Article in Historical Journal of Film Radio and TV

An interesting article by one of the very few professional academics to write about the Titanic affair. It's very typical of his work. Howells's main concern is the place Titanic holds in popular culture and in The Myth of the Titanic he examines the way in which the myth (in the proper sense of the word) came to be. As in the article, he occasionally gets minor details wrong, as he sometimes relies on the work of careless authors. However, rivet counting is not his concern and his book can be recommended. It's American counterpart is Steven Biel's Down With the Old Canoe.

This is an extraordinary study of the two films and thanks to Mary Lynn for posting the link.

A bit of trivia: Rene Harris was likely to have been a technical consultant on the Hitchcock-Selznick film on Titanic that never happened. She had been recommended by several key industry people and was in correspondence with Selznick at the time that the decision was made to scrap the deal.

Too bad the project never got off the ground. It would have been quite something.

Shelley - great Silver Screen website! I enjoyed it very much. IF you get a chance, I would appreciate the Charles Barr paper, but please don't go out of your way. I've read some exerpts from Biel's book..not many, but enough to demonstrate that it is definitely from an American point of view (suffragettes, racial issues, etc.)! Was Rene Harris ever able to keep the theatrical business intact after her husband's death? It would have been a real treat to see a Hitchcock version of "Titanic", especially in 1939! I just watched the ANTR commentary by Lynch and Marschall, as well as the MacWhitty and Lord filming of the movie - truly fascinating! I can't believe how much I don't know....well, actually, I can! Thanks once more for all of the good information from the Board members!

Hi, Mary. For MacWhitty read MacQuitty - I've mispelt that one myself on a few occasions!

Renee Harris not only kept the business going (after first paying off the debts her husband had incurred) but reached dizzy heights of success as the first woman producer in American theatre. And among her 'discoveries' was Barbara Stanwyck, who developed her own Titanic connection in the 1953 movie. I'm sure there are more detailed replies on the way!

I can't believe I misspelled that! (I must have been in a senior phonetic moment.) I didn't do "Rene" much justice, either! What was the name of the company she and her husband owned? Did the fact that she "discovered" Barbara Stanwyck play any part in casting her as Mrs. Sturges in the 1953 "Titanic"? Was Mrs. Harris a consultant in that film...as innacurate as it was? I also read somewhere that she had gotten re-married several times. Thanks, Bob

I don't know that Renee had a corporate name, but she certainly had a second husband - and a third - and a fourth. Barbara Stanwyck was a big star in her own right by the 1950s and didn't need anybody to pull strings on her behalf, but Renee did become a good friend of Walter Lord and teased him that a better title for ANTR would have been 'A Night to Forget'! On the occasion when she watched the film she could not remain to the end of a production that she found all too real and too distressing.

Geez - and I only had one! Thanks for the laugh, Bob! ANTF..starring...me! My burning question has always been, though: Did Cameron borrow the "big hat with big bow" worn by Sylvia Lightoller in the train scene in ANTR for Rose's first scene in Titanic '97? That hat could have held all my earthly possessions!

The big hat scene reminded me rather of Audrey Hepburn in the Ascot racing sequence from My Fair Lady! You're obviously better off than me, Mary. All my earthly possessions would fit into Cal's hat.

Mary,

Rene Harris spelled her name "Renee" with double "e" only in her later years (although the press often got it wrong anyway). Personal documents bear out that she preferred the single "e" or Americanized spelling of her name until the 1940s.

As to Rene's company name after her husband's death, she did operate under the aegis of "The Estate of Henry B. Harris" until she had found her "voice," so to speak, which didn't take long. She also had interest in other production companies.

It's true that she was left to sort out the affairs of her husband who was declared insolvent and she also had to fight his estate for creative control of the business.

Rene Harris' career was indeed an extraordinary one. She was among the first female theatrical producers in America but may not have been the first. She has a contender for the distinction in Elisabeth Marbury. Rene was, however, the most successful of her time.

Her talent as a producer was evident more in her ability to spot and develop individual talent than in her vision in play selection. Apart from Barbara Stanwyk, she discovered Mae West, Dame Judith Anderson and, perhaps her greatest "find," the Pulitzer Prize winning Moss Hart.

As to her impressions of Barbara Stanwyk as a movie star, they were very dim. This is probably colored by the fact that a resentment arose between the two following Stanwyk's move from Broadway to Hollywood. According to Rene, Barbara "forgot" all about her and never credited her initial fame to the plays she appeared in while under Rene's management. Rene, by the way, did not care for the 1953 film "Titanic," the premier for which she attended in New York.

As to her relationship with Walter Lord, according to friends (and several existing letters), Rene actually never fully read "A Night to Remember" until the last years of her life. She also was not well enough (owing to a leg injury) to attend a special preview in New York of the MacQuitty film based on Lord's book. She did admit to watching a little of the movie on it's network TV premier in 1969. She said it upset her too much owing to its realism and she turned off the set.

Rene is the subject of an article I'm writing for the ADB and ET. I thought I knew a lot on my own but quickly realized how much more there was to learn about this extraordinary woman when researchers like George and Don shared their troves. I have to thank Phil G and Inger, too, for helping me with this project.

Randy

Well, you certainly know much more than I do about Rene/e Harris, Randy! I'd seen her name in print as "Rene", but attributed it as a "typo", assuming that "Rene" was masculine, and "Renee" was feminine - the versions that we know today. I know that she died in 1969, was married four times, and was a successful theatrical agent, but not much else. Congratulations to you for your upcoming article, and please share it with us when you can! It sounds like you've had some excellent resources for your project, too! Best of luck, Randy, and thanks so very much for your reply!

I must take leave with regret, because I need to tape Patricia Neal saying "Klaatu barrada nikto" in one of the worst movies ever...which is why it's a classic. (Look at the robot's "metal" suit carefully, and you can see a zipper and definite spongy elbow creases!)

Ayup Mary - Randy's your man when it comes to Rene Harris! She's certainly an intriguing figure, and I'm looking forward to Randy publishing his research on her. Her own story touches that of Harold Lowe, who seems to have been quite fascinated by her.

Hmmm - Rene Harris and "my hero" Harold Lowe. Now you have whetted my Harris/Lowe appetite! I await further information, and I can pay. I have a bowl full of Irish punts, which can be yours.

I called Renee Harris at the Spencer Arms Hotel in 1964 to talk about her Titanic experiences and see if she had received her Honor Membership in the newly-formed Titanic Enthusiasts of America. I remember her words like yesterday "Who gave the club that dreadful name? (I did!) How can anyone be enthusiastic about a disaster like the Titanic? I lost a beautiful husband that night". When we incorporated the club, we changed the name to Titanic Historical Society, Inc. partially because of Mrs. Harris's statement. Robert H. Gibbons, Past President and Co-Founder TEA/THS

Back