2006 History Channel Britannic expedition

>>We even may send a diver right down through the #4 funnel into the turbine room, if all goes well.<<

As I hope it does. I think it goes without saying that caution is the watchword, but the team you're with knows what it's doing. I just don't want to see anybody's name from the expedition show up in the Obituary column. David Bright was one too many in that catagory.

>>For now, I've had a lot of uzo and now need to stagger into bed. <<

Sounds like you earned the right to nip on a bit of firewater.

Today's dive was cancelled due to high winds. We're going to try again tomorrow. We're going to have multiple teams covering the bow section, with some very deep penetration (the kind that makes one really nervous) planned. John Chatterton and Richie Kohler are saving the most risky penetration for themselves. If tomorrow goes as planned, everything else will be downhill from there.

I did venture into some uzo last night, and I drank it as the Greeks do...on the rocks with no water added. It was like Mojo in the PI...tastes like a harmless, sweet drink with no apparent effect until you stand up to leave.

I asked about David Bright last night during dinner. According to the divers around the table, it wasn't the Doria that killed David, but rather diver error. His death was a warning to everyone who will be going into the water tomorrow.

Parks

What a horrible experience, Parks. Glad to hear you're okay, but hopefully that guy will be caught.

We even may send a diver right down through the #4 funnel into the turbine room, if all goes well.

Hopefully the results that arise out of it are very good.

Are there any plans to venture into passenger/hospital areas, or do you all feel that these have been adequately covered in past expeditions?

I am sorry also to hear about your misfortune while in Athens. Hopefully someone will nail the guy.

Take good care and thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.

Hi Parks, and "Greetings From Toronto" (I'll be here through Monday).

Thanks for the posts; it looks like this will be a great expedition, and a spectacular documentary.

I, too, hope that the devious cab driver will be caught.

Regarding the UZO: I think you'll feel a lot of empathy when you, again, watch the dinner party scene in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", and watch Bruce Gray and Fiona Reed (I think that's their names; they played John Corbett's parents), after they first try UZO.

>>It was like Mojo in the PI...tastes like a harmless, sweet drink with no apparent effect until you stand up to leave.<<

I can relate! It's one of the reasons I learned to avoid the stuff. My own interests and goals were best served by being able to stand up straight!

>>Today's dive was cancelled due to high winds. We're going to try again tomorrow.<<

Hay, better safe then sorry. I can understand your reservations about the bow penetration. That's the part that's in the worst shape.

High winds have cancelled our dive today, but we had a fairly good diving day yesterday (Saturday). John and Richie were making the highest priority dive into the boiler rooms and Carl Spencer and his Italian partner Eduardo went for the Marconi rooms. I spent the day aboard the Apollon, acting as a deckhand and to get information firsthand after the divers surfaced.

John Chatterton and Richie Kohler have been successful in penetrating the boiler rooms. The details of this will form a big part of the show.

Big Mike looked for the builder's plaque, but even though he found what appears to be a separate rectangular steel plate raised up from the bulkhead in that location, there is an even layer of marine growth that shows no evidence of either the brass plaque or teak base plate. The undisturbed condition of the area suggests that the plaque may never have been installed. His examination of the crow's nest came up empty, artefacts such as the telephone are gone.

Carl Spencer's exploration of the Marconi rooms was thwarted by a solid steel bulkhead that runs the width of the Officers' Quarters deckhouse around the aft gantry davit well, effectively cutting the deckhouse into two separate halves. They did, however, verify that the walls of the fore-and-aft corridor are intact (with doorways to each of the officer's rooms) and the floor tiles in the corridor are of the same type as found in the wheelhouse (red-and-white fluted cross pattern). The port-side door leads into the fore part of the OQ deckhouse...in order to access the Marconi rooms, Carl will have to try again using the starboard-side door, which is aft of the bulkhead. The bulkhead itself is a mystery...it does not show on the set of original H&W plans that Simon brought with him (nor does the observed location of the port-side door) and doesn't make apparent sense, since it divides the officer accommodation. Maybe doors were intended to be cut into the bulkhead at a later date? We don't know.

