Goodwins seen on deck?

i think i can remember reading somewhere that the goodwin family were seen on deck when the boats were being loaded, can anyone verify this or have i got them mixed up with another family?
thanks

Hi Mary,

Personally speaking, I have never come across any survivor account in which the Goodwins were observed on the boat deck during the lowering of the boats. My suspicion is that the family you refer to were the Sages of Peterborough, who apparently did make it to the boat deck as young William's body was later recovered. One account, of questionable veracity if I recall, has Stella Sage actually entering a boat before stepping out again when the rest of her family were barred from joining her.

The Goodwins are a different story. I don't believe their movements were recoreded at all during Titanic's final moments and my theory is that they never made it to the boat deck.

Best Regards,
Ben

Another possibility of the family seen on the deck are the Anderson/Danbom families. According to the bio for Anna Nysten, who was accompanying the families, she reported seeing them on deck before she made her escape.

Per the Goodwins, I too remember reading only that there no recorded accounts of their actions during the sinking.

Hi Mary, I think you have read that information in the Mammouth Book of the Titanic, it was Bertha Mulvihill's account. She remembered seeing a mother clinging to her 6 children and husband, and would not enter a lifeboat, because her husband Charles Frederick could not go, and the result was that all 8 of them perished. At least Augusta could of placed the 6 children in the boat, Lillian was old enough to look after them, plus Frederick had a brother already living in New York.

Christa, I've read in some of the earlier threads (and in Women & Children First)that the Goodwin children-William and Harold met up with 6 other youngsters and had a marvellous time hanging from baggage cranes, and exploring the ship.

Hope this helps, Laura
happy.gif

Frederick Joseph Goodwin was my grandmother's brother. In some manifest listings, he was listed as Charles Frederick or Frederick Godwin; however, those listings are erroneous.

As I mentioned on another message board a 1st class survivor invited my grandmother and greataunt to come to New York. She told them that she saw the Goodwin family as she was entering the lifeboat, "The mother would not leave her husband and the children would not leave their mother."

However, I have seen no other documentation supporting this. (I think I have identified the widow surviving, again no documentation.)

Where could I find Bertha Mulvihill's account?

Carol Goodwin Goroff

Hi Carol! How are you doing? As Lauro mentioned earlier, Bertha Mulvihill did indeed mention seeing a mother and her children on the deck as the ship sank. The family was from steerage, but was the Rice family, not the Goodwins.

The newspaper article which I believe is the one in question, was published in The Providence Journal, April 20, 1912. This article misquotes Bertha Mulvihill as saying (off the top of my head, sometimes a dangerous proposition!) that she saw Mrs. Rice and her husband and children and that Mrs. Rice stayed behind because her husband was held back by an officer. Bertha Mulvihill did indeed say that she saw the Rice family on the deck before she left the ship and mentioned this in press accounts, to family and friends, but the part about the husband is almost certainly an invention of the press (as is the part of the article which among other things, inaccurately quotes her as saying that she saw Captain Smith brandishing a revolver, and that she heard 'Nearer My God To Thee' as the ship sank, statements that she denied making to her family).

Mrs. Rice’s husband had been killed in an accident well before the Titanic’s maiden voyage and was never aboard the ship. Bertha would have been well aware of this and was able to identify them, as she was acquaintances with Margaret Rice, who was also originally from Athlone, Ireland. Margaret, in a letter written to friends in Washington prior to the maiden voyage, mentions that she was going to be traveling to America with Eugene Daly and Bertha Mulvihill. The Rice family (Margaret and her five sons Albert, Arthur, Eric, Eugene, and George) was traveling to Spokane, Washington. All of them perished.

I hope that this answers your questions. More information about Bertha Mulvihill and the Rice family is given in an article that I wrote about Bertha which was just published in the Titanic Commutator. I would be more than happy to get you a copy of the 1912 Mulvihill press account in question somehow if you can't find it elsewhere. Hope this letter finds you well.
Kindest regards,
Tad Fitch

i felt bad for the Goodwin's. not one member of that large family was able to survive. they were trapped inside the third class cabins because of the gates that were locked.

Always thank God, and be Faithful to Him.

Lester,

Thank you for helping to keep the Goodwin record accurate. Yes, Fredrick was my great-uncle and Augusta was my great-aunt. They were first cousins, so my grandmother knew her as they all were growing up.
Carol

Hello Samuel,

Welcome aboard this message site. Why were you so surprised? I have been hoping to find other relatives descendants of the Goodwin/Tyler couple who are still living with memories. No response yet.
Carol

Hi Carol,
It's nice to have you on the board.

Just to clarify - do you mean Frederick and Augusta were first cousins to each other? I had never heard that before.

Regards...

Back