Authenticity

Hello all...

I don't mean to be a skeptic, but in this day and age, there are a lot of people who are scammers. When you see something listed on ebay, like "Actual Coal" from the Titanic...How do you REALLY know that it is authentic. OK, you get a COA...Who's to say that's authentic too ?? I would LOVE to buy something authentic from the Titanic, but I don't want to be taken either.

Thank you.

It's important that there is a documented chain of custody with some of higher-end pieces. As an example I sell larger pieces that have about a dozen items of evidence (paperwork) that directly link its origins.

Letters from the original owner or a grouping of letters from those respected in the hobby are usually pretty solid. Any legit seller will be up front and honest about the provenance on a particular piece when asked. The better the provenance, the more value it holds, thus, the more expensive it will be.

In most cases the saying "you get what you pay for" holds true.

Coal is usually safe when it's from RMS Titanic Inc. since they are the originating source. Books are usually safe as well. Pics and PC's can be risky.

If you are looking for something more, with a direct connection to Titanic, feel free to contact me at [email protected] or you can browse my site.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Back