Back in 2005, I wrote to David Bright, who was the president of the Nautical Research Group. I asked him specifically about Titanic's nameplates and whether they were still visible. His reply is below. Sadly, David succumbed to decompression sickness in 2006 while diving the SS Andrea Doria wreck. He was 49. The colleague he mentioned below, Titanic diver Ralph White, passed away in 2008 at the age of 66.

David's reply to me in 2005:

"As for the lettering on the nameplate question on the Titanic - the rusticle formation is so dense in the areas of the nameplates, it has obscured the visible letters on both the bow and stern. Since my immediate study deals with the microbial decay of the ship, I can tell you that I have extensively filmed all areas where the nameplate is and the growth is too thick to see the names. Since we were not touching the ship, there was no efforts on our part to "brush" off the rusticles to thoroughly look for the nameplate-but I am absolutely convinced that the complete nameplate is there underneath this massive growth.

"The reason why I believe that the nameplates are there is because a friend and fellow Titanic diver, Ralph White, who has over 30 dives down to Titanic, did brush off the nameplate area in the late 1980's and photographed several of the letters. While out on Titanic this summer, Ralph showed me his pictures and the letters were very clear and legible after his mild scrubbing of the rusticles. I hope that this answers your question."

David A. Bright
President

Nautical Research Group, Inc."

mcteegee: This was posted in #51 of this thread by Ioannis Georgiou.

Attachments

• IMG_4426.jpeg
    IMG_4426.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 81
I had missed that picture before. The "T" is clearly seen and there is no such letter in "Olympic" or Liverpool".

Yet another nail in the coffin for the conspiracy theorists.
There will never be enough nails. Like Samuel H. said about the 401 on the prop in the scans thread. They will always come up with something.

The process that H&W used was to incise the outline of each letter as a limit to paint up to. The process is explained in this article: http://www.titanic-cad-plans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Titanic-Name.pdf
Interesting document; thanks for sharing, Bob!

"Name plate" is an unfortunate misnomer whose utterance even extended to those who'd dived many times to the site of the wreck. I'm sure David Bright and Ralph White were quite aware it had been engraved into the shell plating, yet still used "name plate" in casual conversation and email correspondence. ;) I wonder, is there another, more "official" or acceptable term among seafarers that describes this engraved area of the ship other than, "name plate?"

When I visited the SS Nomadic, it was quite clear even after the recent paint job that the name is engraved into the shell plating. Very interesting process.

Just to clearify something: Titanic did not have a nameplate. That notion is the sort of thing being trotted out by ship switch conspiracy theorists. The names were engraved in the plates.
Yes Sir, of course. I think people used the term 'nameplate' colloquially just to make a point.

They will always come up with something.
Like suggesting the letter "T" on those photos might be part of a "TOILET" sign? :D:D

Maybe we should use the terms “painted vessel name on the hull” or “painted port of registry on the hull”. This would distinguish them from actual nameplates on the wooden lifeboats.

Back