Overall, the overcast day translated into less ambient light down on the wreck. The divers remarked on how dark and moody the wreck seemed.

We had Souvlaki kibabs and drinks at the Britannic Bar last night. It was bittersweet because the bar will be shut down for good by the end of this season. The owner gave us T-shirts and I was given a canvas chair back strap with the bar's name and logo silk-screened on the back.

Since we're not diving today, we will be shooting a recreation of Violet Jessup's encounter with the port propellor in the harbour today. The weather is forecast to be suitable for diving for the rest of our time here, so we hope to catch up to where we left off on the morrow.

Parks

By the way, I had another Greek drink last night that was even more potent than uzo. I can't remember the name now, though, or much of anything else after I threw the drink down my throat.

Parks

A couple more thoughts...the Britannic wreck has not lost much (if any) of her atwartships rigidity even after lying on her side for 90 years. The Andrea Doria, only half as old as Britannic, is already collapsing upon herself. I mention this as a counter-point to those who speculate about the relative fragility of the hull structure of the Olympics. Yes, Britannic's hull structure was made more rigid than Titanic's, but when viewed in the context of 90 years' worth of decay, the differences between the two ships are not that great. My opinion is that both wrecks attest to the amount of rigidity of their hull design.

A thought about the Gigantic-Britannic controversy. The name Gigantic may have been considered early on (and that point can be argued endlessly), but Simon Mills has enough evidence to prove that by the time the keel to Hull 433 was laid, the name was officially Britannic. Since Britannic's keel was laid months before Titanic sank, then the assumption that Gigantic's name was changed in the wake of the Titanic disaster just doesn't hold water.

Parks

Thanks for keeping us all informed Parks. Real exciting stuff. Hopefully some good pictures can come back of the engine rooms as well as the boiler rooms. There is just so much we learn from just studying the plans, especially about the locations of things like telegraphs and other controls down below. Sorry to hear about that unfortunate incident with the cab driver, but that drink you just mentioned should help put all that behind.

Thanks for your informative update, Parks. Let’s hope the weather improves next time.

Carl Spencer's exploration of the Marconi rooms was thwarted by a solid steel bulkhead that runs the width of the Officers' Quarters deckhouse around the aft gantry davit well, effectively cutting the deckhouse into two separate halves…The port-side door leads into the fore part of the OQ deckhouse...in order to access the Marconi rooms, Carl will have to try again using the starboard-side door, which is aft of the bulkhead.

This seems very interesting, in light of the exploration of 2003. As a matter of clarification, is this bulkhead *directly* located at the after gantry davit well (around frame 55 forward)? I ask because the H&W builder’s plans appear to show an exterior door outline (if a little faint) on the port side almost directly under the after davit, next to the pilot’s cabin; then, moving aft, there’s the fifth officer’s cabin and a more distinct exterior door. On the starboard side, I can see an exterior door forward of the third officer’s cabin which leads into the corridor and then you would come to the bedroom/wireless room/silent room suite.

To confuse matters, the Engineering plans show some differences in this area (for instance, showing two two-berth first class staterooms in the aft starboard corner of the officer’s quarters). However, what I do find particularly interesting is that none of the plans I recall seeing even show a door dividing the corridors at this point — nothing even remotely matching this bulkhead. I realise I shouldn’t bombard you with questions…these were just a few observations that came to mind, for whatever they might be worth. I’m sure they have been considered in any case.

The bulkhead itself is a mystery...it does not show on the set of original H&W plans that Simon brought with him (nor does the observed location of the port-side door) and doesn't make apparent sense, since it divides the officer accommodation. Maybe doors were intended to be cut into the bulkhead at a later date? We don't know.

