Article in Historical Journal of Film Radio and TV

Mrs. Harris is featured prominently in Moss Hart's autobiography, "Act One." Hart, along with his many other theatrical accomplishments, went on to direct the original Broadway production of "My Fair Lady" (set in 1912), with Rex Harrison and Julie Andrews. Small world.

Roy

Robert:

I missed your Aug. 1 post and have just read it now. Thanks for sharing that story. I have often heard that Rene (or Renee, as she was in later years) was the inspiration for THS’s name change, but it’s great to have it confirmed first-hand.

I’m working on Rene’s story in view of doing a book or at least a series of articles. It’s been a privilege to talk to those who knew Rene, and get their memories of her. She seems to have made a special impression on everyone. I’d like to quote your comments about Rene. May I contact you for an interview?

Randy

PS) Roy, Moss Hart gets a few mentions in Rene Harris’ unpublished memoir "My Scrambled Autobiography" and in the early 60s Life Magazine published the Rene excerpts from Moss’ book along with a nice photo of Rene. I don’t recall the exact date of that issue off-hand.

Back