Famous titanic places and memorials

S Brooke

Hello all,

I’m new to the community and wanted to introduce myself and get to know everyone and hopefully make friends that share the same interest as me which is the Titanic and the history of not only the ship but the passengers as well. I’ve had such a huge interest since I was 10 years old and I love finding new facts about the Titanic as time goes on.
With that being said I wanted to ask if anyone has been to any memorials, museums, graves, homes or areas where some of the passengers were from or any historical areas that had to do with the Titanic. Would love to hear stories and pictures of everyone’s travels!

S

Hello all,

I’m new to the community and wanted to introduce myself and get to know everyone and hopefully make friends that share the same interest as me which is the Titanic and the history of not only the ship but the passengers as well. I’ve had such a huge interest since I was 10 years old and I love finding new facts about the Titanic as time goes on.
With that being said I wanted to ask if anyone has been to any memorials, museums, graves, homes or areas where some of the passengers were from or any historical areas that had to do with the Titanic. Would love to hear stories and pictures of everyone’s travels!

S
Nice to meet you and Welcome.
This is a great discussion forum.
I just completed a 10 day cruise of the British Isles: Southampton, Liverpool, Belfast, Queenstown, Scottland, Wales.
I saw just about every Titanic related site that you can imagine.
It was the trip of a lifetime for me.
I posted hundreds of images on my Facebook page.
To many to repost again....
If you would like to see them, they can be found here:

In the land down under, we have some Titanic connections. I have been to the birthplace of Australian survivor, Evelyn Marsden and other places connected with her. She was born at Stockyard Creek, a railway siding that now amounts to nothing. I've even stayed in the hospital where she briefly learned nursing.

I've been to the Titanic memorial bandstand in Ballarat. There was another bandstand in Kadina, but I think it's now gone. I've never looked for it.

In the outback city of Broken Hill, I've been to the Titanic memorial column, erected by the bandsmen of the city. On one side, it has engraved the opening notes of the American tune of Nearer My God to Thee.

Yes Welcome Brook. If you look at Williams pics he has it pretty well covered for the pics I have also from Belfast and Southampton. Only pics I have I didn't see on his page were pics of the memorials from NYC and Washington D.C. But I might of missed them. I would have to dig thru my CD's to find them so I'll just borrow the pics from the net.
William...I liked that pic of your dog buried in the leaves. Cool pic.
70887314_ehtUh6phMWFwW5iuwwGf_zvLoPyama5-EFscjf7neGc.jpg
Titanic-Memorial-South-Street-Seaport.jpg

Thank you both for the pictures. I have a trip planned next summer to London and Belfast. I can’t wait to see all of the sights and memorials. Any locations you think I should check out, feel free to share.

I’m new to the community and wanted to introduce myself and get to know everyone and hopefully make friends that share the same interest as me which is the Titanic and the history of not only the ship but the passengers as well.
Welcome to ET and the forums S Brooke. I hope that you like it here and enjoy the various aspects of ET. You'll find loads of information within the site itself covering all aspects of the Titanic, including its anatomy, ill-fated maiden voyage and the aftermath of the disaster; then there are several original research articles by experts. And of course, there are these forums to ask questions and discuss your views with the rest of us.

I wanted to ask if anyone has been to any memorials, museums, graves, homes or areas where some of the passengers were from or any historical areas that had to do with the Titanic
Living in the UK, I have been to the Southampton Docks of course - where the Titanic sailed from. I have visited the Titanic related memorial sites in the city. Visiting museums and other displays featuring recovered Titanic artefacts is not really my thing but I confess that earlier this year I went to the exhibition at the Luxor in Las Vegas. It was good.

It doesn't come within the areas asked by you but between the late 1980s and middle 1990s I communicated extensively with Mrs Mary McKee, the daughter of Titanic survivor John Collins, the young scullion on board. It was part of my research into the circumstances of his survival.

In the early 1990s, I met 3 Titanic survivors during the annual gathering of the British Titanic Society. They were Edith Haisman (nee Brown), Eva Hart and Millvina Dean.

Thank you so much. I think that is amazing you met a few of the survivors. It makes me emotional watching their interviews, I couldn’t imagine what it would be like meeting them in person. How wonderful!

Hello all,

S
I mention this now and again. I'm laying in bed and I can see the famous "J Dawson" grave and many other of Titanic's unfortunates across the way at Fairview Lawn Cemetery here in Halifax. It's cold and damp right now. The perfect time for a cemetery visit.

Yes I agree, it’s the perfect weather. I can’t wait to visit there. It’s definitely on my list!

If you click on my name you can see a few pics I posted. If you are ever in town I'll show you around. The victims of the Halifax Explosion are also resting in the same cemetery. Another subject you may be interested in if you have not heard of it already.

Hello all,

S
I live in Belfast where, of course there are many memorials to the Titanic from the huge, fairly new Titanic Building next to the site of the building dock itself down to plaques inserted into the pavements of streets associated with people involved. There is one at the corner of my street, Sandford Avenue, for this was where Roderick Chisholm of the Guarantee Group live, at number 6 in 1911 and in my house, number 6, in 1901. The house dates from 1900 and Chisholm must have looked out of the window I am looking out of now.
Stephen Royle

I live in Belfast where, of course there are many memorials to the Titanic from the huge, fairly new Titanic Building next to the site of the building dock itself down to plaques inserted into the pavements of streets associated with people involved. There is one at the corner of my street, Sandford Avenue, for this was where Roderick Chisholm of the Guarantee Group live, at number 6 in 1911 and in my house, number 6, in 1901. The house dates from 1900 and Chisholm must have looked out of the window I am looking out of now.
Stephen Royle

That's rather surreal. Nice story.

Back