It seems valuable that you are uncovering this sort of information, even if it does add to the ship’s mysteries. The Engineering plans don’t show a port side exterior door at all. The speculation about cutting doors into the bulkhead is interesting, in light of the fact that Britannic had been out of service in summer 1916 and there may have been chance to do it then. Maybe some modifications were made then based on in-service experience? Just something to throw into the mix.

The name Gigantic may have been considered early on (and that point can be argued endlessly), but Simon Mills has enough evidence to prove that by the time the keel to Hull 433 was laid, the name was officially Britannic. Since Britannic's keel was laid months before Titanic sank, then the assumption that Gigantic's name was changed in the wake of the Titanic disaster just doesn't hold water.

I would certainly argue that the name Gigantic was considered (at a bare minimum); and yes, I tend to agree that the view that the name was changed just after the Titanic disaster appears discredited. However, the topic did come up in private discussion about eighteen months ago and I did not find some of Simon’s arguments entirely convincing. I am aware that he has done a great deal of research in this area, and it may be that he has since found something that was not available at the time of this discussion, but I think I am right in saying that I was not alone in viewing the information differently to Simon. It was a respectful disagreement on both sides, yet I am not sure it can be said so definitely unless further details have come to light.

the Britannic wreck has not lost much (if any) of her atwartships rigidity even after lying on her side for 90 years. The Andrea Doria, only half as old as Britannic, is already collapsing upon herself. I mention this as a counter-point to those who speculate about the relative fragility of the hull structure of the Olympics.

Aside from the strain imposed by lying on her side, when Britannic was designed to float upright, what I find particularly interesting is not merely the hull structure proper, but the condition of the superstructure. I believe there were some features of the deckhouse construction (in terms of strengthening) which were unusual for the time, and would have helped ensure that the superstructure did not disintegrate (as seen on Lusitania, for instance).

Best wishes,

Mark.

>>Maybe doors were intended to be cut into the bulkhead at a later date? We don't know.<<

An interesting find, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if you turn out to be right about that. The Britannic's fitting out as a liner was never really complete, and for wartime service, I'm sure that they did the minimum necessery to make her fit for service with anything else being relegated to a low priority.

>>By the way, I had another Greek drink last night that was even more potent than uzo. I can't remember the name now, though, or much of anything else after I threw the drink down my throat.<<

Okaaaaaaayyyyyy...I guess MOJO is just going to have to stand aside for something with more punch to it.
wink.gif

Providing that doing so wouldn't run afoul of any non-disclosure agreements, I would look forward to seeing any photos, particularly of the boiler rooms and their fittings. I take it the boilers are still in place.

Not much time to post, so this will be brief. A very full dive day today. Much good footage of the wreck. Leigh Bishop completed a marathon dive...50 minutes at 400 feet, filming the entirety of the bow (including the break). Kudos to him for that effort...it meant over 6 hours of decompression time for him. Stained glass windows (upper quadrant) in windows along B-deck promenade, intact wood furniture seen in many windows. Most portholes open. Bulkhead on B-deck promenade forward, which does not appear on H&W plans but does show up in Engineering. Some other stuff that I can't talk about.

I expected the starboard boiler in BR#6 to be pushed upward...it hasn't budged an inch, meaning the boiler pass-thru on both sides of the ship are clear for divers. The ship has not yet begun settling into the ocean floor.

More tomorrow (if I'm lucky),
Parks

Hi Parks,

Although I didn't have the time to post a reply earlier, I was watching this thread with great interest.

I was very sorry to read about the incident with the taxi driver. I was quite surprised, to be honest. Athens taxi drivers are infamous for their manners (this is valid with local passengers too) but what you experienced is very uncommon even for their low standards. I sincerely hope that this won't be your last impression of Athens.

Unfortunately, I could not come to Kea this weekend but I was very happy to see that you will join the team that will film at Pireaus this Thursday. I already had the pleasure to meet Jonathan and Bob two weeks ago and I certainly look forward to meet you in person. Please forward my greetings to Simon.

Best regards,
Michail

Back