jktress

I'm fascinated by images of Titanic's nameplates, which seem to be slowly vanishing underneath rusticles at the wreck site. I read somewhere that the nameplates on the bow are no longer visible, yet upon closer inspection of the recent high resolution NatGeo images, I found what appears to be the letter C on the starboard bow. It's definitely in the correct position. What do you think?

lettering.jpg
lettering2.jpg

Furthermore I read on this forum that James Cameron might have spotted the nameplate and the port of registry on the stern while filming his IMAX movie. Is there any available footage from this expedition, or a still photo of high enough resolution to spot a few letters on the stern? Thanks!

lettering.jpg

lettering2.jpg

It certainly looks like it could be the right position. Too bad there aren't any other letters visable though. It'll make the Olympic/Titanic switch debate flair up again.

Agh, I didn't even think about that! I had hoped that was conclusively laid to rest by now. I guess there will always be conspiracy theorists. My interest is purely an aesthetic one.

This one might be a bit of a stretch, but again I'd love to hear some expert feedback. This is the best image of the stern I could find. Zoomed in, it seems possible the 'T' could be visible. It's really difficult to tell and I'm unable to find any landmarks to see if placement is correct.

lettering3.jpg

lettering3.jpg

I'm no expert, but those images do appear to be both a "C" and a "T". The "T" is rather hard to make out, but is visible. :)

Agh, I didn't even think about that! I had hoped that was conclusively laid to rest by now. I guess there will always be conspiracy theorists. My interest is purely an aesthetic one.

It's cool. I'm of the opinion that they weren't switched. If it was, it'd been brought to light by now. No one could keep a secret like that for 100 years. Too many people involved would be tempted to talk.

Were they ever visible? I remember a lot of dead links promising to pictures of one to even all three nameplates at the old forum.

Hey Brad, yes they seem to have been clearly visible, and recently as well. Check out this photo from the port side of the bow. If you want to see a video of the revealing of the lettering, check out the link from rmstitanicinc.net below. Then click on 'Photos and Video' on the left of the screen. you'll get two separate videos of the nameplate.

Expedition Titanic | Return to the Deep

>>It'll make the Olympic/Titanic switch debate flair up again.<<

Only among those who don't pay attention to the mountain of disconfirming evidence which Bruce Beveridge and Steve Hall compiled in the latest edition of the book they wrote on the subject. They documented literally hundreds of differences between the two ships just from the surviving photos which show conclusively past any point of debate that the shattered wreckage on the bottom of the North Atlantic is the Titanic.

Oh, just a small point but an important one, niether Olympic nor Titanic had name plates. The names of the ships were incised into the hull plating.

Only among those who don't pay attention to the mountain of disconfirming evidence which Bruce Beveridge and Steve Hall compiled in the latest edition of the book they wrote on the subject. They documented literally hundreds of differences between the two ships just from the surviving photos which show conclusively past any point of debate that the shattered wreckage on the bottom of the North Atlantic is the Titanic.

Oh, just a small point but an important one, niether Olympic nor Titanic had name plates. The names of the ships were incised into the hull plating.

good point, although I always seem to call them 'nameplates' for lack of a better word. Lettering, maybe?

This debate has been going on, on the yahoo news article from the other night pertaining to Ballard. This guy is claiming the footage makes out a Y and a M on the name plate and claiming that the Titanic letters were riveted atop Olympic's.

I just dont see how this keeps goin on and on even though the strong evidence that it didnt happen.

On a side note I have to say I would like to get some high resolution images of the name plate on the bow. I think I got a hazy one showing the name plate on the stern as well as part of Liverpool.

This debate has been going on, on the yahoo news article from the other night pertaining to Ballard. This guy is claiming the footage makes out a Y and a M on the name plate and claiming that the Titanic letters were riveted atop Olympic's.

I just dont see how this keeps goin on and on even though the strong evidence that it didnt happen.

On a side note I have to say I would like to get some high resolution images of the name plate on the bow. I think I got a hazy one showing the name plate on the stern as well as part of Liverpool.

Hey Rusty, if you dig that photo up, could I have a look? I've been searching for a long time and have come up empty handed!

Hey Rusty, if you dig that photo up, could I have a look? I've been searching for a long time and have come up empty handed!

I will take a look on my external hard drive. I know its in there but got 650 GB worth of photos to sift through. If I come across them I will upload them to photobucket and link them here.

The fatal flaws in the whole conspiracy theory are so numerous that it would be hard to list them all, but the very essence of it is insurance fraud, and that's the show stopper right there. The Titanic was only insured for 1million pounds sterling of her 1.5million pounds sterling value. The remaining 500,000 was covered by White Star's own in house insurance fund at a time when inflation had not turned all that into chump change.

The conspiracy theorists would have us believe that White Star would contrive a fraud where it would rook itself out of 500,000 pounds sterling.

They were NOT that stupid!

Back