to us please contact me at
[email protected]

Kindest Regards
Mr Jake Billingham

Hello Alison,what was your grandfathers name,Arthur John Priest is my grandfather, my dads dad, I do not not know if he ever lived in london,Arthur"s wife Annie came from liverpool she moved to Southampton before i was born where she is now buried. yours sincerely, Wendy.
hi arthur john priest wife Annie remarried to a bob polly , we used to call him uncle Bob when we went to visit they then lived in st Denys portswood Southampton . George married eliza jane callaghan and lived in stoke on trent Staffordshire , they went onto have three children michael robert peter, arthur thomas,wendy ann,john David,
Both George and eliza have sadly past away. Arthurs other son Frederick married beryl they went on to have two boys john and Anthony who still live around the Southampton area again beryl and fred past away . Annie past away around 1973/5 I think , Bob past away later I think hope this helps .

hi arthur john priest wife Annie remarried to a bob polly , we used to call him uncle Bob when we went to visit they then lived in st Denys portswood Southampton . George married eliza jane callaghan and lived in stoke on trent Staffordshire , they went onto have three children michael robert peter, arthur thomas,wendy ann,john David,
Both George and eliza have sadly past away. Arthurs other son Frederick married beryl they went on to have two boys john and Anthony who still live around the Southampton area again beryl and fred past away . Annie past away around 1973/5 I think , Bob past away later I think hope this helps .
Hi Wendy just to update you we have now put Arthur's Grave in ownership of a Jean Storey she is, Arthur's Great Niece and she has given us permission to put a headstone on his grave please contact me on 07860374394 or email me at [email protected]

Hi my name is Tony Priest my grandfather name was Harry priest he lived in Stourbridge Worcester shire died 1952?. Children Charles Doris Lizzie George.he was a chain maker.

Hello Wendy,

I am doing some research on your grandfather, Arthur John Priest. I am wondering if there is any information you have about him that is not on any websites. I have gone down the rabbit hole researching Arthur, what an incredible man he was. If you have any information regarding your family tree I would be very grateful if you could share it with me.

I am doing some research on your grandfather, Arthur John Priest.
Have you found any information or even clue about the actual lifeboat on which Arthur Priest was rescued? That remains a mystery; Craig Stringer believes that he might have been on Lifeboat #15 along with a few other firemen, but IMO that does not add up with the story of an injured leg and frostbitten toes. He certainly was not on Collapsible A but might he have been one of those standing on top of the overturned Collapsible B?

Also, is there a verifiable record in maritime history of any other person who survived 4 shipwrecks and an accident (Olympic/Hawke)?

Hi everyone. Jack priest (Arthur John Priest ) as I have always known him is my great grandfather. Frederick priest is my grandfather. My dad is his son John. Amazing to see distant relatives on here. My dad and grandad always told me stories about my great grandfather and how nobody wanted to sail with him after all the disasters he was in.

My dad and grandad always told me stories about my great grandfather and how nobody wanted to sail with him after all the disasters he was in.
That's interesting. Did they say if your GGF ever talked about his Titanic survival, especially the lifeboat on which he was rescued?

Back